Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
What counted as online purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Amazon purchase or re-load
  • Carters.com (Merchandise-CHILDRENS / INFANTS WEAR STORE)
  • Costco.com
  • Ebay seller fees (direct entry) (MCC: N/A)
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Gift Card Mall
  • Homedepot.com (Merchandise-HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES)
  • Iherb.com (Merchandise-MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE)
  • Kygunco.com (Merchandise-DURABLE GOODS, NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Lockedloaded.com (Merchandise-SPORTING GOODS STORES)
  • MileagePlusX (MCC varies)
  • Pirateship.com (Services-COURIER SERVICE, FREIGHT FORWARDERS)
  • Plastiq (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
  • Scholastic.com (Organizations-MISC SCHOOLS / EDUCATIONAL SERVICES)
  • Usmint.gov (Services-MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES)
  • united.com (Air Travel-UNITED AIRLINES)
What didn't count as online purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Geico.com (Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING)
  • Paypal (MCC varies)
What counted as utilities purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Cable, Satellite, TV (Restaurants-CABLE,SATELLITE,PAY TV/RADIO SERVICES)
  • Telecom (Restaurants-TELEPHONE SERVICE)
  • Telecom (Services-TELEPHONE SERVICE/EQUIPMENT)
  • Utilities (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
What didn't count as Travel purchase (alphabetical order):
  • VRBO

Credit Line Increases
This is very odd, but according to the Chatbot on the website:
Q. When requesting a credit limit increase, is the credit inquiry a hard or soft credit inquiry?
A. Unfortunately, until we process the request, there isn't a way for us to know if a credit line increase request will be a soft or hard hit on your credit report. For this reason, we have to receive your permission to pull a copy of your credit report before we process the increase request. If you process the request online, you will see a message stating "By submitting this form, you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report."

To request an increase online:
In order to request an increase, you will need to go to your “Credit Home” page, and find “Available Credit” at the top of the page. Then, click on the link that says “Request Increase” to begin the process.

Print Wikipost

Citi Sears Cards (2014 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:05 pm

There was a offer for 15% statement credit (up to $60) for online purchases in the summer. Anybody still waiting on their last credit?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
I just got another offer 5x TYP on online spend during Nov, Dec, Jan, for spending above $400 per month, with a max of $1200 spend per mo to earn bonus.

Also have a generic spend offer, and the gas/grocery/restaurants one now too.

Crazy.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Singapore Airlines Kris Gold
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I just got another offer 5x TYP on online spend during Nov, Dec, Jan, for spending above $400 per month, with a max of $1200 spend per mo to earn bonus.

Crazy.
Yes, same here. Although I don't plan on hitting the gas/grocery/restaurants promo this round. The kick-in "point" of 1500 is bit steep. Generic (2k for 12500pts) and this online one can be useful, property tax should cover..
Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott

Crazy.
Got the same, but with $1500 limit, (up to 7500 points per month).
Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by mistermalibu
Yes, same here. Although I don't plan on hitting the gas/grocery/restaurants promo this round. The kick-in "point" of 1500 is bit steep. Generic (2k for 12500pts) and this online one can be useful, property tax should cover..
Be careful, it seems they changed the fine print for the "Online" offer since the last one I got a couple months ago. They're excluding a lot of common bills now.

Eligible online purchases are those made via a computer network but not all online transactions will be considered an eligible online purchase. Eligible online purchases do not include the following types of purchases in the following categories: subscription, membership or recurring purchases; utilities, cable/satellite and telephone; insurance; medical and healthcare providers; government services, taxes and tolls; education, including schools or other teaching institutions; contractor, professional, financial, legal, personal and business services; repair services, direct marketing; purchases that are manually keyed by a merchant; or online purchases made through mobile/wireless technology depending on how the technology is set up to process the purchase. Merchants must submit charges under the appropriate merchant code or industry code to be an eligible online purchase. We do not determine whether merchants appropriately identify all transactions made on a credit card, however we reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer.
hurnik likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by yepperoni
Be careful, it seems they changed the fine print for the "Online" offer since the last one I got a couple months ago. They're excluding a lot of common bills now.
Oh Shxt.....you are absolutely right! Geez Cit~
Old Nov 4, 2020, 1:01 pm

Wow that's a big change for Citi. If it Sears 'online' now works like ATTA or ATTAM that's a lot more limited.

I wonder if that's just something they have written...without updating their back end systems.

It seems kind of hard to believe that Sears would invest a lot in tech to monitor this.

