Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
<SNIP>

I think I just blew a hole in the 18-month rule. Here is my application history for AA cards:

<SNIP>
Not yet you haven't. Citi has changed several things over the last few months, one of which is that they now issue cards even if you are not entitled to the bonus. If you read up a few posts, my wife and I just applied for the 25K Gold MC last week and were both approved. I closed my Gold MC a year ago but she left hers open. Her new card and separate approval letter both mention the 25K bonus miles for $750 spend while mine do not. Chances are good that you will get a letter and card that do not mention a bonus and you just set your 18-month clock back 6 more months.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Not yet you haven't. Citi has changed several things over the last few months, one of which is that they now issue cards even if you are not entitled to the bonus. If you read up a few posts, my wife and I just applied for the 25K Gold MC last week and were both approved. I closed my Gold MC a year ago but she left hers open. Her new card and separate approval letter both mention the 25K bonus miles for $750 spend while mine do not. Chances are good that you will get a letter and card that do not mention a bonus and you just set your 18-month clock back 6 more months.
I think chances are good I'll get the bonus. If I don't, it won't bother me much -- I'm way, way plus on all matters AA and Citi. Your situation mostly suggests that you shouldn't close the card.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I think chances are good I'll get the bonus. If I don't, it won't bother me much -- I'm way, way plus on all matters AA and Citi. Your situation mostly suggests that you shouldn't close the card.
We'll see in a week or so but there have been a series of changes across AA cards and HHonors cards since December and the reports suggest a significant shift in Citi's procedures. These include specific, documented timeframes for opening new cards, the addition of restrictions based on when cards are closed, and the approval of applications for which people don't get the bonus. This started with HHonors and Executive cards and then moved to AA Personal cards. Business cards may be next.

I suspect it is far more likely that your case fits easily within the new framework and that you will not get the bonus than that you are an outlier. As with you, I am way ahead with Citi and AA, so I am more that happy to run experiments and figure out exactly what the new rules are, hence applying for the 25K MC and later this week the Business card.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:53 pm

I updated the Wiki, rather significantly, with my understanding of the new Citi rules and cleaned up the now-defunct 12-26 month language (for the most part). Thoughts and corrections welcomed.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:55 pm

I updated the Wiki, rather significantly, with my understanding of the new Citi rules and cleaned up the now-defunct 12-26 month language (for the most part). Thoughts and corrections welcomed.
Thank you. In general, it looks good. I wonder if FAQ #3 ("Do I need to close existing cards before applying?") needs to be revised to say that it depends on the specific terms of the new application. For example, offer #6--one of the older links--expressly excludes existing cardholders.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We'll see in a week or so but there have been a series of changes across AA cards and HHonors cards since December and the reports suggest a significant shift in Citi's procedures. These include specific, documented timeframes for opening new cards, the addition of restrictions based on when cards are closed, and the approval of applications for which people don't get the bonus. This started with HHonors and Executive cards and then moved to AA Personal cards. Business cards may be next.

I suspect it is far more likely that your case fits easily within the new framework and that you will not get the bonus than that you are an outlier. As with you, I am way ahead with Citi and AA, so I am more that happy to run experiments and figure out exactly what the new rules are, hence applying for the 25K MC and later this week the Business card.
I received my 9th HH Visa on the 24th of February and just received my bonus points yesterday, so I certainly have no anecdotal indications of a major change since December. I think you might be jumping the gun a bit on insufficient data. I guess I'll give you a new data point one way or the other in a week or so.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Mar 10, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:54 am

Any information on whether Citi approves Gold cards for those already holding Platinum?
Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest
Any information on whether Citi approves Gold cards for those already holding Platinum?
Thanks!
Yes, they are now considered different products and should not affect each other.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Thank you. In general, it looks good. I wonder if FAQ #3 ("Do I need to close existing cards before applying?") needs to be revised to say that it depends on the specific terms of the new application. For example, offer #6--one of the older links--expressly excludes existing cardholders.
I updated to add 18-month language but has anyone been denied for being and 'existing cardmember' for #6? I thought that was the old generic language that meant you could not get the bonus on an existing card, only on a new card.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustWest
Thanks!
Read the terms of the application that you are looking. If the terms for the Gold say that you can't have held a Gold AA card in the past 18 months then you are good. If the terms say that you can't have held ANY AA card recently then it's not going to work.

Honestly, I think that most of the "YMMV" talk comes from people not reading what they are applying for, and assuming that all applications are the same. They aren't.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
had held same card within the last 18 months. it is apparently applicable to business cards now too
Which link did you use? Different business card links have different language about application restrictions. And rules that apply to one link may not apply to another link!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which link did you use? Different business card links have different language about application restrictions. And rules that apply to one link may not apply to another link!
Additionally, this offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account.

was the only language I see that might have impacted the application. From link 5. If there is a way around this I would love to find it
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1M Miles
Surprise Admiral's Club Passes

I have an AA Visa that I've had for 20 years, (Visa Signature) that is nothing special, $50 a year, with a pretty substantial spend ($30-40K a year). Last year I got a World Elite MC and got the 50K mile bonus and two admirals club passes.

A few months ago I got a mail that said they were upgrading my Visa to Gold, which gave some additional bennys (that frankly seemed to overlap with those of the MC) but I would keep the same card until they reissue it in a few years. Whatever.

This week two additional admirals club passes showed up in the mail, and the letter with them referenced the Gold Visa card account.

Any idea why I got those? I didn't expect them, though I will use them (I hope). Must have been due to the upgrade to Gold, although I couldn't find anything in the Wiki about it. I wonder if I can get 50k miles, too!

Last edited by LifetimeGold; Mar 12, 2015 at 10:09 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LifetimeGold
I have an AA Visa that I've had for 20 years, (Visa Signature) that is nothing special, $50 a year, with a pretty substantial spend ($30-40K a year). Last year I got a World Elite MC and got the 50K mile bonus and two admirals club passes.

A few months ago I got a mail that said they were upgrading my Visa to Gold, which gave some additional bennys (that frankly seemed to overlap with those the the MC) but I would keep the same card until they reissue it in a few years. Whatever.

This week two additional admirals club passes showed up in the mail, and the letter with them referenced the Gold Visa card account.

Any idea why I got those? I didn't expect them, though I will use them (I hope). Must have been due to the upgrade to Gold, although I couldn't find anything in the Wiki about it. I wonder if I can get 50k miles, too!
I also received 2 AC passes this week. Have the Plat Visa. Not sure why. The letter was vague
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone
I also received 2 AC passes this week. Have the Plat Visa. Not sure why. The letter was vague
Huh, hope they weren't in one of those "Important Account Information" light-blue envelopes, 'cause I threw a couple of those out this week without bothering to look at them. Usually they contain lousy balance transfer offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.