FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   1st Berlin Do - 7 to 9 October 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1715124-1st-berlin-do-7-9-october-2016-a.html)

*A Flyer Oct 7, 2015 2:13 pm

1st Berlin Do - 6 to 9 October 2016

The last Franconian Do was a dangerous thing (thanks f0zzyNUE) and I may, under some level of coercion, have agreed to host a Do here in Die Deutsche Hauptstadt, Berlin.

So, save the date, we will be meeting over the US Columbus Day weekend from Thursday 6 to Sunday 9 October 2016 for beer, food and just a little Berlin history.

As a general idea the weekend will likely be structured a bit like OzFest and Franconian Do with a couple of activities during the day and a dinner in the evening but with everything being pretty casual so that everyone has plenty of fun. The plan will be for welcome drinks and dinner on Thursday with the main Do Activities on Friday and Saturday. Sunday should be a lazy day to say farewell.

More details will follow but hopefully you can make it just 365 days (less than that now) from now.

*A Flyer Oct 7, 2015 2:13 pm

Program

Booking is now open at https://berlindo2016.eventbrite.com

Registration will be possible until 30 September unless numbers are reached early. Please register as early as possible to help make planning easier.

Thursday 6 October

Welcome Drinks

Time: 18:00
Venue: John Muir
Address: Skalitzerstrasse 51, Berlin-Kreuzberg
Closest Transport: U Gorlitzer Bahnhof
Please have cash to pay your tab.

Dinner
Time: 20:00
Venue: Hasir Ocakbasi Restaurant
Address: Adalbertstrasse 12, Berlin-Kreuzberg
Closest Transport: U Kottbusser Tor
Please have cash or card to pay your tab.

Friday 7 October

Berlin Express Tour

Time: 09:50 for 10:00
Meeting Point: Gendarmenmarkt (directly opposite Hilton hotel)
Closest Transport: U Stadtmitte (U2) Exit Charlottenstrasse
Ending Point: Brandenburg Gate

Free time to find lunch and explore the area. Perhaps try and get a booking to visit the Reichstag Dome, head to the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe or take a walk through the Tiergarten.

Rebel Berlin Tour
Time: 14:20 for 14:30
Meeting Point: Pariser Platz/Brandenburg Gate (outside French Embassy)
Closest Transport: S+U Brandenburger Tor
Ending Point: Schillingbrucke, Berlin-Friedichshain

Dinner
Time: 19:00
Venue: Weihenstephaner Berlin (Menu)
Address: Hackeschermarkt, Berlin-Mitte
Closest Transport: S Hackeschermarkt

Beer Tour
Leaving after we have finished dinner in two groups. We will head on different routes to avoid overcrowding.

Saturday 8 October

Tempelhof Airport Tour

Time: 09:15 at Meeting Point for 09:45 at Tempelhof Airport
Tour Start: Tempelhof Airport General Aviation Terminal, Tempelhofer Damm 1-7
Closest Transport: U Platz der Luftbrucke

Free time to find lunch and return to Gendarmenmarkt for the Spies and Escapes Tour. Maybe checkout Mehringdamm (home to some of Berlin's most famous Currywurst (Curry 36) and Doner Kebap (Mustafa's)) or head back into the centre of town.

Spies and Escapes Tour
Time: 14:20 for 14:30
Ending Point: Mauerpark

Dinner
Time: 19:30
Venue: Maximilians (The menu is available here)
Address: Friedrichstrasse 185-190, Berlin-Mitte
Closest Transport: U Stadtmitte
Please have cash to pay for drinks.

Sunday 9 October

Brunch
Time: 09:30 at Meeting Point for 10:00 at Restaurant
Venue: Hofbrau Berlin (www.hofbraeu-wirtshaus.de/en/bavarian-brunch/)
Address: Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 30, Berlin-Mitte
Closest Transport: S+U Alexanderplatz

Cruise
Time: 12:15 for 12:30 (Do Not Be Late!)
Meeting Point: Stern und Kreis Schiffahrtstelle Reichstag Ufer/Friedrich Strasse
Closest Transport: S+U Friedrichstrasse

