Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Are fewer westerners traveling in China now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are fewer westerners traveling in China now?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:19 pm

Ticket Machines
There are now ticket machines at Shenzhen Station which claim to accept passports: you swipe the bottom edge of your passport through a reader slot and voilá your ticket will appear. You can use it to both buy tickets and pick-up tickets bought on-line.

That's the idea, at least. My ticket didn't appear despite many tries at many different machines. When I finally picked up my ticket the old-fashioned way at the counter, I asked the clerk whether the machines in fact now accept passports. She said they do, but some passports can't be read because the page is too reflective. Anyway, this is what she said.

Perhaps a sharp photocopy on ordinary paper might work instead. Worth a try to finally be able to use those machines.

Note that only some machines have the reader slots for passports, some machines with reader slots only accept HRPs, and all instructions are in Chinese.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Just a question based upon my last 2 weeks of travel to big cities in the west and south of China. In many of these big cities like Chongqing and Changsha I didn't see another western face the entire time I was there, including the hotel, train stations and airport. This struck me as different from before. It is definitely becoming harder for foreigners to travel around China with the train station/ticketing policy being discriminatory to foreigners and the rise of mobile payments for everything which foreigners who don't live here have no way of using. It's also just more of a hassle to visit China with 15 minute check in times at hotels and endless security inspections everywhere from train stations to airports to even subways which is ridiculous. Has the bloom gone off the rose for travelers? I still see plenty of westerners in the 4 tier one cities but elsewhere I seem to remember more than now.
I have noticed this too, and among my friends/co workers in States/AU/NZ less desire to travel the Mainland and more so recently. And yes it is more of a hassle to travel into and around China as well do business as non Chinese.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Taipei
I have noticed this too, and among my friends/co workers in States/AU/NZ less desire to travel the Mainland and more so recently. And yes it is more of a hassle to travel into and around China as well do business as non Chinese.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/22/a...hnk/index.html is now on the minds of my friends.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by :D!
Yep. Even though I have nothing to do with the protests, I'm actually scared of crossing the HK-Shenzhen border. The authorities are probably checking phones and other devices more frequently over there. Even though I have no protest related stuff on my phone, I still don't want to increase the chance that they'll seize my phone and download the data or install malware. To be clear, I recognize that this may be a risk at any entry point into China. It's just that it seems like the HK-Shenzhen border is on heighten alert.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Thai, Hyatt
Originally Posted by lsquare
To be clear, I recognize that this may be a risk at any entry point into China. It's just that it seems like the HK-Shenzhen border is on heighten alert.
Same with me. I sometimes need to do visa runs and HK is the obvious choice but I won't go there until things settle down. I've heard of people (foreigners) being questioned about why they were in HK.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had a soft debate on this topic last night.

Following are my thoughts:

1. The teacher route to a real job no longer exists

2. She told me that young American guys were not good for China

3. I explained to her the those young American dudes like girls, and we can't stop this
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Jeff Kerr
Same with me. I sometimes need to do visa runs and HK is the obvious choice but I won't go there until things settle down. I've heard of people (foreigners) being questioned about why they were in HK.
The only way I'll go to Shenzhen is if I fly in from another country or from a Mainland Chinese airport. There's no way I'm going to Shenzhen from Hong Kong (land, air, or sea).
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:59 am

A ton of foreigners cross there every day and I haven't heard of any issue yet. Also, never heard of them checking phones of foreigners. Thinks of the massive amount of people crossing, they sure won't start checking all the phones. Seriously, the odds are probably the same as being hit by lightning or winning the lottery.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
I had a soft debate on this topic last night.

Following are my thoughts:

1. The teacher route to a real job no longer exists

2. She told me that young American guys were not good for China

3. I explained to her the those young American dudes like girls, and we can't stop this
Yellow Fever epidemic still around?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
She agreed with me in the end. Basically, those young American guys are a net positive, in spite of their bad habits,
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff Kerr
Have done a few HK to China and vv trips during the 2nd half of 2019. No one has said anything. US citizen.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:22 pm

but how do you get around not having a Chinese credit/debit card ?

if there was a way to get a Debit card that you could refill that would help,
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
but how do you get around not having a Chinese credit/debit card ?

if there was a way to get a Debit card that you could refill that would help,
Cash.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Speaking of yellow fever, I sort of caught a different sort in HK. It's not the fever you're referencing, but there's a notion of friendship that in my experience is unique to HK. There isn't a western world for it, but the word is "yee hay." Not sure if it's from too many movies or life imitating art, but there is, or used to be, amongst a segment of local HKers where this elevated notion of friendship surpassed anything I've ever seen anywhere in the world.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:30 am

"If there was a way to get a Debit card that you could refill that would help."

See the discussion on the China board about the Alipay Tourpass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.