Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24hr TWOV still available for flights stopping in Changsha then CAN Ghanguzou

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

24hr TWOV still available for flights stopping in Changsha then CAN Ghanguzou

What are the current regulations for the 24hr TWOV for flights stopping in Changsha then (CAN) Guangzho whilst in transit, we arrive in CSX CHANGSHA at 7am and then depart GUANGZHO (CAN) at 11 pm that same night.
Very confused as to what the latest regulations are?? am traveling with teenagers and wanting to avoid any dramas, happy not to leave the airport.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I am not sure I understand the question. You are arriving at CSX, and departing from CAN?
You do realize that there is some 650 km between the 2? How do you intend to make the transfer?
Changsha will allow TWOV, but you must remain in the area - that will not permit a trip to CAN.
You will need a visa to transfer from one to the other.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:58 pm

I think it's reasonable to assume he has flights stopping in both Changsha and Guangzhou, and that he's unsure because for a time at least 24-hour TWOV was not allowed at Guangzhou if you had other China stops on your itinerary (unless at Beijing). I'll let someone else bravely confirm this is no longer the case.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:12 pm

Deleted, post in wrong thread.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
I think it's reasonable to assume he has flights stopping in both Changsha and Guangzhou, and that he's unsure because for a time at least 24-hour TWOV was not allowed at Guangzhou if you had other China stops on your itinerary (unless at Beijing). I'll let someone else bravely confirm this is no longer the case.
Hi yes this is correct my flights stops in Changsha for an hour before flying into Guangzhou where we gave a 11 hour stop over before flying home to Cairns. I am seeking clarification as to whetber i am eligible for tbe 24 hr TWOV. I have read conflicting information as to whether this is allowed for CAN airport.( Guangzhou).
thanks
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:03 am

What is your origin? What airline are you flying?
I believe that China is similar to USA or Australia in that you must clear immigration at port of landing,
which means the Changsha - Guangzhou flight is purely domestic, and you will therefore need a visa.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: various
This thread belongs in the TWOV thread. But I'll answer here: Poster above @IluvSQ is wrong that a visa is always required. China has the provision for travelers stopping in more than one airport, to Transit Without Visa as long as scheduled arrival at the first airport to scheduled departure at the last airport is not over 24 hours. An "entry permit" (stamp in the passport) is received at Entry Immigration at the initial arrival airport and cancelled when going through Exit Immigration at the final departure airport.

There used to be language for part of 2017 and early 2018 in TIMATIC that severely restricted multiple stop transits if Guangzhou CAN was one of the stops. That language disappeared months ago, and with no recent anecdotes from anybody having problems with this at CAN, I would postulate that the CSX + CAN sequence is not going to be a problem as long as it's all done within 24 hours. Our wikipost stiill has the warning about this though, not sure why it doesn't merit an update.

However OP, nobody can guarantee you anything when you travel with no visa. Perhaps one of our Chinese-speaking forum members going through CAN (with visa) could pop into Immigration office there and make a direct query as to what the current scoop is on the multiple-stop situation.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:23 am

Based on the information from the OP, I am guessing that he will be on CZ332 from FRA, which stops in CSX on the way to CAN.
Please see the CZ website warning about this flight, which itself is very unclear.
But it does state that you clear entry immigration at CZX, and exit at CAN.
Reading it, I think you will require a transit visa.

Transit Visa Requirement of Flight CZ332/331-2015-China Southern Airlines Co. Ltd csair.com
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:43 am

Yes, but that news CZ posted is quite old. OP, have you done the obvious action of contacting CZ and asking them directly? Not that you'll be able to connect with a knowledgeable person or get the correct current answer, but worth trying. With CZ, your mission should be more focused on whether they will allow you to board the first flight and get as far as Guangzhou--even though per TIMATIC, there is no reason to prohibit it. Also, find a local Chinese speaker where you are, and call/Skype Guangzhou Airport Immigration directly with this question, using the exact flights in the sequence. The answer you get on current policy is probably as definitive as you are likely to get. Info/contact for Baiyun Airport Immigration (24 hour hotline): 86 20 3606-6950 and for Guangzhou General Immigration (24 hour hotline) 86 20 3209-0088. I have no idea whether there will be any English speakers on the other end, but I doubt it.

