Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
True. I suppose the same would apply to someone with a confirmed ticket if the flight cancelled or something. I might consider doing this, but for some reason I'm a bit iffy about it. I'm just one of those people that worry about everything haha.
I'm with you on this. The transit without visa (china-embassy.ord) states the TWOV is available to people with booked seats (my bolding).

A non-rev ticket is kind of stand-by right? Does it qualify as a 'booked' (which implies confirmed) seat?

If you were holding confirmed seats and you became ill, or your flight was cancelled/delayed I think that is a different matter to being potentially stuck in China for x number of additional days because you are on standby.

This may be a problem when you come to leave China. If you are two days late and the reason you give is not a flight cancellation/illness they might then look at your ticket and see non-rev and then the trouble starts.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:51 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm with you on this. The transit without visa (china-embassy.ord) states the TWOV is available to people with booked seats (my bolding).

A non-rev ticket is kind of stand-by right? Does it qualify as a 'booked' (which implies confirmed) seat?

If you were holding confirmed seats and you became ill, or your flight was cancelled/delayed I think that is a different matter to being potentially stuck in China for x number of additional days because you are on standby.

This may be a problem when you come to leave China. If you are two days late and the reason you give is not a flight cancellation/illness they might then look at your ticket and see non-rev and then the trouble starts.
If the ticket is NRSA would China deny entry as its not a confirmed ticket?
Would the US - China airline deny. boarding?

If the ticket is free what can you lose?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu

you could lose a good holiday!

I guess you might be right with the airline denying boarding from the USA. They would know the rules. I think the spirit of the visa is for those pax with onward confirmed flights to a third country. Start to introduce complexity such as a non-rev and it becomes doubtful.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:28 am

One day in China isn't much of a holiday.
Might as well wait and see if PEK goes 72 hours and choose a time when loads are low.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:33 am

You need a confirmed ticket. Being able to standby on a flight from China onwards will result you in either being denied boarding at your starting destination (to fly to China) or, even worse, having you sent back to your starting point once you've arrived in China. DO NOT TRY THIS, even if it might work for some people who lucked out.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: various
To ChiefNWA:

This is a very very good point. This is not a confirmed ticket for a flight out within 24 hours (or 48, 72, or any given time frame limit that happens to be in effect at the time he goes). I think there is a reasonable chance that China would deny entry or boarding would be denied in the USA. Get a visa if you want to use NRSA to fly to China. Too much doubt to go visa-less.

If China denies entry, it's Delta that will get the fine levied against it, and have to take you back on next flight out (which in June means likely doing an involuntary bump of someone else, which will cost the airline more money and bad will). This won't reflect well on your parents with their employer, since they provided you with the means to go to China.

Last edited by jiejie; Dec 7, 2012 at 6:24 am
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Since 1949, last time I checked..

The fact that the PRC does not have direct control over the island does not mean it's not (officially) part of the PRC. Taiwan even does "send" some people to the national congress (in whatever sense you want to see it), don't forget that There is a reason it says "HK, Macao, Taiwan AND International Departures/Arrivals at PRC airports

Whatever the status of Taiwan/ROC, and regardless of whom you ask (Chinese, Taiwanese, US, etc), for visa purposes quite clearly China recognizes it as an "international" destination outside its jurisdiction for purposes of visas and travel.

I asked about Hong Kong (really just for stronger confirmation) because there is really no dispute that it is part of China, but China has designated it as a special administrative region, and arguably traveling there is not going to another country, even though it has its own visa/immigration standards. As confirmed, it, too, is a different country for TWOV purposes.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:13 am

Could book a refundable PVG-NRTconfirmed ticket as a backup and not use
It if you get on an earlier standby non-rev.

What would China immigration do when they see a ticket like below.
Risky!

http://nndustriemedia.blogspot.com/2...esign.html?m=1
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:22 pm

Could book a refundable PVG-NRTconfirmed ticket as a backup and not use
It if you get on an earlier standby non-rev.

