Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / Greenville–Spartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Some of us are already talking DFW.
I'm thinking more in terms of using AUS as a base and investigating viewing locations an hour or so west
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm thinking more in terms of using AUS as a base and investigating viewing locations an hour or so west
In any case, Texas is probably better overall than some of the other possible locations in terms of weather. (I lucked out with the actual 2017 eclipse but ended up missing my connecting flight because of weather delays out of BNA today. )
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:20 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I saw the total eclipse of the sun in South Carolina — almost exactly in the middle of the path of totality. That location was literally a last-minute decision — otherwise, I would have posted my intentions in this discussion.

Despite all of the angst I went through — many hours of traffic and pouring rain — I would do it all over again without hesitation.

I wished I could tell those who only saw a partial solar eclipse that they were not missing anything — but I would be blatantly lying to them.

If you have the opportunity to see a total solar eclipse, accept no less than 100 percent totality — lest you be disappointed.

Chile on July 2, 2019, anyone?
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm already planning for it!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:09 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Eclipse chasing is also extremely compatible with FlyerTalk: Got to see the eclipse with perfect weather and looking at 12,880 air miles to get there and back home (and drove about 900 car miles).

I was practically on the centerline near Oregon/Idaho border area based on high chance of good weather, flying to/from SLC as this was a bit last moment, booked only 2 weeks before.

The traffic jams SLC-Oregon were less than I expected (none to get up there the day before, pretty bad, but not horrible, in a few spots driving back down to SLC, about doubling the driving time).

Agree with everyone about totality being totally worth even quite serious travel effort, partial is meh.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I was thinking worst-case scenario would be 8-9 hours to get home. It took us TWELVE hours to get home last night (just after 1am). I-25 was an absolute parking lot starting about 20 miles north of Glendo State Park all the way to Wheatland. We then averaged about 20mph for the next 80 miles to Cheyenne, where there was another parking lot through the city (fortunately Google told us to take some side roads). For reference, on Saturday, we drove from Cheyenne to Casper in 2h30m. Yesterday, it took 9h30m to go the opposite way. I was finally able to go the speed limit once I hit Loveland, CO.

Every gas station and restaurant along the highway were jammed packed. I was actually surprised that none ran out of gas (or food).

I didn't see a single wreck, and just a handful of broken down cars (mainly flat tires). There were many people who stopped on the side of the road just to relax or go to the bathroom.
It took us 2.5 hours to make it from Fort Collins to the rest stop just south of Glendo. We left Ft Collins at 5:30am. On the way back we left about 5 mins after totality completed and made it back to Fort Collins in 2 hours.

With the quick flow of traffic leaving that quickly I can tell you that three or four semi trucks going 65-70 created some slow down, but the biggest slow down came from the highway patrol in the median of the interstate. As soon as people could see the patrol cars they would slow down way below the speed limit. Once you hit Colorado it seemed there was a patrol car every mile.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
After seeing the eclipse from just NE of Nashville, TN, it took ~3 hrs. to drive to my hotel just south of SDF for my flight home the next day.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Watched the eclipse in Columbia SC- on Lake Murray in a pontoon boat. We were planning to head to Lexington/Columbia anyway as it is just a 50 mile drive. Then a last minute invite from my cousin put us in an incredible spot in the middle of the lake with hundreds of other boaters. I was absolutely awestruck! We were rooting for the folks in Charleston where it seemed most of the rain was!

This eclipse now goes on my Top Ten Life Experiences list!

I am definitely considering Chile for 2019!!!

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I saw the total eclipse of the sun in South Carolina — almost exactly in the middle of the path of totality. That location was literally a last-minute decision — otherwise, I would have posted my intentions in this discussion.

Despite all of the angst I went through — many hours of traffic and pouring rain — I would do it all over again without hesitation.

I wished I could tell those who only saw a partial solar eclipse that they were not missing anything — but I would be blatantly lying to them.

If you have the opportunity to see a total solar eclipse, accept no less than 100 percent totality — lest you be disappointed.

Chile on July 2, 2019, anyone?
JohnSydney2000 and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Watched it on a rural farm in Cerulean (~15min west of Hopkinsville). The only thing that could have been better would be more animals - want to see their reaction! Otherwise, what a glorious day. Hardly a cloud in sight.

On the way back to Indy, delay added 30% to the drive. Thank God for Google Maps rerouting to save time.

Cat1 Marriott redemption 1.5hr from greatest duration = good deal!

Indy gets 4 whole minutes in 2024!!

Last edited by italdesign; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Curious, how did you pick your viewing spot? Did you pay?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by italdesign
Curious, how did you pick your viewing spot?
FTer hosted an event at their place.

Did you pay?
Nope.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I chose my viewing spot because it was:

• Closest to where I am based
  • Conveniently located off of a major Interstate highway
  • In the parking lot of a hotel property, which did not cost me anything — and that decision was literally at the last second as I drove up to it
Originally Posted by miffSC
I am definitely considering Chile for 2019!!!
Seeing you again would be my honor and pleasure.
miffSC likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:22 pm

My driveway was almost on the center line of the totality band, so I had a few folks over for BBQ and sun.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by greg0ire
That's surprising. The traffic completely disappeared about 20 miles south of Portland around 12:30pm. We didn't drive beyond Portland however.
We left the north end of Salem at about 1025am. Rental car return time was 1204pm. The first several miles were quick, and then stop/go until just before the 5/205 split, and then it moved at full speed again. The rental car return was eerie because it was almost completely empty, with a large crew of people awaiting the onslaught.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
We left the north end of Salem at about 1025am. Rental car return time was 1204pm. The first several miles were quick, and then stop/go until just before the 5/205 split, and then it moved at full speed again. The rental car return was eerie because it was almost completely empty, with a large crew of people awaiting the onslaught.
The good news is that your rental car company seems to have planned ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.