FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   In memory of: dctorres, AF forum moderator (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1010987-memory-dctorres-af-forum-moderator.html)

blairvanhorn Oct 28, 2009 7:46 am

In memory of: dctorres, AF forum moderator

dctorres was a long time moderator of the AF Fréquence Plus forum. He passed away last night in Paris due to complications from the H1N1 flu virus. He is survived by his wife and three young children in Paris, his mother and brother in the States, and many friends everywhere.

dctorres was a very funny, kind and intelligent man. He liked travel, good food and wine, music, miles and upgrades. His children were savvy flyers fromt the start and were already asking why they weren't "sitting up front" when they found themselves in Y (not to worry, they were well-behaved). He was a good friend, a great father, husband, son and brother ... he also happened to be a very good moderator here at FT. He will be missed.

So, the next time you find yourself in an AF lounge or a premium AF cabin, tip your glass of champagne in memory of dctorres.

JOUY31 Oct 28, 2009 7:48 am

I was so sad to learn that Derek had passed away. I will always remember him as a good-spirited, knowledgeable and loyal friend, as well as a gracious host to our community. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

bodory Oct 28, 2009 8:18 am

Oh my god, these are really sad news.

I was a newbie lurker here when he was Moderator of the AF board but I still remember his role in the warm atmosphere of the board.

All my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Spiff Oct 28, 2009 8:23 am

RIP, dctorres. My prayers are with you and your family.

GUWonder Oct 28, 2009 8:27 am

Such awful news.

My condolences to his family whom he loved so very much.

May he RIP. My respect and admiration for his noble character will live on.

chrissxb Oct 28, 2009 8:27 am

I am so sorry to hear this, we will miss you. my sincere condolences to his family. :(

safetymom Oct 28, 2009 8:33 am

I am sorry to hear this. I will keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Richelieu Oct 28, 2009 8:44 am

Ouch! Sad news :(
Sincere condolences to his family.

l etoile Oct 28, 2009 8:58 am

I'm saddened to hear this. My condolences to his family and all who loved him.

alanw Oct 28, 2009 9:18 am

:( such sad news.

Cholula Oct 28, 2009 9:19 am

Most sorry to hear of this.

Our sincerest condolences to his family.

peteropny Oct 28, 2009 9:48 am

My condolences as well :(

BearX220 Oct 28, 2009 9:52 am

Very sad and shocking news. I enjoyed dctorres' work very much. My condolences.

obscure2k Oct 28, 2009 9:53 am

My sincere condolences. So very sad.

totti Oct 28, 2009 9:58 am

My sincere condolences.

San Gottardo Oct 28, 2009 10:15 am

Very tragic news. My thougts are with his wife and children who now must grow up without their father.

apoivre Oct 28, 2009 10:18 am

Terrible news indeed. My sincere condolences to the family

medcaregenmgr Oct 28, 2009 10:38 am

Condolences!

As with many here,

I would like to express my sincere condolences to his family! I know my words mean little at this time and moment, but rest assured, he has touched many, and many have benefitted from his words!

Falco Peregrinus Oct 28, 2009 10:44 am

I am so sad. :(

I remember Derek as one of the very first FTers whom I met "live" in Paris one Saturday afternoon with blairvanhorn.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Kiwi Flyer Oct 28, 2009 12:01 pm

My condolences to dctorres family and friends.

NickB Oct 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Very sad indeed. :(

Gajan Oct 28, 2009 12:33 pm

My condolences to the family.

ILuvParis Oct 28, 2009 12:38 pm

This is terrible news. It actually brought tears to my eyes. I feel so sorry for his family. His dad died not all that long ago. I hadn't spoken to him in a while but we chatted periodically when he was in Paris, DC, Chicago and Paris again. Derek was a big Cub fan. We spent many hours chatting and trying to figure all that out. :) I saw him on line recently and neglected to say hi. I feel so bad now. I have a good friend who had a patisserie here in Chicago and Derek would order a Bouche de Noel from him and other goodies. :(

Would it be appropriate to post in Community? I wouldn't have known about this if SanDiego1K hadn't alerted me. I'm sure others would like to know.

JOUY31 Oct 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 12725740)
Would it be appropriate to post in Community? I wouldn't have known about this if SanDiego1K hadn't alerted me. I'm sure others would like to know.

As discussed with Chris, we expect to move this thread to Community Buzz in a few hours/days once the larger AF community has been informed. You can, of course, start a thread there now and the Community Buzz mods can merge the two threads once we have moved this one.

stimpy Oct 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Gosh, terrible news. :(

Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM Oct 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Horrible news. dctorres/Derek played a key role in bringing me to FT and will be fondly remembered.

Condolences to his family and friends.

ILuvParis Oct 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31 (Post 12725821)
As discussed with Chris, we expect to move this thread to Community Buzz in a few hours/days once the larger AF community has been informed. You can, of course, start a thread there now and the Community Buzz mods can merge the two threads once we have moved this one.

No, if there is a plan, that's fine - but sooner rather than later. Folks are leaving for the Boo Do and might like to know in advance. This is a well liked fellow and I don't see why you would wait for days. Thanks.

Jenbel Oct 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Shocked and saddened to hear about this. Condolences to his family.

pmcg Oct 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Very sad indeed.

Sincerest condolences.

JOUY31 Oct 28, 2009 2:17 pm

With the OP's consent, we are going to move this thread to Community Buzz to share the sad news with the wider FlyerTalk Community. Blair started the thread here on the Air France forum because he felt Derek's "home" on FT was at AF, a feeling many of us share, and I was so moved and heartened to find, in his closing recommendation, an echo of Derek's warm humor and love for life.

ElmhurstNick Oct 28, 2009 2:25 pm

Very sad news - my condolences to his family.

MileageAddict Oct 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Sorry to hear this terrible news. :(

Gargoyle Oct 28, 2009 3:24 pm

So sad. Please let his family know how many friends he has around the world.

ranskis Oct 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Condoleances. Always sad to hear the disparition of someone who shares the same appetite for life. My next glass of AF Champagne is for him! My thoughts with his close family.

lalala Oct 28, 2009 3:42 pm

So so sad, my condolences to his family.

janehoya Oct 28, 2009 4:09 pm

This is terrible news indeed. My heartfelt condolences to his family, especially his wife.

BiziBB Oct 28, 2009 4:19 pm

My sincere condolences to the family and the many friends of dctorres.

szg Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm

My sincere condolences.

gdeluca Oct 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Sad indeed and prayers to his family.

mjm Oct 28, 2009 6:35 pm

I wish peace on his family in this terrible hour and I hope his memory lives eternal in those he touched here and outside FT.