FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   MCI BBQ DO XI - May 13-15, 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1745814-mci-bbq-do-xi-may-13-15-2016-a.html)

MCI777 Feb 12, 2016 7:18 am

MCI BBQ DO XI - May 13-15, 2016

MCI BBQ DO XI -- May 13-15. 2016

It's that time of year again!! This year I am going to leave this do pretty much the same, HOWEVER, I would like to add Q39 at some point. This place has moved into the top 3 BBQ joints in KC,

Based off our traditional schedule:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, May 13th -
HAPPY HOUR - Char Bar, 4050 Pennsylvania, KCMO 630-815

Dinner @ 8:30pm. PM me for Reservation name.

Q39 - 1000 W 39th STreet, Kansas City, MO
https://q39kc.com/

- Starting off this year with something new!! Q39 is the new KC hot spot for BBQ! You can't go wrong with anything on the menu, so just bring an empty stomach!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, May 14th - 11am until we fall into a food coma. As usual, we'll be winging it after KC Joe's.

Joe's Kansas City (formerly Oklahoma Joe's) (inside the Diamond Shamrock gas station)--Mission Road---This one is on the Kansas side.
www.joeskc.com
- Get here early (suggest 10:45am - before it opens) because this place fills up fast! A favorite is the Z-Man and the onion rings.

A new favorite of mine is Q39 which is INSANELY delicious but requires reservations. I HIGHLY recommend a meal there.
www.q39kc.com

Stroud's
http://www.stroudsrestaurant.com/north.html
- If you want a palate cleanser from BBQ, there's fried chicken (is anything healthy for you in KC?) at Stroud's! I may go there just for the cinnamon rolls!

Danny Edward's
www.dannyedwardsblvdbbq.com
- We walked away pretty impressed with the brisket two years ago.

LC's
- Easily located by the billowing clouds of smoke. The burnt ends are especially good here.

Arthur Bryant's
www.arthurbryantsbbq.com
- Another favorite. Try the sausage, brisket, and/or pulled pork.

Gates BBQ (the Original) on Brooklyn Avenue
www.gatesbbq.com
- "Hi, May I Help You?" - prepare to be yelled at when you walk in. Some people are fans of Gates, but my friends and I walked away several times, unimpressed.

- Foo's Frozen Custard
http://www.foosfabulousfrozencustard...best_2010.html
- It doesn't matter if you're stuffed by now or not. Frozen custard just fills in the cracks!

In between BBQ joints, many of us will be buying Christopher Elbow chocolates, going to Harrah's to try our luck at craps, or visiting one of many museums located in throughout the city.

------------------------------------------------
Sunday, May 15th

- You're on your own this day, and most people head for the airport in the morning. If you're going to stay longer to sample more BBQ, keep in mind that Oklahoma Joe's is closed on Sundays.

CONFIRMED:

MCI777
AFAM-DFW
FriendlySkies
fieldeng
akp
rharris60
timeforsomecheese - SAT
timg11 - FRI
flospi
susiesan +1
Seat 2A
SeeYa - Sat

POSSIBLE:

mackieman
GLASITAIR
SeeYa
tonywestsider
pinniped

violist Feb 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Seriously? :mad:

I've got a concert on the east coast on the 14th, with dress
rehearsal the 13th. :(

flospi Feb 13, 2016 7:12 am

Well, I am interested! Not sure about if and when I can take days off, but this might be interesting!

Mackieman Feb 13, 2016 9:45 am

Definitely interested in doing this again.

Condition One Feb 14, 2016 3:43 am

Thanks for setting this up, Rob. I was just thinking last week that I should message you to see if you were planning anything this year!

AFAM-DFW Feb 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Tickets booked. Looking forward to it.

FriendlySkies Feb 14, 2016 8:14 pm

See you there, err, here! ;)

fieldeng Feb 14, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm in. Let's plan on a Royals game that Saturday night. Tickets go on sale late Feb. Then take some LC's to tailgate with.

akp Feb 14, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm in!

