Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Should Westerners avoid trouble when in China

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Advisory does not mean imminent danger, but it would be foolish to equate an advisory about a government taking concerted actions against individuals with advisories on, say, terrorism or petty theft. I have three trips to China planned by May, and I am not canceling. Things are definitely escalating, however, and in reality, China has always/never stopped detaining Westerners for any number of reasons. English "teachers" are often scrutinized for subversive activities. A young Canadian lady was detained last month and later released. Those of us who are who are willing to listen heard the message loud and clear, because the websites you visit or the things you say to strangers could ostensibly also flag you at the immigration counter. Be cautious and recognize that China exercises its authority differently than what we're accustomed to in the West, that's all.
I would like to broaden this warning to include WeChat. Many people wrongly assume that their WeChat messages/activities are private; of course Tencent doesn't scrutinize every account, but they do have triggers set up for a large number of words and image subjects....and, it's not especially difficult to connect you to your WeChat persona. As the current administrator of the FT people on WeChat group, I am particularly sensitive whenever the conservation drifts into political topics because I can be held personally accountable.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would also be wise to avoid violating minor ordinances: don't litter, don't jaywalk, etc., and don't call attention to yourself as an American even if you obviously look like a foreigner. You might want to consider registering your travel with the USA consulate even if you usually don't bother.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would also be wise to avoid violating minor ordinances: don't litter, don't jaywalk, etc., and don't call attention to yourself as an American even if you obviously look like a foreigner. You might want to consider registering your travel with the USA consulate even if you usually don't bother.
I can't imagine registering at a consulate on account of this recent minor scare. If you end up becoming the focal point of an international incident, they will help you, regardless of registration status.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
I can't imagine registering at a consulate on account of this recent minor scare. If you end up becoming the focal point of an international incident, they will help you, regardless of registration status.
Of course, but registration is free and doesn't take long--you just need to find the right website and have basic information in front of you when you do it.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course, but registration is free and doesn't take long--you just need to find the right website and have basic information in front of you when you do it.
Ah, I wasn't aware it was possible to register online. I suppose I could Google, but do you happen to know what tangible benefits registration provides?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:45 pm

Maybe not as important as for other countries but it allows the embassy to know that you are there and how to reach you in case of emergency such as a big natural disaster for example.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:01 pm

Basically it updates your contact information so they can get in touch with your loved ones, if any, should anything unfortunate happen to you.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Maybe not as important as for other countries but it allows the embassy to know that you are there and how to reach you in case of emergency such as a big natural disaster for example.
The natural disaster case makes perfect sense, but I can pretty much guarantee that if any of us winds up in a Chinese jail, our consulates won't be the first to break the news.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Refrain from getting into altercations with Russians, migrant workers, and 东北人.
Most 东北人 are really nice, and if you don't piss them off they treat you like their brother. I will consider this as a 地域黑, or in English, regional discrimination.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Just behave in all other country. Shanghai is just like NYC or Paris or Tokyo. Packed with foreigns, so don't worry. In Beijing you will be fine since it is the first city opened to foreigns from 1949, where RPC started.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
I would like to broaden this warning to include WeChat. Many people wrongly assume that their WeChat messages/activities are private; of course Tencent doesn't scrutinize every account, but they do have triggers set up for a large number of words and image subjects....and, it's not especially difficult to connect you to your WeChat persona. As the current administrator of the FT people on WeChat group, I am particularly sensitive whenever the conservation drifts into political topics because I can be held personally accountable.
I work with a team here in the USA and in China and we all use WeChat as our means of group communication which I think is a big mistake. I've been trying to get the whole team to switch off WeChat to Slack or some other alternative for 2 years now. But since the main business sponsors are only using WeChat, I can't get any momentum to get the group to change. Even before this dust-up over the travel advisory, we've all known that our messages on WeChat are not group private and we are conducting international business with it. I'm hoping this advisory provides enough incentive to change.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by synthkeys
I work with a team here in the USA and in China and we all use WeChat as our means of group communication which I think is a big mistake. I've been trying to get the whole team to switch off WeChat to Slack or some other alternative for 2 years now. But since the main business sponsors are only using WeChat, I can't get any momentum to get the group to change. Even before this dust-up over the travel advisory, we've all known that our messages on WeChat are not group private and we are conducting international business with it. I'm hoping this advisory provides enough incentive to change.
Your messages are not really private no matter what app you use in any case.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by synthkeys
I work with a team here in the USA and in China and we all use WeChat as our means of group communication which I think is a big mistake.
I actually prefer WeChat groups to email for most work stuff (people tend to be much faster to reply to WeChat messages, and I like naming groups for each project; very easy to search). It's not like we're discussing anything super secret or politically sensitive.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I actually prefer WeChat groups to email for most work stuff (people tend to be much faster to reply to WeChat messages, and I like naming groups for each project; very easy to search). It's not like we're discussing anything super secret or politically sensitive.
I worked for a German company while I was in China and it amazed me that the company, who restricted access to a lot of information, allowed my colleagues to communicate the volume and type of information that they did in WeChat. Especially considering that the company continually had IP problems in China.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

Did you notice that the metro line that goes to Pudong has one of those nasty Singapore-esque spurs? (meaning you may have to transfer right before hitting Pudong).
There are now through-trains to Pudong Airport so you don't always have to change trains on Line 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.