Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any grace period to cancel Citicard after fee due?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)

Question says it all - never saw the renewal, which was billed within the last month. Any luck in canceling at this point and getting fee back (within 1month).
Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
Question says it all - never saw the renewal, which was billed within the last month. Any luck in canceling at this point and getting fee back (within 1month).
American express pro-rates the fees if you cancel the card. Esp the charge cards. May be you can try with Citi.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Flyertalk's "Search this Forum" function is good at locating this type of information. Looking for the terms "Citi" and "cancel" I found this discussion from November 2006...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ht=citi+cancel

Last edited by mia; Mar 5, 2007 at 8:27 am
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by budugu
American express pro-rates the fees if you cancel the card. Esp the charge cards. May be you can try with Citi.
I once had to cancel the AA MC years ago and Citi prorated the fee.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: American, United
I believe that Citibank's policy is that if you cancel within 30 days of receiving the bill with the fee, they waive the fee. Call them and ask. Calling them will probably cause them to waive the fee and give you miles -- who knows.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:00 pm

I agree with srallen, if you are within 30 days, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting the charge reversed and closing the card, and they will probably offer to waive the fee or give you miles to keep the card.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Thanks to everyone for the very useful info - especially the last few on the 30 day period.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:29 am

Actually, I think it's 45 days. I tried to switch to the no-annual PP elite card, but they said there was a problem because it was opened over 45 days ago.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by forecheck
I agree with srallen, if you are within 30 days, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting the charge reversed and closing the card, and they will probably offer to waive the fee or give you miles to keep the card.
I don't think that they will waive the fee unless you've been spending lots of $$$ on the card, but do expect them to offer you miles.
Old May 14, 2007, 11:33 pm

If the annual fee has been charged and you call to cancel, how long does it take for Citi to refund/credit the fee?
Old May 15, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jbtniros
I don't think that they will waive the fee unless you've been spending lots of $$$ on the card, but do expect them to offer you miles.
It depends on the card and usage. During the 1 year renewal process, I had my fee waived for a PP Business card and received some Thankyou Points, but only used it to receive my initial 15,000 bonus Thank You Points when I applied.
Old May 15, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
If the annual fee has been charged and you call to cancel, how long does it take for Citi to refund/credit the fee?
Typically within 48 hours if processed correctly. You will be able to see it reflected on your online account summary.
Old May 19, 2007, 12:35 pm

Before the payment is due.

Old May 23, 2007, 10:23 pm

Is Citi( & others) required to issue a prorated refund at any time?

Originally Posted by mia
Flyertalk's "Search this Forum" function is good at locating this type of information. Looking for the terms "Citi" and "cancel" I found this discussion from November 2006...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ht=citi+cancel
Actually , This thread deals more with how to millk retention bonues than answer the question.

I have an overated, overhyped poor customer service CITI product that shall remain nameless

It's four hunderd a year!

With the card it said that annual fee is non refundable!

I thought federal law required PRORATED refunds of unearned fees.

Or is it just classy outfits like Amex.

BTW, I'd never seek to cancel and Amex account for fear that they would actually processmy request.

Customer service between Citi and Amex is NIGHT AND DAY.

Is Citi required to provide a prorated refund?
Old May 24, 2007, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by writetorich
With the card it said that annual fee is non refundable!

I thought federal law required PRORATED refunds of unearned fees.

Or is it just classy outfits like Amex.

BTW, I'd never seek to cancel and Amex account for fear that they would actually processmy request.

Customer service between Citi and Amex is NIGHT AND DAY.

Is Citi required to provide a prorated refund?
Citi prorated my annual fee the 2 times I asked. I don't know why you're having this problem. I was not churning, if that matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.