What would China immigration do when they see a ticket like below.
Risky!

http://nndustriemedia.blogspot.com/2...esign.html?m=1
Not risky IF your backup ticket keeps you inside the 48 hours - just show them your backup ticket, NOT your Stand-By ticket, when asking for the Transit Visa. They don't record on which flight you're going to go, so you're free to try the Stand-By, and if it doesn't work, to take the backup flight. It's actually quite a good idea for those travelling on Stand-By Tickets ^
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Not risky IF your backup ticket keeps you inside the 48 hours - just show them your backup ticket, NOT your Stand-By ticket, when asking for the Transit Visa. They don't record on which flight you're going to go, so you're free to try the Stand-By, and if it doesn't work, to take the backup flight. It's actually quite a good idea for those travelling on Stand-By Tickets ^
If the entire purpose of this exercise is for somebody to fly to China for little or no cost and back, within a fairly tightly prescribed time frame, then a confirmed (refundable) ticket is hardly going to suit the overall mission, even though it might work for purposes of dealing with boarding and Chinese Immigration. At best, the flyer has a chunk of funds tied up in an expensive ticket for a period of time. At worst, the flyer has to use the ticket and the freebie round-trip goes out the window. In high seasons, it's a pretty good bet that no empty space will open up and that purchased ticket will have to be used.

Of course, some would point out that it would be possible to make that refundable confirmed ticket to another regional Asian destination at much lower cost than a TPAC. True. However, if one has to use it, it just shifts to a different location, the problem of getting back. And during heavy travel periods, it's difficult to travel NRSA from ANY Asian origin TPAC, not just China. A one-way back from anywhere, Asia to anywhere, USA isn't cheap even in a lower fare bucket (not likely on short notice). The only people this strategy might make sense for are those with wide open time schedules, who could deploy the ticket to another Asian location that doesn't require an advance visa, and afford time and cost to hang out or travel around for awhile until an eastbound TPAC seat opens up from said other Asian location.

Last edited by jiejie; Dec 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Posts discussing political issues and not specifically related to the topic - PRC Visa-Free Transit have been deleted as dilatory to the topic.

Thank you for keeping the thread on topic; it makes it easier for the excellent Ambassador crew and knowledgeable members to provide guidance and information to members.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
The only people this strategy might make sense for are those with wide open time schedules, who could deploy the ticket to another Asian location that doesn't require an advance visa, and afford time and cost to hang out or travel around for awhile until an eastbound TPAC seat opens up from said other Asian location.
Or those that just don't want to pay for the overpriced visa.
Was at LA China consulate today. Figured about 2 minutes per person
for pick up. Not including those picking up a batch of processed passports.
A constant stream picking up all day long.

open 9AM to 2 PM thats equates to >21,000USD plus the batch processors
for a .05USD sticker. That's some windfall profit.

Plus the standard time for a visa is 4 days and the visa validity is the day you apply, so
you get ripped out of 4 days.

Seems trivial until you realize how much all those days add up to.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Dec 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:46 am

ChiefNWA: moondog gave you the best advice upthread--just get a visa and get your @ss covered for any eventuality. Since you're in Tampa, you'll probably need to send your stuff to an agent. I'd use somebody in DC or Houston. Total cost by the time you pay for official visa, agent fees, Express Mail or FedEx (trackable) will be upwards of $200. You should be able to get a 12 month multiple-entry no sweat on your own.

If this cost is not worth it to you, then reconsider China as your destination and take my original advice to use your time more wisely for a trip in this hemisphere.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
ChiefNWA: moondog gave you the best advice upthread--just get a visa and get your @ss covered for any eventuality. Since you're in Tampa, you'll probably need to send your stuff to an agent. I'd use somebody in DC or Houston. Total cost by the time you pay for official visa, agent fees, Express Mail or FedEx (trackable) will be upwards of $200. You should be able to get a 12 month multiple-entry no sweat on your own.

If this cost is not worth it to you, then reconsider China as your destination and take my original advice to use your time more wisely for a trip in this hemisphere.
Oh, but China is just sublimely awesome. I'm actually sad that I need to leave next week because I love all of the good things, and have learned to accept the bad things. After living the high life in SIN, HKG, KUL, and MFM, I was simply thrilled to return to Chinese soil during both of the past Fridays/Saturdays.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:25 am

If PEK goes 72 hours on the twov.
That triples the time in Beijing for those
that don't want to surrender their Chinese
passport to get a visa on their us passport.

More time to get things done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.