FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Alaska Do 2015: The Deadliest Catch Do (Dutch Harbor, AK) | Aug 29-Sep 6, 2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1617950-alaska-do-2015-deadliest-catch-do-dutch-harbor-ak-aug-29-sep-6-2015-a.html)

alphaeagle Nov 15, 2014 2:17 pm

I was in Dutch Harbor a few years ago and took a bunch of pictures. Here's a short Trip Report:
http://alphaeagle.com/2014/10/dutch-harbor-alaska/

I stayed at the Grand Aleutian, thought it was a pretty nice hotel for the remoteness of the Island. The Unisea Inn (which is actually now called the Harbor View Inn) I didn't step inside, but from what I could tell it would be pleasant enough to stay inn.

The Convention and Visitors Bureau also has a bunch of information:
http://www.unalaska.info/

beckoa Nov 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle (Post 23847031)
I was in Dutch Harbor a few years ago and took a bunch of pictures. Here's a short Trip Report:
http://alphaeagle.com/2014/10/dutch-harbor-alaska/

I stayed at the Grand Aleutian, thought it was a pretty nice hotel for the remoteness of the Island. The Unisea Inn (which is actually now called the Harbor View Inn) I didn't step inside, but from what I could tell it would be pleasant enough to stay inn.

The Convention and Visitors Bureau also has a bunch of information:
http://www.unalaska.info/

Thanks for sharing ^

the_happiness_store Nov 17, 2014 8:52 pm

This has definitely piqued my interest. I have found awards from ANC-DUT but still working on ORD-ANC. Once upon a time I was a somebody but now I am a person with lots of mile but no status so I need to learn the rules for me screwing up or being screwed with.

Interestingly enough I did find ORD-ANC-DUT and return with a stopover but for 62,500 miles. By the way monitor that ANC-DUT flight is available for less than 1k today, still more than $900.

monitor Nov 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store (Post 23857874)
...Interestingly enough I did find ORD-ANC-DUT and return with a stopover but for 62,500 miles. By the way monitor that ANC-DUT flight is available for less than 1k today, still more than $900.

Whatever it is for cash, I borrowed some AS miles and we will arrive DUT 330PM Wed and leave 730PM Thursday. With luck, I can pay this back with SkyPesos, of which I have plenty. But I really do not think so. :rolleyes:

I too have not yet arranged transpo from the Lower 48 to ANC and am waiting just a bit to try to figure out what might be happening all summer. Hope you can make it.

jackal Nov 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store (Post 23857874)
This has definitely piqued my interest. I have found awards from ANC-DUT but still working on ORD-ANC. Once upon a time I was a somebody but now I am a person with lots of mile but no status so I need to learn the rules for me screwing up or being screwed with.

Interestingly enough I did find ORD-ANC-DUT and return with a stopover but for 62,500 miles. By the way monitor that ANC-DUT flight is available for less than 1k today, still more than $900.

If you're booking using AS miles, you can book ANC-DUT now and then add on ORD-ANC if/when it opens up for no fee, as long as the change is made >60 days before travel. (AS does not charge a change fee for changes outside of 60 days of travel.)

If you're booking using miles from other airlines...I'll have to let the experts on those carriers speak to that...

CDKing Nov 18, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm not sure what days you were looking to leave ORD but for 40K AS miles

My first search was ANC-ORD 8/27 - ANC-DUT 9/1/14 - DUT-ANC 9/3 - ANC-ORD 9/6

With the current buy miles promo its $916 to buy the miles. The same flights revenue would be $1600 so pretty good discount.

the_happiness_store Nov 27, 2014 10:45 am

When I first looked and posted to this thread ANC-DUT was available both ways. For the past week ANC-DUT has only been available outbound. I only have AA miles but I was a fool for not jumping on the award when I saw it. I'm now monitoring several times a day.

beckoa Nov 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store (Post 23906828)
When I first looked and posted to this thread ANC-DUT was available both ways. For the past week ANC-DUT has only been available outbound. I only have AA miles but I was a fool for not jumping on the award when I saw it. I'm now monitoring several times a day.

It looks like with the schedule change AS has added a new flight and opened a sizable amount of saver space on the outbound. Not sure if the return was already taken, or if more will be released in the coming days:

Code:

AS (**) 3286 0 ANC
09/01/15 6:45 AM DUT
09/01/15 9:45 AM SF3
Daily
NA / NA Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7 K7 G4 T0 R0 N7 W5 E7

Seeing as no seats are taken on the Thursday morning return, I'd guess more saver will open up.

CDKing Nov 27, 2014 4:59 pm

AS 3297 the 7:30pm ANC-DUT has changed to 6:30pm

bdschobel Dec 1, 2014 7:06 pm

Count me in!

This sounds like a wonderful trip! I'll be there -- in Dutch Harbor, anyway. I got an award ticket from FLL to ANC on 8/31, continuing on to DUT the next morning. I'm flying back to ANC late on 9/3, staying there about 30 hours, then flying to NYC on the 5th. All flights are booked and purchased. Need to work on some hotels now.

Bruce

ETA: Got a room in Anchorage for August 31 and September 3, 4 (leaving on the 5th). Sent email to Grand Aleutian, after they didn't answer their phone.

jackal Dec 1, 2014 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 23926717)
This sounds like a wonderful trip! I'll be there -- in Dutch Harbor, anyway. I got an award ticket from FLL to ANC on 8/31, continuing on to DUT the next morning. I'm flying back to ANC late on 9/3, staying there about 30 hours, then flying to NYC on the 5th. All flights are booked and purchased. Need to work on some hotels now.

Bruce

^^

beckoa Dec 1, 2014 10:12 pm

Bruce

Welcome!

ETA: Got a room in Anchorage for August 31 and September 3, 4 (leaving on the 5th). Sent email to Grand Aleutian, after they didn't answer their phone.

We were going to see if they do group rates- haven't contacted them yet though.

jackal Dec 1, 2014 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 23927380)
We were going to see if they do group rates- haven't contacted them yet though.

Correction: you were going to see if they do group rates. :p

beckoa Dec 1, 2014 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 23927474)
Correction: you were going to see if they do group rates. :p

I was posting this as a reminder to myself. As our group keeps growing maybe our odds do too... :D

And we'll need a group reservation for the Seafood Extravaganza on Wed :D

bdschobel Dec 2, 2014 8:48 am

For sure! I'm really looking forward to that.

Bruce