*A Flyer Oct 7, 2015 2:14 pm

Host (1)
*A Flyer

Platinum - Confirmed (50)
*A Flyer+1
anc RED-EYE
angra
Angust
arollins
arollins+1
bdnyc
beckoa
bettertoturnleftthanright
BOB W
Calchas
Cappex
cistavoda
EI147
El_Duderito
exilencfc
feethigh
flospi
GrjApp
gvdIAD
HamburgAround
HamburgAround+1
HPN-HRL
ixs
ixs +1
jackal
jolly.jumper
jswong
JY1024
kirkwoodj
klausa
lili
lynnevt
MAM88
NewbieRunner
nomadic.relief
nufnuf77
ORD-TGU
pfbloom
Polkacat
restlessinRNO
Sea777guy
the_happiness_store
UncleJed
UncleJed +1
violist
youseeme
ysolde
Ysolde+1

*A Flyer Oct 7, 2015 2:14 pm

Hotels

Berlin is well supplied with hotels from most of the major chains. The better hotels tend to be clustered in a few areas in and around Gendarmenmarkt (and the historic centre more generally), Potsdamer Platz and in the former West Berlin around the Kurfürstendamm and Zoo. Do Activities are likely to be focussed more on areas in the historic centre of Berlin and not around Kurfürstendamm.

Berlin is also well equipped with a variety of popular boutique hotels and cheaper local chains including Maritim and Motel One which can be good value options.

Flights

Thanks to the ongoing trouble building the perpetually soon-to-be-open Berlin Brandenburg Airport, Berlin is served by two airports, Tegel and Schönefeld. Most legacy carriers serve Tegel while easyJet, Ryanair, Norwegian and some other carriers serve Schönefeld. Tegel is far more convenient to the city.

A taxi from Tegel to most hotels in the city centre will cost approximately €25 and takes 20 minutes. Public transportation is available using the TXL bus at a cost of €2.70.

A taxi from Schönefeld to most hotels in the city centre will cost approximately €35-40 and takes 45 minutes. Public transportation is available using the S-Bahn train at a cost of €3.30. The public transport ticket will allow you to connect to a bus, tram or U-Bahn line within 90 minutes.

Trains

This is Flyertalk but in some cases trains will be a sensible way to either come to or from Berlin. Deutsche Bahn run fast and reliable train services to Berlin from all major German cities. The InterCityExpress (ICE) trains can be an worthwhile from Frankfurt, Hamburg, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Munich and Hannover. Overnight trains are available from Amsterdam, Zürich, Vienna and Budapest.

exilencfc Oct 7, 2015 2:35 pm

I hope to be in attendance! I've been meaning to go back to Berlin

gvdIAD Oct 7, 2015 2:41 pm

Count me as probable/possible. Thanks for organizing! It's been about 6 years since I was last there, so definitely time to return.

polkacat Oct 7, 2015 2:53 pm

Never been to Berlin - what a lovely excuse to go! Count me in the very interested column.

ClaudiSTR Oct 7, 2015 2:59 pm

I'm interested very much.
Although I'm in Berlin very often, I would love to join the Do and appreciate meeting fellow Flyertalkers again.

Please count me as possible.

Hippo72 Oct 7, 2015 3:11 pm

Just put a note in my calendar. So please put me on the "possible" list.
Too early for a confimation.

Thanks!

JY1024 Oct 7, 2015 3:22 pm

Certainly add me to the "possible" list as well!

I, too, have never been to Berlin, so this may just be the impetus to do so. :)

seacarl Oct 7, 2015 3:27 pm

I love to visit Berlin. Put me down as tentative.

seacarl Oct 7, 2015 3:29 pm

My bet is that the new BER isn't open by then. I don't know if they have announced any dates and I haven't followed since they found that the roof structure isn't strong enough to support the fire ventilation equipment...

nomadic.relief Oct 7, 2015 3:38 pm

^^:D

Definitely count me in as "almost certainly likely"!! I have scheduled it into the calendar already. :D

restlessinRNO Oct 7, 2015 4:12 pm

Please add me to the possible list. Thank you. :)

Cappex Oct 7, 2015 4:13 pm

I can't wait for *A flyer to show me how I can come 'zum Rausche' in Berlin :D
Please count me as a very strong possible.