A few of us were talking about going to the Royals game on Saturday night. They play the Braves at 6:15.

I'm happy to coordinate tickets for anyone who would like to go. PM me or post in this thread.

It will likely be a sellout or close to it because one of the promotional giveaways is that day, and secondary market tickets will be very expensive.

Single game tickets go on sale Feb 26th.

GRALISTAIR Feb 15, 2016 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 26178824)
Definitely interested in doing this again.

Me too- I will miss Joe's to make room for Q39 :)

IceTrojan Feb 15, 2016 10:20 pm

Remember that one time in the Diamond Shamrock parking lot when FTers standing in the sun were using my laptop, tethered to my 2G phone, to book a mistake LAX-AKL J fare from the top of my trunk lid? :D

Condition One Feb 17, 2016 1:59 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 26191636)
Remember that one time in the Diamond Shamrock parking lot when FTers standing in the sun were using my laptop, tethered to my 2G phone, to book a mistake LAX-AKL J fare from the top of my trunk lid? :D

I will never forget that! Thanks again! lol

BlindPilot Feb 24, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm in.

timeforsomecheese Feb 25, 2016 6:30 am

BIG rock show in town that weekend, so if you're heading downtown, BEWARE! But I'll be in town and hope to join the gang at OK Joe's.

gvdIAD Feb 25, 2016 8:39 am

I've penciled this in on my calendar. If I am able make it, it may only be for Friday evening (though I'd try to make the KC Joe's stop Saturday morning, too).

timg11 Feb 26, 2016 7:50 am

I'm new to FT, but am happy to see something is happening in the KC area. It looks like I could make this on Friday evening.

flospi Feb 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by flospi (Post 26178263)
Well, I am interested! Not sure about if and when I can take days off, but this might be interesting!

Okay, flight are booked! Hope you don't mind showing a Swiss the art of BBQ :D

MCI777 Mar 1, 2016 6:09 pm

I'll update the attendee list this week. I've been traveling quite a bit lately and finally have some downtime to update this thread. :)

MCI777 Mar 9, 2016 8:50 pm

Just updated the attendee list. If I missed anyone, please let me know. This should be another great weekend in KC. I know a lot people want to go to Q39 at some point and honestly, I do as well. Since they take reservations only, we may do Q39 instead of Jack Stack on Friday.

What is the consensus on that?

FriendlySkies Mar 9, 2016 11:17 pm

There seemed to be a lot of interest in Q39 last year, with some people finding some space for dinner on Saturday (IIRC). I think it'd be fun to try something new, especially for those that have visited Jack Stack several times before.

Personally, I'm fine either way. It's likely easier for me to visit Q39 as it'll just require a 35 minute drive from Lawrence. Less opportunities for those flying in for the DO.

MCI777 Mar 10, 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 26311144)
There seemed to be a lot of interest in Q39 last year, with some people finding some space for dinner on Saturday (IIRC). I think it'd be fun to try something new, especially for those that have visited Jack Stack several times before.

Personally, I'm fine either way. It's likely easier for me to visit Q39 as it'll just require a 35 minute drive from Lawrence. Less opportunities for those flying in for the DO.

I tend to agree with this. I'll just make a reservation at Q39. We may not all be seated together but that happens at Jack Stack too.

flospi Mar 10, 2016 11:59 am

Originally Posted by MCI777 (Post 26310693)
Just updated the attendee list. If I missed anyone, please let me know. This should be another great weekend in KC. I know a lot people want to go to Q39 at some point and honestly, I do as well. Since they take reservations only, we may do Q39 instead of Jack Stack on Friday.

What is the consensus on that?

For me it's the first time at this do and even in MCI... so I'm fine with whatever... I have a couple of extradays to explore past favourites... and brew pubs.

susiesan Mar 14, 2016 1:11 pm

add 2 more to the list

Once again, I did not get the notification of this years event. Good thing I checked the thread from last years' since I missed it in 2015. You might want to put this on last year's thread to notify people like me who are subscribed there.