Then you can decide whether to proceed with getting visas, changing flight routing, or standing pat.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:18 am

I don't think OP's issue is at Guangzhou - there is no issue in doing TWOV at CAN if going on to Australia within 12 hours.
The issue is a CSX, since that is where he is arriving, then continuing on to CAN.
If he must clear immigration at CSX, then go to CAN, a visa will be needed.
If there is some method for transit passengers to stay on the plane at CSX, and continue to CAN without immigration,
then he will be fine.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I don't think OP's issue is at Guangzhou - there is no issue in doing TWOV at CAN if going on to Australia within 12 hours.
The issue is a CSX, since that is where he is arriving, then continuing on to CAN.
If there is some method for transit passengers to stay on the plane at CSX, and continue to CAN without immigration,
then he will be fine.
24 hour direct transit allows domestic flights. only a few cities are excluded and Changsha isn't on the exclusion list
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:50 am

then he will be fine.
​​​​​​
Sigh. I feel I'm talking to a brick wall. No the issue is not CSX. Clearly you are not aware of the multiple-stop Transit Without Visa option in China, with domestic flight linkage, which has been in play for a number of years now. And that passengers in this situation do not stay on the planes. And that it is possible to receive the TWOV stamp/entry permit in one city and then get stamped out of China in a different city. There are many such routings possible on Chinese airlines now: i.e., China Eastern commonly routes North American to Indian Subcontinent traffic using the combo of PVG+ KMG...perfectly acceptable to do without a visa as long as the scheduling is no more than 24 hours total inside China.

The question here is whether CAN is still on the restricted/exclusion list for 24-hour multiple stop transits, or whether that has been rescinded. TIMATIC is showing no restrictive language anymore. But a greater comfort level would be reached if Guangzhou Baiyun Airport Immigration would confirm.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yes, but that news CZ posted is quite old. OP, have you done the obvious action of contacting CZ and asking them directly? Not that you'll be able to connect with a knowledgeable person or get the correct current answer, but worth trying. With CZ, your mission should be more focused on whether they will allow you to board the first flight and get as far as Guangzhou--even though per TIMATIC, there is no reason to prohibit it. Also, find a local Chinese speaker where you are, and call/Skype Guangzhou Airport Immigration directly with this question, using the exact flights in the sequence. The answer you get on current policy is probably as definitive as you are likely to get. Info/contact for Baiyun Airport Immigration (24 hour hotline): 86 20 3606-6950 and for Guangzhou General Immigration (24 hour hotline) 86 20 3209-0088. I have no idea whether there will be any English speakers on the other end, but I doubt it.

Then you can decide whether to proceed with getting visas, changing flight routing, or standing pat.
Did anyone actually read the CZ news post? Here is the important bit:

"2. For passengers taking CZ332/331 with confirmed onward tickets to/from a third country (region), transit time should not exceed 24 hours; otherwise, China visa will be a must. Guangzhou 72 hours visa-waiver is not applicable."

So it's clear that if your whole transit is under 24 hours then everything is fine with respect to TWOV. The new post was made because people tried to do a 72-hour TWOV while entering at CSX.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:16 am

Yes, but again, that was posted in 2015 so regardless of what it said, an update is needed. As stated back then (and confirmed with real-traveler reports), it was OK to do 24 hours total for CSX+ CAN. Then in 2017-early 2018, this was rescinded so that no multiple-stop transits using CAN (except PEK + CAN combo) were permitted even within 24 hours and language to that effect was in TIMATIC. Then earlier this year, the language disappeared from TIMATIC, implying that CAN + ??? (and vice versa) combos within 24 hours are now OK again. Key word being "implied" since I haven't seen explicit language announcing the reinstatement of CAN as an unrestricted multiple-stop airport. Nor am I expecting any formal announcement.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

then he will be fine.
Why do you continue to insist that a visa is needed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.