FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Need cash - Urgent (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1986176-need-cash-urgent.html)

ft1984 Sep 6, 2019 9:16 am

Need cash - Urgent

Literally the title says it all here. I found myself landing at PEK with 4 credit cards and no debit card coupled with $7 USD. I begged a fellow US traveler for $100USD which I immediately vemo'd him. I cannot do cash advances from my US credit cards as I never set up a pin

I'm in Beijing and I see that there is a JP Morgan Chase Bank here. Does anyone know if they are open on Saturday and is it a full service branch? If it is I can walk in with my Chase credit cards and id to do a cash advance without a pin.

My last resort will be to send myself a MoneyGram via credit card and pick it up at the Bank of China.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

This was such a rookie move for me to not double check that I had everything that I need.

moondog Sep 6, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by skyccord (Post 31497273)
Literally the title says it all here. I found myself landing at PEK with 4 credit cards and no debit card coupled with $7 USD. I begged a fellow US traveler for $100USD which I immediately vemo'd him. I cannot do cash advances from my US credit cards as I never set up a pin

I'm in Beijing and I see that there is a JP Morgan Chase Bank here. Does anyone know if they are open on Saturday and is it a full service branch? If it is I can walk in with my Chase credit cards and id to do a cash advance without a pin.

My last resort will be to send myself a MoneyGram via credit card and pick it up at the Bank of China.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

This was such a rookie move for me to not double check that I had everything that I need.

I use MoneyGram sometimes when I want to send people USD quickly, and it works quite well with reasonable fees.

I give the JP Morgan approach low enough odds that I wouldn't bother.

889 Sep 6, 2019 11:55 am

Four cards and not one lets you set up a PIN online?

LondonElite Sep 6, 2019 12:06 pm

Not sure what hotel you are staying in, but some of the better ones will let you have a cash advance which is then charged to your credit card. I’ve done this several times, especially in Asia.

LondonElite Sep 6, 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 31497930)

China and internet...hmmm.

889 Sep 6, 2019 12:19 pm

If he has his own device and the bank's website is properly secured, safety should be within normal parameters. I think most Westerners in China from time to time do online banking, both with Chinese and foreign banks. Don't recall hearing of any problems particular to China. And Chinese massively use the internet for payments.

LondonElite Sep 6, 2019 12:30 pm

Many companies restrict their employees travelling to China from using their regular devices and/or logging in to company resources because of the massive state intrusion of anything web. I wouldn’t be doing anything on my US bank account while in China, regardless of VPN.

MSPeconomist Sep 6, 2019 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31498071)
Many companies restrict their employees travelling to China from using their regular devices and/or logging in to company resources because of the massive state intrusion of anything web. I wouldn’t be doing anything on my US bank account while in China, regardless of VPN.

I try hard to avoid taking my electronics to China or Russia and I certainly don't log into any sensitive/valuable accounts while there.

ft1984 Sep 6, 2019 4:06 pm

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 31497930)

no and I am beyond pissed about it.

Chase Sapphire Reserve
Capital One Spark Business Card (Had cash advance set to 0)
Chase United Club Card
Chase Business Ink Cash Card.

ft1984 Sep 6, 2019 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 31498028)
If he has his own device and the bank's website is properly secured, safety should be within normal parameters. I think most Westerners in China from time to time do online banking, both with Chinese and foreign banks. Don't recall hearing of any problems particular to China. And Chinese massively use the internet for payments.

I am VPN'd back to my office there's no issue here. Technology is actually my field of expertise. Thanks for the concern.

ft1984 Sep 6, 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31497970)
Not sure what hotel you are staying in, but some of the better ones will let you have a cash advance which is then charged to your credit card. I’ve done this several times, especially in Asia.

JW Marriott. I'm going to talk to them in the morning. They weren't getting it when I got in and was mentally spent.

altabello Sep 6, 2019 4:22 pm

ran into this problem in AMS last year, was only there for ~8 hours and didn't bring Euros. Thought that restaurants & cafes would take CC, but they all pointed to ATM machines that required a pin. Finally got lucky at the Centraal train station, where they gave me cash advance on my Visa with my passport as ID. Huge fee. Set up pins first thing when I got home.

Voldoo Sep 6, 2019 9:23 pm

I will be in Beijing until Sunday night.....I’m happy to withdraw some RMB for you if you’re able to Venmo. Feel free to PM me

ft1984 Sep 6, 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Voldoo (Post 31499476)
I will be in Beijing until Sunday night.....I’m happy to withdraw some RMB for you if you’re able to Venmo. Feel free to PM me

Just pmd you.

I have literally been to 5 Banks. The one who had the form. Postal Bank says I need to have their card to be able to pick the money up. HUH?!?!?!?! Good thing I'm waiting to see who can receive it before I send it out.

moondog Sep 6, 2019 10:02 pm

I could get by pretty well in Beijing on credit cards alone these days if I altered my food/drink habits a bit. Now that the lower end places have been pushed out of SLT, most of the remaining establishments accept foreign plastic, and of you can link foreign cards to Didi.