Count me and Bob in.

Q39 is excellent. I vote for going there in place of Jack Stack on Friday, especially if they will do a reserved table for us. Jack Stack is too crowded, too noisy, and they never seat us even close to the reserved time. By the time dinner comes I'm ready for bed. I just can't eat barbecue at 10:00pm. : )

Maybe after the BBQ weekend we can try again to get the KC Happy Hour going.

Seat 2A Mar 22, 2016 11:40 pm

I look forward to once again following you all around about town - at a discreet distance, of course. You'll never know I was there!

GRALISTAIR Mar 23, 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26373437)
I look forward to once again following you all around about town - at a discreet distance, of course. You'll never know I was there!

Are you definitely thinking of coming in? Because I want to meet the legendary Seat 2A, I will book and confirm my flights.

rharris60 Apr 11, 2016 8:59 pm

I will be there.

BlindPilot Apr 12, 2016 7:01 pm

I just realized that this is the weekend of my daughter's high school graduation and we have family flying in from out of town. My apology but I will now be unavailable to attend.

FriendlySkies Apr 15, 2016 11:16 am

Sharing for those who might be looking at staying with Marriott on the Plaza.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...usiness_Report

SeeYa Apr 20, 2016 2:50 pm

Please add me to the "maybe" list. I'm interested, but finding reasonably priced flights is a challenge.

tonywestsider Apr 22, 2016 9:21 pm

Please add me to the "possible" list while I confirm my travel and itinerary. Thank you!

Condition One Apr 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this year :(

See everybody next time!

susiesan May 4, 2016 12:01 pm

any news on jack Stack reservation?

Do we have an actual reservation at Jack Stack for May 13? Or is it just gather at 8:15, put in our name, and wait for a table? I hope we have a res for the side rooms. By the time we are all seated and eat is is very late, usually 10:00pm. I have a hard time having a big heavy b-b-q meal so late.

gvdIAD May 4, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm afraid I'm also out; timing just doesn't work this year. Hope to see everyone next year.

MCI777 May 4, 2016 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan (Post 26577015)
Do we have an actual reservation at Jack Stack for May 13? Or is it just gather at 8:15, put in our name, and wait for a table? I hope we have a res for the side rooms. By the time we are all seated and eat is is very late, usually 10:00pm. I have a hard time having a big heavy b-b-q meal so late.

I'm going to make a reservation for 14 (that may be a couple more than necessary) for Q39 for Friday night, the 13th. Is everyone ok with starting at Q39 this year?

SeeYa May 5, 2016 9:25 am

Please add me to the confirmed list, for Saturday activities.
Unfortunately I'll miss out on the Friday dinner, since my arrival is close to midnight.

susiesan May 5, 2016 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MCI777 (Post 26578098)
I'm going to make a reservation for 14 (that may be a couple more than necessary) for Q39 for Friday night, the 13th. Is everyone ok with starting at Q39 this year?

YES!! Put me down for 2 people, Susie and Bob Let us all know the time.
I just had lunch at Q39 Tuesday and it is sooooo good.

AFAM-DFW May 5, 2016 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by MCI777 (Post 26578098)

I look forward to the new place. See y'all there.

pinniped May 5, 2016 3:44 pm

Throw me on the "probable" list for Friday night and Saturday during the day. Need to figure out my schedule, but I do know I'm actually in KC next weekend.

susiesan May 6, 2016 8:18 am

Since dinner will be so late does anyone have a suggestion for a happy hour meeting place not too far away? We can gather for drinks and then drive over to Q 39. They don't have a bar area to hang out at.

MCI777 May 6, 2016 8:40 am

Originally Posted by susiesan (Post 26585263)
Since dinner will be so late does anyone have a suggestion for a happy hour meeting place not too far away? We can gather for drinks and then drive over to Q 39. They don't have a bar area to hang out at.

If the weather is good, we could drinks on a patio in Westport or on the Plaza to start. I think Happy Hour is a GREAT idea! ^