FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Belgian Beer Festival DO IV in BRU, April 26-27, 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1524596-belgian-beer-festival-do-iv-bru-april-26-27-2014-a.html)

toomanybooks Nov 24, 2013 7:42 am

Belgian Beer Festival DO IV in BRU, April 26-27, 2014

It's that time again. A number of us went to BRU the last three years for the ZBF, the biggest beer festival in Belgium. Belgian beers are considered perhaps the best in the world and we had excellent visits.

ZBF 2014 is coming the last weekend of April: http://www.zbf.be/index.php?lang=UK&page=1 You can see there the amazing beer list from last year. It's in Leuven in an top-notch non-smoking convention hall, a short train/shuttle commute from BRU.

Previous years' threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...il-2013-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...be-longer.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...rch-1-8-a.html

KMA26 and I are staying at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel, Rue du Parnasse 19, very near Luxembourg train station. The management knows us well and has been very hospitable. Walking distance to one of the best frites stands in the city! Rooms as low as 69 Euro on weekends, last I checked. There is a decent-looking Radisson Blu around the corner.

We are going a few days ahead and will likely head west for a bit and visit some breweries and famous beer restaurants/sites. Please join us. Probably the cafe at Westvleteren (many consider the best beer in the world), St. Bernardus (with a great B&B next door), De Struise, and De Heeren van Liedekircke (best beer restaurant in the world; amazing and not to be missed if you have the chance). Google those for details.

The last 2 years, on the Wednesday before ZBF, there has been held the "Great Belgian Beer Dinner." Spectacular food/beer combos. 99 Euros, but about 8-9 courses and one of the best meals you will ever have. polkacat went in 2013 and told me it lasted 7 hours! EDIT 1/24/14: polkacat found a Facebook post confirming the evening of April 23 for this event. Full details to come about 2/7/14.

Links:

Video 2013 in Dutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoLqXx_iG4I
Video 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqiJlHqWEq4
2013 info including menus: http://www.lekkervlaanderen.be/reservation.htm

On Fri. April 25 the "Night of Great Thirst" will be held in Eizeringen, about 45 minutes by bus from BRU. This is held every 2 years and features lambics/gueuzes, the famous sour Belgian beers. Some of us went in 2012 and are returning for sure. Link about 2012: http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/50675

If you only want to devote 1-2 days to beer, April 26 in Amsterdam is "King's Day," the inaugural installment of the annual monarch's birthday festival replacing the famous "Queen's Day" in Amsterdam. You can get from BRU to AMS and v.v. by train easily. Several of our previous attendees went to "Queen's Day." http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/expe...y-in-amsterdam

If you'd like to join us in BRU, or might do so, please comment in this thread. Thanks.

Attending

toomanybooks
KMA26
polkacat
Michilander + 1
arollins + 1
richtravels

Probably

AFAM-DFW + 1

Maybe

FredEX17
mecabq

AFAM-DFW Nov 24, 2013 8:22 am

Please put me and my wife as a probably for the BRU-AMS combo.

toomanybooks Nov 24, 2013 8:31 am

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW (Post 21844225)
Please put me and my wife as a probably for the BRU-AMS combo.

Looking forward to seeing you!

polkacat Dec 4, 2013 9:59 pm

Definitely interested although it'll have to be a quick trip for me - Night of the Great Thirst & ZBF only.

toomanybooks Dec 5, 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 21906143)
Definitely interested although it'll have to be a quick trip for me - Night of the Great Thirst & ZBF only.

Excellent, let us know one way or another.

FredEX17 Dec 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Maybe for now... Very interested, but need to work datesl out. Thanks!

toomanybooks Dec 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by FredEX17 (Post 21940778)
Maybe for now... Very interested, but need to work datesl out. Thanks!

Terrific, let us know. Thanks.

mecabq Dec 11, 2013 5:03 am

I had great, albeit short, times the last two years -- thanks especially to toomanybooks and KMA26 for your hospitality.

Please put me as a maybe; I would like to try Westvleteren and the "Great Belgian Beer Dinner" (if it happens) this year.

I stayed two years ago at Martin's Klooster, a nice boutique hotel in Leuven, the only downside of which (aside from no points of course) is that the location is not great for ZBF. Last year the Novotel right at the Leuven train station was perfect (though also no points in any program of use to me).

Thanks again for organizing.

toomanybooks Dec 11, 2013 6:55 am

Originally Posted by mecabq (Post 21945392)
I had great, albeit short, times the last two years -- thanks especially to toomanybooks and KMA26 for your hospitality.

Please put me as a maybe; I would like to try Westvleteren and the "Great Belgian Beer Dinner" (if it happens) this year.

I stayed two years ago at Martin's Klooster, a nice boutique hotel in Leuven, the only downside of which (aside from no points of course) is that the location is not great for ZBF. Last year the Novotel right at the Leuven train station was perfect (though also no points in any program of use to me).

Thanks again for organizing.

Looking forward to seeing you again. Hope you can stay longer this time.

polkacat Jan 9, 2014 11:45 am

You can move me to the Definite column, please. :) Not sure yet which day I will arrive but I will be there!

toomanybooks Jan 9, 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 22119265)
You can move me to the Definite column, please. :) Not sure yet which day I will arrive but I will be there!

