Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by zack14
Sounds to me like citi is going to axe the 4th night free benefit.
The card will be completely worthless at that point, but maybe that's their goal.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joe1690
Please note that this would not be my ideal card but what I think Citibank is leaning towards based on the survey questions I saw posted online.
I don't know about Citi surveys specifically, but in general banks send out a lot of surveys about various credit cards but rarely do they implement all or even most of what's mentioned in surveys.

Do you have some reason to suspect that it's different this time?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:31 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
It would be a shame for the Fourth Night Free to be eliminated, but it is clearly an unsustainable benefit.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Okay...a roundup could work if there were some basic restrictions in place. Or maybe some Amex ED/EDP-like multiplier to encourage frequent use.

uscjeff,
I simply read maybe a year ago in the now-defunct CreditCardForum that the 1.5 cpp feature was more popular than Chase had expected (and, by implication, costing them more cash than they expected). I don't now how to find that user now, but nothing has happened since then, so there's nothing necessarily authoritative about that source. If you have a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited as well as a CSR/CSP/AF Ink...well, it couldn't hurt to transfer the URs to the premium card now...there was a customer survey about possibly nerfing CF/CFU values on CSR.

I don't think they'd eliminate 4th night free entirely, but they could cap the frequency of its use...or the dollar value per use...or the dollar value per year. They'd have a number of tools.

AA as a transfer partner could breathe a lot of life back into the card...but Citi and AA seem to be drifting apart.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
AA as a transfer partner could breathe a lot of life back into the card...but Citi and AA seem to be drifting apart.
Seems like all of their partners are drifting away from them.

Hilton, gone. AT&T... the better of their two cards are gone. AA... Now has Barclay's and no Admiral's Club access on Prestige, plus no 1.66cpp redemptions.

Citi is most likely saying something along the lines of: "What?! You mean we can't get 50% discount compared to the cost of the previous deal?! Well we're not playing nice anymore."
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
AT&T... the better of their two cards are gone..
Depends how you count. There were once more than just those two AT&T cards. I still have a third one (AT&T Universal), and I'm not sure if there weren't even more.

And that means "gone" also can mean multiple things. Is AT&T Access More gone for those people who had it (and didn't cancel), or is it only "gone' in terms of no more applications or conversions to it?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Seems like all of their partners are drifting away from them.

Hilton, gone. AT&T... the better of their two cards are gone. AA... Now has Barclay's and no Admiral's Club access on Prestige, plus no 1.66cpp redemptions.

Citi is most likely saying something along the lines of: "What?! You mean we can't get 50% discount compared to the cost of the previous deal?! Well we're not playing nice anymore."
It was 1.6, not 1.66.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:38 am

For the way we travel, I would find a 3rd night free more useful, even if capped a few times a year. I have only used the 4th night free twice so far. I keep holding onto this card to see if they make changes, I guess I will hold it a little longer.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
... Is AT&T Access More gone for those people who had it (and didn't cancel), or is it only "gone' in terms of no more applications or conversions to it?
You can still convert to it (AFAIK) but there are no more applications. Those who don't frequent credit card boards or FlyerTalk, wouldn't know the card even exists.

Last edited by mia; Aug 6, 2018 at 6:46 am Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:50 am

Data point:

My friend went to a local Citi branch over the weekend, and asked about sign-up bonus on the Prestige. She was told by the banker that Citi will stop taking applications for the Prestige in mid-August. This appeared to corroborate with the original post in this thread.
dw, mia, krazykanuck and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by nesnith
Data point:

My friend went to a local Citi branch over the weekend, and asked about sign-up bonus on the Prestige. She was told by the banker that Citi will stop taking applications for the Prestige in mid-August. This appeared to corroborate with the original post in this thread.
So with this de facto confirmation in mind, what's the best way to proceed? I'd hate to see the 4NF benefit (or the card in general) be gone and kick myself for not applying and getting grandfathered...

Or will it just be a refresh?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Even if the 4NF was grandfathered in, it would only be for a period of time. I'd expect them to eventually 'realign' the benefits on the legacy cards with whatever the new offering was, especially if that's the reason for the whole reboot to begin with. It might take them a while, as people's renewals come up. Perhaps with Dodd-Frank & CPFB they are less able to make radical changes to the Terms & Conditions for existing holders.

I would observe for all the comparisons to Amex Plat, that the Citi flight $250 credit is super easy to use and way more flexible. No messing around with gift cards, picking an airline, etc.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can still convert to it (AFAIK) but there are no more applications. Those who don't frequent credit card boards or FlyerTalk, wouldn't know the card even exists.
Actually the last few reports in this thread:

Citi AT&T Access More card (Discontinued) (staring at post 1684)

are all from people who have no luck converting to it. The applications died long ago, but the conversions seem to have died recently.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
So they plan on having no competitor to the CSR or Amex Plat?
It is pretty much clear that AMEX survives the competition, though not without impacts.

FWIW - for Chase, CSR has been successful to get its name on the map. Yet, CSR has created a financial burden, which bite back Chase. Citi is never in this market. In fact, Citi Chairman's Card, the predecessor of Citi Prestige, is a relatively low profile card, despite being by invitation only card.

Originally Posted by mia
-OR- they are refreshing the product.
As suggested by mikesyr18, Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select Card is an example telling us why the product refreshing is unlikely.

Originally Posted by zack14
Sounds to me like citi is going to axe the 4th night free benefit.
It is only a matter of when Citi will axe the Prestige. By then the 4NF benefit will be moot.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....AAdvantage Platinum was recently refreshed and Citi didn't pull the application.

There's simply no need to stop applications just for a refresh
Originally Posted by garykung
....As suggested by mikesyr18, Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select Card is an example telling us why the product refreshing is unlikely......
Evidence that it isn't necessary to withdraw a card before refreshing, is not the same as evidence that Citi will not do it.

Even banks that are not players in the rewards card business now have a ~$400 card with a travel credit (e.g. HSBC, US Bank). Citi needs to have a product in this category for the same reason they do, to prevent JPM Chase from poaching their large depositors.

Citi designed Chairman and Prestige to compete with American Express Platinum, but now they see that Sapphire Reserve represents more of a danger to their core banking business. They need to refresh (or replace) Prestige with a product aimed at Chase rather than at American Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.