FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Choice | Choice Privileges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges-640/)
-   -   Platinum benifits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges/1789241-platinum-benifits.html)

jim5518 Sep 6, 2016 11:03 am

Platinum benifits

Just got status matched to Choice and was wondering if there are any benefits to be Plat. Thanks

lougord99 Sep 6, 2016 5:11 pm

You get close to 2 months longer window to book a points stay. You get a few extra points every stay which is dwarfed by the bonus points that are almost always available. Other than that - very little.

toomanybooks Sep 7, 2016 10:38 am

On my most recent checkin the guy specifically noted my Plat status (from Daily Getaways purchase I think) and upgraded me to a suite. They were pretty empty, though.

HomerJ Sep 7, 2016 10:55 am

In about 20 stays/yr.

I've gotten one upgrade, and bottles of water twice.
It's a truly pathetic status other than the extended booking window.
That being said in many of the smaller towns I work/travel to Choice or Hampton Inns are usually at the top of the pyramid so you live with it.

miadukes Sep 7, 2016 1:33 pm

I once got a 4pm checkout of course it was the one time i didnt need it!

other than that, not much, oh at the hotel we stayed at this past weekend, nothing but the last time i think they gave us water bottles.

jim5518 Sep 7, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks everyone at least I know what to expect.:D

Brighton Line Sep 8, 2016 6:36 am

The only time I've been recongnized is when using a reward night when they have to log into the computer to process the check-in.
I've even got "Oh the computer says to thank you for staying with us as a ..."

FreeHotBreakfast Sep 8, 2016 9:11 pm

I have gotten everything from being thanked profusely for my loyalty to goodie bags, suite upgrades without even asking, super late checkouts and discounts to the onsite restaurant (Clarion).

On the other end, I've been stared at like an alien from outer space when I asked about a room upgrade or an extra hour for checkout, and I've been told my status is actually a burden on the hotel because of the extra cost they have to pay out for points, particularly during the 8,000-point promotions (I knew they paid toward the normal stays, but not the promotions).

I've had desk clerks/managers tell me they sign up everyone who checks in whether they ask for it or not, some who have contests among clerks for CP sign-ups, and I've had some who actively discourage it and refuse to prominently display the advertising materials in the lobby because of the aforementioned point cost, as well as their being reimbursed by Choice for reward nights based on "average daily rate".

Ultimately, I find the more favorably reviewed they are the more likely they'll "roll out the red carpet" for elites, which is almost always at Comfort Suites.

GUWonder Sep 9, 2016 5:50 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 27178210)
On my most recent checkin the guy specifically noted my Plat status (from Daily Getaways purchase I think) and upgraded me to a suite. They were pretty empty, though.

The point purchases don't count toward elite status, but the award night stays using points -- purchased or otherwise earned -- do count toward elite status in the same way as regular paid stays using just cash/bank card for payment.

iahphx Sep 25, 2016 6:53 pm

While on-site perks are scarce for Platinums at Choice (I once got free parking at a beachfront hotel), the good thing about Choice is that you often (but not always) are able to get an upgraded room when booking with your points. Since almost all my stays are from my Daily Getaways purchases, and the majority of those are booked into upgraded rooms (like suites), I rarely have to beg the Front Desk clerk for an upgrade (as I usually do at other chains).