They don't even show the customer how bonus earnings are determined! And it comes so slowly that its hard to course correct if things don't work the way one hopes.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 1:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... If it Sears 'online' now works like ATTA or ATTAM ....
It seems kind of hard to believe that Sears would invest a lot in tech to monitor this.
Why would Sears be involved? Why wouldn't Citi use the same implementation of "online" as they use for other cards?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
Why would Sears be involved? Why wouldn't Citi use the same implementation of "online" as they use for other cards?
Back when ATTA and ATTAM were in their heyday, and lots of things would code up for online, I think it was bleeding a hole for Citi.

So they seem to have made unique adjustments for that card, so that stuff that codes up as 'online' for other MasterCards, even Citi issuance, doesn't work that way for ATT. For example Plastique to pay a mortgage is 'online' for Sears, not for ATT

I've stopped putting many vendors on my ATT over that.

But if the language is new , and copying ATT's sort of , they do (somewhere) have the code to change the Sears rewards crediting. And it would take months for users to find out, and be hard to truly reconcile, since rewards earning is murkier there. One doesn't know what time frame a reward was awarded for, nor how to tie it back to spending. I suppose one could make a big excel and unleash solver on it....but even then still lots of guessing.

I'm not pushing my Sears nor ATT hard at all. They are easy enough to use for daily life, and more generous than anything else I know (short of SUBs)
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:25 am

Back when ATTA and ATTAM were in their heyday, and lots of things would code up for online, I think it was bleeding a hole for Citi.

So they seem to have made unique adjustments for that card, so that stuff that codes up as 'online' for other MasterCards, even Citi issuance, doesn't work that way for ATT. For example Plastique to pay a mortgage is 'online' for Sears, not for ATT

I've stopped putting many vendors on my ATT over that.

But if the language is new , and copying ATT's sort of , they do (somewhere) have the code to change the Sears rewards crediting. And it would take months for users to find out, and be hard to truly reconcile, since rewards earning is murkier there. One doesn't know what time frame a reward was awarded for, nor how to tie it back to spending. I suppose one could make a big excel and unleash solver on it....but even then still lots of guessing.

I'm not pushing my Sears nor ATT hard at all. They are easy enough to use for daily life, and more generous than anything else I know (short of SUBs)

I'm also not interested in pushing my luck as I am staying abroad now and would incur 3% foreign transaction fee as it is. The offers have been extremely lucrative even with that 3% ding but it BUUUUUUUURRRRNNNNNSSS when there is code issues....

Anyone ever tried to cash out the rewards for "mortgage" *wink wink* which is worth 1 cent per piece? Would love to know if it works! Only Sears not Premier nor Prestige~
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:53 am

my understanding is that the mortgage cash out option is that the check is made out to the servicer/bank you specify, but mailed to you. they probably have some guard rails to stop people from getting it mailed to them directly. maybe an edge case someone could get it made out to a business name they control and redeem that way. but if one really wants to cash out TYP, its generally going to be 'profitable' in year 1 to just get a prestige, get the SUB, double up the travel / other credits etc. and its the season (late in year) to do all that.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:34 am
ra7

I'm also not interested in pushing my luck as I am staying abroad now and would incur 3% foreign transaction fee as it is. The offers have been extremely lucrative even with that 3% ding but it BUUUUUUUURRRRNNNNNSSS when there is code issues....

Anyone ever tried to cash out the rewards for "mortgage" *wink wink* which is worth 1 cent per piece? Would love to know if it works! Only Sears not Premier nor Prestige~
It still works. I did few times this year.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ra7
It still works. I did few times this year.
What kind of information do I need to provide?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:29 am

Looks like the Sears card now has Gift Card redemptions "live" via Raise.com now. It used to be a temporary offering months ago. But it shows up now in my account (tried last month and it had a message that the temporary offering had ended and would be "live" again). Not sure how they determine the points, but I have like $237 in points (237,000) and they expire on 3/31/2021. But when I go into my account it shows $237 in SYP but $137 in "gift card" points. But the GC points redemption seems to be $0.01/point. So $25 Home Depot GC is 25,000 points. Not too bad. Debating about saving my points and getting a new lawnmower, but then again could just redeem for Home Depot/Lowes GC. Except I have the "full" amount in SYP points vs. $137 in GC.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:43 am
ra7

What kind of information do I need to provide?
When you call them they will ask your mortgage provider bank name and your address. Just provide the information and the check will come and it will be made out to the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.