FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Alaska Do 2015: The Deadliest Catch Do (Dutch Harbor, AK) | Aug 29-Sep 6, 2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1617950-alaska-do-2015-deadliest-catch-do-dutch-harbor-ak-aug-29-sep-6-2015-a.html)

BOB W Oct 8, 2014 9:29 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 23643910)
I just grabbed the 4:15PM. all 3 were available about 7:30am Eastern. now per EF none on the 1:30. 1 left at 4:15pm and 2 left on 7:30PM

*Edit* just checked again and its down to 1 seat left on the 7:30PM. Hopefully someone in our group grabs it soon.

I checked the 9/3 flights and its down to 1 on the 1:30 so these go really fast.

I think there may be extenuating circumstances for those flights;)

I doubt they go that fast normally.

Now, who really, really wants to spend 3.5 hours in a prop plane?:eek:

GrjApp Oct 8, 2014 9:50 am

Any hints on what the activities might be on the Thursday in DUT? As in, what will be missed if one leaves on Thursday back to ANC (the 4.15 flight).

jackal Oct 8, 2014 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 23645074)
Any hints on what the activities might be on the Thursday in DUT? As in, what will be missed if one leaves on Thursday back to ANC (the 4.15 flight).

The final schedule is TBD, but it's probably not the end of the world.

monitor Oct 8, 2014 4:42 pm

We are in on the Wednesday afternoon flight ANC-DUT and out on the Thursday late flight.

The timing looks bad for us for any pre-DO but our vote for any post-DO activity is strongly in favor of Denali since in our opinion, that is a place one never tires of visiting.

Valdez is a pretty little town where you can get excellent fish and chips, located on a lovely bay. We have already driven over there and come back via the car ferry. We do not think it is anywhere near the attraction as is that park.

beckoa Oct 8, 2014 5:38 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by jackal

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 23645074)

The final schedule is TBD, but it's probably not the end of the world.

Nope...that would be ADK ;)

jackal Oct 8, 2014 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 23647558)
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Shh...you're ruining the surprise for Alaska Do 2028. ;)

beckoa Oct 8, 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by jackal

Hey...2028 was clearly to be GAM :p

Back on topic however... for those who haven't found award space yet are still interested, this could be an excellent use of a BoA AS companion certificate. The cities must be served by AS, and due to the Wet Lease AS runs, DUT qualifies. If you have questions feel free to pm jackal or I, or post away.

GrjApp Oct 8, 2014 6:16 pm

I ran into a snag ticketing my flights via AA.com - they claim since they don't have an agreement with the operating carrier, PenAir, they can't ticket it, regardless of the codeshare with AS. Did anybody else use AA miles??

jackal Oct 8, 2014 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 23647706)
I ran into a snag ticketing my flights via AA.com - they claim since they don't have an agreement with the operating carrier, PenAir, they can't ticket it, regardless of the codeshare with AS. Did anybody else use AA miles??

That's interesting.

It's not really a "codeshare" per se--it's an Alaska Airlines flight operated by PenAir, much the same way that SEA-PDX is an Alaska Airlines flight operated by Horizon Air and SEA-LGB is an Alaska Airlines flight operated by SkyWest. It's basically a regional flight.

For all intents and purposes, it is an Alaska Airlines flight, just as any "Delta Connection" flight is a Delta flight and any "American Eagle" (or "Envoy Air" or whatever it is now) flight is an American flight. (Surely AS doesn't have to maintain separate agreements with every one of DL's regional contractors--Chautauqua, Compass, Endeavor, ExpressJet, GoJet, Shuttle America, and SkyWest--separately, do they? And yet somehow they manage to ticket itineraries involving all of these regional subcontractors.)

I'm very surprised they can see and book the space but not ticket it. I'd try explaining it to them in those terms; maybe they can force it through somehow...

GrjApp Oct 8, 2014 6:40 pm

The rep cancelled my held reservations. So that popped them right back into the available pool and I booked them again, and purchased straight away this time (the Hold screen is the one that did not have the Purchase button).

It's on request now, however, I doubt it will go through - it now says the trip will cost me 0 miles and $0. If only!

Will report back with the outcome.

beckoa Oct 8, 2014 6:48 pm

Wow sorry about the fun with AA. We tested AA and DL to see if it showed space, but never tried to ticket them. It *should* go thru I'd think...

GrjApp Oct 8, 2014 7:06 pm

Well, surprise surprise - status now shows ticketed. Email confirmation with ticket# in hand. It charged me zero $ in taxes and fees (is that even possible?) But it took my miles just fine.

Really no idea why the rep (and the rep she called at aa.com) couldn't do this but the automated system could. It's definitely listed as "AS operated by PenAir" on the confirmation. It sounded like she thought the zero dollars meant it isn't valid.

I'm not sure I want to call just yet and get the AS PNR, they may just change their minds!

beckoa Oct 8, 2014 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 23647874)
Well, surprise surprise - status now shows ticketed. Email confirmation with ticket# in hand. It charged me zero $ in taxes and fees (is that even possible?) But it took my miles just fine.

Really no idea why the rep (and the rep she called at aa.com) couldn't do this but the automated system could. It's definitely listed as "AS operated by PenAir" on the confirmation. It sounded like she thought the zero dollars meant it isn't valid.

I'm not sure I want to call just yet and get the AS PNR, they may just change their minds!

Glad you're ticketed!

There are zero taxes and fees for the flight to DUT as its a....

TSA FREE FLIGHT :D

GrjApp Oct 8, 2014 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 23647914)
... TSA FREE FLIGHT :D

Bliss...

BOB W Oct 8, 2014 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 23647579)

but 2016 is still Little Diomede Island, iirc. We can see Russia from there:D