FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: All (Platinum, Gold, Executive; Business) 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1892264-citi-aa-cards-all-platinum-gold-executive-business-2018-a.html)

sdsearch Jan 9, 2018 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bakoboy (Post 29270817)
I'm confused.

I have a Citi AA branded Platinum Select card that I've had for about 4 or 5 years. When the annual fee hits I call and have been credited back the fee as a statement credit. Three years ago I got another Citi AA Platinum Select card, met the spend and got the bonus. I closed this card in December 2015.

I want to get another Citi AA card to get the miles bonus. I have not opened a Citi card in more than 2 years and I closed the account over two years ago. Am I eligible to get a new card and get the bonus after I meet the spend requirement, or am I ineligible because I currently have an open Citi AA Platinum Card?

Thanks for any advice.

You are theoretically eligible (if Citi counts to 24 correctly :eek:). If you want to be extra safe, wait till February. (Citi is notorious for sloppy counting of time sometimes.)

As to your existing Platinum Select card, ether close it soon after you're approved for the new card (and then have verified the bonus either from the welcome letter or online), or else plan to keep it another two years even if you no longer get the AF credited (sometimes Citi stops offering you that after a certain number of years).

in other words, the best time to close any AA card is right after you get approved for a new one (and confirm the bonus), because only then is your close date for the older card almost the same as the open date for the newest card. (Any other time to close is worse, because you lose more time from a 24-month clock raset at any other time.)

cplush Jan 9, 2018 1:16 pm

for those that got the executive card, did you get a ship notification when they fedex'd the box with the card?

rover4618 Jan 9, 2018 11:24 pm

I just got denied using a 9 digit mailer 12/15/ expiration from a family member .

Last application 65 days ago.

tanobacha Jan 9, 2018 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 29273087)
I just got denied using a 9 digit mailer 12/15/ expiration from a family member .

What reason did Citi give for denial?

rover4618 Jan 9, 2018 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by tanobacha (Post 29273116)
What reason did Citi give for denial?

message of denial said I would get letter

teddy25 Jan 10, 2018 8:52 am

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 29273087)

no issue here as of last Friday with a 12/15 mailer

citi is bad at counting.

rover4618 Jan 10, 2018 9:16 am

Is it advisable to call in at this point or let it play itself out ?

StartinSanDiego Jan 10, 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 29274659)

Did you get an application ID number? I'd call in. You've got nothing to lose. It may be that they require further information on your income. That happened to us and it worked out just fine.

teddy25 Jan 10, 2018 9:56 am

if it is an auto reject with no app id, there no reason to call.

callmedtop Jan 10, 2018 9:57 am

I applied for me and my SO two days ago using a mailer, with no issues. Was approved after the usual 2-minute call.

rover4618 Jan 10, 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 29274853)
if it is an auto reject with no app id, there no reason to call.

That is what it was and I just checked Transunion and Equifax seems to be no issue there.

teddy25 Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 29274922)
That is what it was and I just checked Transunion and Equifax seems to be no issue there.

which credit agency do they usually pull from in your area? If there is no pull, it might be a timing issue.

gnomey Jan 10, 2018 10:42 am

i also got an instant denial recently, with no email follow-up or application ID showing up. just a msg saying denial letter will arrive. i applied on a weekend for the first time - usually i do it on weekday working hours.

besides other possible reasons, i thought it was bc my EX was frozen (i unfreeze a few min before applying, but thought perhaps this update wasnt instant bc i was doing it on weekend, which kinda make no sense)
in any case, after a few days, i decided to call them up. no questions were asked of me, in fact, the agent couldnt have been nicer. application approved.

so perhaps it is a case of system glitch. application going down some black hole. but the strange thing is after all this, i still dont see a HP. (not complaining). not sure what's happening.

rover4618 Jan 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey (Post 29275088)
i also got an instant denial recently, with no email follow-up or application ID showing up. just a msg saying denial letter will arrive. i applied on a weekend for the first time - usually i do it on weekday working hours.

besides other possible reasons, i thought it was bc my EX was frozen (i unfreeze a few min before applying, but thought perhaps this update wasnt instant bc i was doing it on weekend, which kinda make no sense)
in any case, after a few days, i decided to call them up. no questions were asked of me, in fact, the agent couldnt have been nicer. application approved.

so perhaps it is a case of system glitch. application going down some black hole. but the strange thing is after all this, i still dont see a HP. (not complaining). not sure what's happening.

I just called and they said too many recent applications so I can only guess it is one of their famous miscounting errors I hear so much about.

Question is how long should I now wait until I apply again ?

SeeBuyFly Jan 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by weifans (Post 29238665)
...I guess my real question is, should I apply for a new card while having two cards locked? I don't want the "fraud alert" to mess up the new applications. Any data points appreciated. Thanks!

I too would like to know. I came back from a 3-week trip to find 2 letters in the mail about fraud alerts (yeah right). The letters were about cards which had been paid off and the bonus received; I just canceled them today by SM without any objections being raised. However, I still get a warning, when logging into my account, that account functionality will be restricted. If it is restricted only for the now-closed accounts, who cares. But will there be any issue when applying for another card?