The Cat is back!

toomanybooks Jan 9, 2014 2:27 pm

KMA26 and I are discussing maybe Antwerp for the Thurs right before the festivities. Hoping to hit the Kulminator, one of the great beer bars of the world.

I am HH Diamond and we are considering the Antwerp Hilton.

For Wed. night, undecided. Probably wherever the Great Belgian Beer Dinner is held, assuming it comes off again.

Last time he and I bought and shared a 10-ride pass on the Belgian train system. 74 Euro for 10 one-ways from anywhere to anywhere in Belgium. You can have as many people on the pass as you have rides remaining. Great deal!

malmostoso Jan 9, 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 22120505)
KMA26 and I are discussing maybe Antwerp for the Thurs right before the festivities. Hoping to hit the Kulminator, one of the great beer bars of the world.

Friendly advice: if you want to go to Kulminator make sure you get there early (around opening time, 17h IIRC) as the place is small and fills up pretty quickly.

toomanybooks Jan 10, 2014 1:07 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 22123212)
Friendly advice: if you want to go to Kulminator make sure you get there early (around opening time, 17h IIRC) as the place is small and fills up pretty quickly.

Yes, thanks. Also make sure it's open, a failure on our part last time we went.

Hope you can join us for part of the time.

malmostoso Jan 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 22123717)
Hope you can join us for part of the time.

I find Zythos too crowded so I won't be joining for that, but I definitely will go to the Night of the Great Thirst. Closer to the date we can arrange how to meet!

toomanybooks Jan 11, 2014 10:32 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 22129758)
I find Zythos too crowded so I won't be joining for that, but I definitely will go to the Night of the Great Thirst. Closer to the date we can arrange how to meet!

Hope you can make it.

toomanybooks Jan 11, 2014 10:33 am

I have an acquaintance who works for Brussels Airlines. He may be able to get us 15%-off coupons. PM me if that airline's routing/fares are interesting to you.

toomanybooks Jan 13, 2014 9:01 am

My contact at Brussels Airlines says he is happy to provide 15%-off codes. However, it's that airline's flights only, no codeshares.

As I understand it, you'd have to fly from IAD or JFK only (from the US).

Michilander Jan 22, 2014 11:59 am

Turns out my wife and I are going to be in Brussels at this time and hope to do a day at ZBF. We have yet to do one of these FT Do's. Are they open to everyone? Is there a protocol I should be aware of?

Thanks.

toomanybooks Jan 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander (Post 22202123)
Turns out my wife and I are going to be in Brussels at this time and hope to do a day at ZBF. We have yet to do one of these FT Do's. Are they open to everyone? Is there a protocol I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Open to all, attend as much or as little as you like. If you like, I will put you down as confirmed.

Michilander Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 22202307)
Open to all, attend as much or as little as you like. If you like, I will put you down as confirmed.

Yes, please. If you keep count, there will be two of us.

Will there be an opportunity of all of us to meet each other (although, I see that some of you already know each other)?

toomanybooks Jan 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander (Post 22202555)
Yes, please. If you keep count, there will be two of us.

Will there be an opportunity of all of us to meet each other (although, I see that some of you already know each other)?

I'll add you to the list; welcome aboard.

Yes, most of us already know one another; majority are from the Chicago area.

If you are there before the weekend, we probably would meet somewhere for dinner, beer, and/or frites, or just general walking around.

Friday night in Eizeringen is not to be missed if you can make it. Best sour beers in the world at a festival in a little town sort of out in the country. Someone once told me that there is not even an ATM there.

polkacat Jan 29, 2014 12:48 pm

If anyone is looking to use AA miles to get to BRU, availability on AA metal just opened up ORD-LHR when I was looking earlier today.

arollins Jan 30, 2014 1:24 pm

Its official, Rollins party of 2 have booked their tickets. Arrival Thursday the 24th, returning Monday the 28th.

toomanybooks Jan 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 22254160)
Its official, Rollins party of 2 have booked their tickets. Arrival Thursday the 24th, returning Monday the 28th.

I knew it! Staying at the aloft again?

arollins Jan 31, 2014 6:18 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 22255261)
I knew it! Staying at the aloft again?

Probably, the last few years prices where 55EUR, this year its 87EUR. I'm also looking at the Rad Blu by the main train station, that will save a lot in transfer time and EUR back and forth to the Schuman station, its pricing at 127EUR, or 44k night redemption. Will see, I presume you guys are at the Marriott?

KMA26 Jan 31, 2014 6:48 am

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 22258100)
Probably, the last few years prices where 55EUR, this year its 87EUR. I'm also looking at the Rad Blu by the main train station, that will save a lot in transfer time and EUR back and forth to the Schuman station, its pricing at 127EUR, or 44k night redemption. Will see, I presume you guys are at the Marriott?

Glad to hear you're confirmed to be at the Do again this year!

