Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever downgraded your AA card to other citi no fee card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP

I am considering downgrade my AA American Express card to citi forward card. is that possible?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:17 am

Call and ask. I went AA to AA bronze a decade ago (my oldest line). Then last year I was tired of the useless bronze and they product changed it to Forward no problem (no bonus either, which was $100 at the time).
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:17 am

I never knew you could convert an AA card to the Forward card. That sounds very interesting, I may do the same.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:42 pm

It took 45 days to process the product change due to the Card Act. Something to consider if your annual fee is up.

I'd like to product my AA Visa to their Dividend card to get the 5% rotating categories (since I already have Forward), but I haven't called yet to see if its possible, and I might just prefer a retention offer instead. I plan to give it a shot in the spring.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I did this about six months ago. It is becoming quite difficult to do it as most Citi reps don't know about it. My mom had to make several calls to finally get it.

The good things are that since there is no fee you can keep the card and improve the average age of your credit cards which improves your credit score. Secondly since AA miles expire without activity in 18 months this is an easy and sure way of refreshing you miles. I don't trust the eshopping sites as most if the time I don't get my miles.

Last edited by UA Fan; Jun 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, I will do that and ley you know the result.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've kept my bronze card for years. Busy churning everyone else. I like it because I don't have to worry about my AA miles (have a couple of low monthly charges on it). We no longer live in an AA city so I really don't care, just want to maintain what miles I have. Half miles, no fee, I don't even know it's there.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I did this about six months ago. It is becoming quite difficult to do it as most Citi reps don't know about it. My mom had to make several calls to finally get it.

The good things are that since there is no fee you can keep the card and improve the average age of your credit cards which improves your credit score. Secondly since AA miles expire without activity in 18 months this is an easy and sure way of refreshing you miles. I don't trust the eshopping sites as most of the time I don't get my miles.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

just made a call. The agent said it is not available at this time. It seems that she do not know much of it.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:59 am

When the annual fee for my Citi TY Points Premiere card was due, I was offered the chance to have my annual fee waived if I spent $4,500 on the card within so many months (forget the exact number). I downgraded to the Citi Forward card instead. The CSR was happy to review my options and do this.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:27 pm

I downgraded my Citi AA Amex card in July. I asked for the Forward but they weren't able to convert to the Forward. They system wouldn't allow them. I converted to the regular Citi Thank You. I believe I was told that I can convert the Thank You to the Forward. I haven't done this yet but I am planning to in the future.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Corridor!
I downgraded my Citi AA Amex card in July. I asked for the Forward but they weren't able to convert to the Forward. They system wouldn't allow them. I converted to the regular Citi Thank You. I believe I was told that I can convert the Thank You to the Forward. I haven't done this yet but I am planning to in the future.

please update when you done. regular citi thank you have nothing to keep.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:57 pm
In memoriam

IMHO, downgrading is a mistake.

Cancel old card, wait a bit, get new card with big sign-up bonus. Go on trip in F.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
IMHO, downgrading is a mistake.

Cancel old card, wait a bit, get new card with big sign-up bonus. Go on trip in F.
Downgrading does not prevent you from getting a new card. Plus it keeps your credit line with Citi so if you have problems getting another card then if you call reconsideration you can offer to use the credit line from the downgraded card.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:47 pm
In memoriam

My experience has been that keeping old accounts open does, often, keep you from getting new cards (and new bonuses).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.