Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I would rely on the published terms rather than verbal representations by entry level customer service agents or crowd sourced information on an Internet site:

https://www.thankyou.com/cms/thankyo...tc&src=TYUSENG

sdsearch, mster and levilevi like this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 11, 2021 at 10:59 am
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:48 pm

Datapoint: I called in to downgrade my Prestige to a no annual fee card and preserve my stash of TYP. I asked the rep whether the Thank You Preferred or Rewards+ were available for downgrade and she confirmed both were. However, she pre-checked the conversion for each and my account number would change whether I chose one or the other. I went with the Preferred and the new card (along with new number) already showed up on account when I logged in a few hours later.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ramentab
Datapoint: I called in to downgrade my Prestige to a no annual fee card and preserve my stash of TYP. I asked the rep whether the Thank You Preferred or Rewards+ were available for downgrade and she confirmed both were. However, she pre-checked the conversion for each and my account number would change whether I chose one or the other. I went with the Preferred and the new card (along with new number) already showed up on account when I logged in a few hours later.
Why bother with TY Preferred? Does it allow access to transfer partners? Wouldn't custom cash make the most sense as a downgrade option?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:03 am

Does Citi still offer prorated annual fee refunds when downgrading Citi Prestige / Premier cards?

Considering downgrading my Premier early next year after maxing the 2022 travel credit.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:33 pm

Possible to downgrade Citi TY cards to new Custom Cash?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by mster
Possible to downgrade Citi TY cards to new Custom Cash?
Yes, after you've had the card for >1 year.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Yes, after you've had the card for >1 year.
​​​​​​Will Prestige / Premier downgrade to Double Cash / Custom Cash be eligible for prorated af refund since it's not a straight TY card to TY card downgrade?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mster
​​​​​​Will Prestige / Premier downgrade to Double Cash / Custom Cash be eligible for prorated af refund since it's not a straight TY card to TY card downgrade?
Custom Cash, despite the name, is a straight TYP card. It earns TY points directly.

So downgrading from Prestige / Premier to Custom Cash is totally different than downgrading from t Prestige / Premier to Double Cash.

If you downgrade to Custom Cash, you keep your TY points, you just may lose most of the ability to transfer points to partners until you get another Premier card.

But if you downgrade to Double Cash, your TYP points will expire after 60 days. (Double Cash earns cash back that you convert to TY points, but it doesn't earn TY points directly, and thus is not considered a straight TYP card.)
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:44 pm

Looking for suggestions on below scenario.

ATT Access More AF got posted . would like to convert/product change to a No AF Thank you card or close it after redeeming the TYPoints.
If I apply for the Citi Thank You Premier card during the same week , will above result in a SUB denial?

Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tialfred
Looking for suggestions on below scenario.

ATT Access More AF got posted . would like to convert/product change to a No AF Thank you card or close it after redeeming the TYPoints.
If I apply for the Citi Thank You Premier card during the same week , will above result in a SUB denial?

Thanks.
It depends. If you convert/product change to a No AF true Thank You card (DoubleCash doesn't count), then you haven't cancelled your TY account and your points don't expire. If you close it or convert/product change to a non-TYP card including DoubleCash, it's all different.

And the "same week" may not be the issue, it may be what you do before you're approved for the new Premier card. The "same week" but a few days earlier or a few days later may make a big difference (especially if you don't keep the current TYP account open by converting/product changing to true Thank You card.

To clarify: By "true" ThankYou card, I mean a card that earns ThankYou points directly (no matter what the advertising says). For example, Citi Custom Cash earns TYP points directly (even though the advertising is in cashback terms), but Citi DoubleCash does not ( you have to convert from cashback to TYP points with that card).
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:21 pm

Just a quick update, I did get the Platinum card with the Resy offer .. already have over 300k points, score!

Still have to decide what to do with my existing Citi prestige card. If I recall I can either cancel (and lose the ~300k Thank You points I have) or downgrade to a cheaper card to keep them and still be able to transfer or downgrade to a free card, keep the points but lose the transfer options .. does that sound about right?