Our current reservations are at the Renaissance Brussels for Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. The hotel is one block from the Luxemburg Station. Current "weekend rate" you could get is 79 EUR per night (or 67.15 EUR Advance Pay, no refund for Fri and Sat).

malmostoso Jan 31, 2014 7:30 am

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 22258100)
that will save a lot in transfer time and EUR back and forth to the Schuman station

The metro runs directly from Schuman to Central Station in less than 10 minutes and for less than 2EUR. But the Radisson Blu is in a much better position to explore town!

richtravels Feb 1, 2014 3:38 pm

My reservations are made. I will arrive BRU on Tuesday. Reservations at the Renaissance Brussels for Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. Hope to join you for some of the other activities.

richtravels Feb 1, 2014 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 22247284)
If anyone is looking to use AA miles to get to BRU, availability on AA metal just opened up ORD-LHR when I was looking earlier today.

Thank you. Just booked AA into BRU and on AirBerlin out of Berlin.

toomanybooks Feb 1, 2014 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by richtravels (Post 22266795)
My reservations are made. I will arrive BRU on Tuesday. Reservations at the Renaissance Brussels for Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. Hope to join you for some of the other activities.

Welcome aboard!

toomanybooks Feb 14, 2014 7:10 am

Great Belgian Beer Dinner officially announced (thanks, polkacat):

http://www.lekkervlaanderen.be/en/th...er-dinner-2014

April 23, 7 pm, Ghent

Tickets go on sale Feb. 23. In previous years we have used Paypal. Limited seating. 99 Euro.

toomanybooks Feb 14, 2014 8:23 am

Some of the blogs are reporting that Brussels Airlines award space is now bookable through United's website.

AaronD23 Mar 17, 2014 5:15 am

Not to compete with the other hotel suggested, but may I suggest for those people who are planning to spend the night in Brussels to do so at the Crowne Plaza Le Palace in Brussels. It is a renowned 4 * hotel, 5 min walk from the Midi train station which will take you to Leuven in 20 minutes. If you are planning to stay there, let me know so I can contact the guest experience manager of the place to take good care of you ;-)

toomanybooks Mar 19, 2014 6:32 am

AaronD23:

Thanks for your post. Hope you can join us.

polkacat Mar 20, 2014 10:03 am

Information about Night of the Great Thirst is now available at http://www.geuzegenootschap.be/nacht-van-de-grote-dorst.

Michilander Apr 15, 2014 11:41 am

We are arriving on the 23rd and are also staying at the Ren. We are booked out on the 30th. I'm not sure I will be able to make the dinner on the 23rd. We are usually pretty wiped out on the day of arrival. I am interested in doing a day of ZBF. visiting the cafe at Westvleteren and possibly visiting De Heeren van Liedekircke.

So, will there be a chance for us to meet? Anyone already made plans for any of the above? Should I be buying tickets to ZBF on-line now or is it safe to plan to buy at the door?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said, this is my first FT Do.

toomanybooks Apr 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander (Post 22708601)
We are arriving on the 23rd and are also staying at the Ren. We are booked out on the 30th. I'm not sure I will be able to make the dinner on the 23rd. We are usually pretty wiped out on the day of arrival. I am interested in doing a day of ZBF. visiting the cafe at Westvleteren and possibly visiting De Heeren van Liedekircke.

So, will there be a chance for us to meet? Anyone already made plans for any of the above? Should I be buying tickets to ZBF on-line now or is it safe to plan to buy at the door?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said, this is my first FT Do.

There are no advance tickets for ZBF; it's not restricted, except I guess by fire code, but it's plenty big enough. You buy however many tokens you want for samples and get a small tasting glass at the entrance.

Our group customarily gets there at opening and grabs a table at the far back right, where we can leave our stuff all day and sit and yak. Some of the time there are several crazy Danes with us, wearing red and yellow. I think that will be Sunday this year. Cannot miss them.

I definitely recommend all three of your listed activities. Call/email and reserve at De Heeren, and don't fail to call ASAP if you have to cancel. They'll put you on a naughty list.

That said, it's possible I may have to cancel my trip at the last minute. My mother-in-law went into the hospital this weekend and the outcome is uncertain.

polkacat Apr 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 22708948)
There are no advance tickets for ZBF; it's not restricted, except I guess by fire code, but it's plenty big enough. You buy however many tokens you want for samples and get a small tasting glass at the entrance.

Our group customarily gets there at opening and grabs a table at the far back right, where we can leave our stuff all day and sit and yak. Some of the time there are several crazy Danes with us, wearing red and yellow. I think that will be Sunday this year. Cannot miss them.

I definitely recommend all three of your listed activities. Call/email and reserve at De Heeren, and don't fail to call ASAP if you have to cancel. They'll put you on a naughty list.

Also consider going to Night of the Great Thirst on April 25: http://www.geuzegenootschap.be/nacht-van-de-grote-dorst.

Toomanybooks, sorry to hear your mother-in-law is in the hospital and hope she recuperates.

KMA26 Apr 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 22709424)

Toomanybooks, sorry to hear your mother-in-law is in the hospital and hope she recuperates.

Let me echo those sentiments for a full recovery. Having spoken off-line with toomanybooks, at present we seem to be under somewhat similar circumstances. Let's all hope for the best.