Any suggestions of which airline or program to transfer all of the points to now if I want to just outright cancel the card? Any reason not to simply transfer them all to say Jet Blue which we've been flying recently? I have a bunch of Amex points to transfer to any other program if I ever needed to.... or any other ideas?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 5, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
If Citi closes your Citi Thank You Preferred card due to lack of use (happened to my relative), does it re-set the 24 month clock?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by noahsi
Just a quick update, I did get the Platinum card with the Resy offer .. already have over 300k points, score!

Still have to decide what to do with my existing Citi prestige card. If I recall I can either cancel (and lose the ~300k Thank You points I have) or downgrade to a cheaper card to keep them and still be able to transfer or downgrade to a free card, keep the points but lose the transfer options .. does that sound about right?

Any suggestions of which airline or program to transfer all of the points to now if I want to just outright cancel the card? Any reason not to simply transfer them all to say Jet Blue which we've been flying recently? I have a bunch of Amex points to transfer to any other program if I ever needed to.... or any other ideas?

Thanks again!
Yes. You can convert the Prestige to say Rewards+ and keep the points. If you get another Prestige or Premier in the future, you can transfer them to travel partners again.

I found BR miles to be very valuable during the pandemic and routinely get > $0.05/point for the past year and half. But might not be useful if you are not doing transPac flights, and they do expire in 3 years.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
So, first let me say that I have read the Wiki, but I guess I'm looking for some first hand confirmation/experience to make me feel better before "pushing the button."

One of our goals in the coming year is to simplify, so we are trying to reduce/close little used accounts, etc. I have some Citi TY points spaced banked on a Rewards+ card. My wife has a current Prestige card with a balance of TY points as well (much greater balance than mine).

Planning to transfer TY points to a partner airline for an award redemption. However, this would not deplete our entire, combined balance of TY points, there will still be quite a few left on wife's Prestige.

So, thinking is that I'd transfer all my TY points to her account (I understand that starts the 90 day clock), then we'll transfer some of the total, combined balance to airline partner for award redemption (not speculative).

My assumption, from reading the wiki, is that the system will be "smart" enough to use the expiring points from my transfer first and then the remaining balance from her TY points.

Can anyone verify recent experience with that? Desire is for me to be able to close my Rewards+ after zero'ing out the TY points (yes, I'm aware there is no annual fee, etc, but we just aren't really Citi fans and looking to wind that relationship down over time).

Any data points/first hand experience is appreciated.

Regards
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
So, first let me say that I have read the Wiki, but I guess I'm looking for some first hand confirmation/experience to make me feel better before "pushing the button."

One of our goals in the coming year is to simplify, so we are trying to reduce/close little used accounts, etc. I have some Citi TY points spaced banked on a Rewards+ card. My wife has a current Prestige card with a balance of TY points as well (much greater balance than mine).

Planning to transfer TY points to a partner airline for an award redemption. However, this would not deplete our entire, combined balance of TY points, there will still be quite a few left on wife's Prestige.

So, thinking is that I'd transfer all my TY points to her account (I understand that starts the 90 day clock), then we'll transfer some of the total, combined balance to airline partner for award redemption (not speculative).

My assumption, from reading the wiki, is that the system will be "smart" enough to use the expiring points from my transfer first and then the remaining balance from her TY points.

Can anyone verify recent experience with that? Desire is for me to be able to close my Rewards+ after zero'ing out the TY points (yes, I'm aware there is no annual fee, etc, but we just aren't really Citi fans and looking to wind that relationship down over time).

Any data points/first hand experience is appreciated.

Regards
Earlier (> 90 days) this year, SO's account has 75K points, and I transferred 40K points to her account. She transferred 100K points to a partner airline (to take advantage of Rewards+ 10%). Her account as of now has a bit over 25K points.

I rounded off the points amount for simplicity. But I would assume this means either TYP is smart enough to use expiring points first or TYP is dumb enough to not actually expiring transferred points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.