Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Can I book two different airlines/tickets to/from China?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, Lifetime UA Silver

Looking for reassurance from the Old Hands here.

I am a US Citizen with a valid 10 year China visa.

I am looking to book:
1. EVA SFO-TPE-PVG
2. A week later, United PVG-SFO

These will be on two totally different tickets/reservations.

Will I have any issues at check-in / customs?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:54 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
No, you won't have any issues. I do recommend printing out your flight itinerary.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:42 pm

I have never been asked about my flights. I have even traveled on one way tickets.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
You asked a question which had never ever crossed my mind. No immigration anywhere in the world cares which airline you flew in on or which one you have tickets to flight out on.

Check-in: if by chance (very slight chance), anyone asks you for proof of how to depart China, all you need is a ticket showing you will leave. I personally have never been asked for this in 30 years of flying to Taiwan and China.

And when you go through China Immigrations (not Customs -- that's for your bags), almost never do they ask for proof of a ticket to leave. Again, I have never once been asked this.

The last thing they would hassle you about is flying out on a different airline than you flew in on. That's not how things work.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
On the arrival card there is a question on the back: Have you booked your return ticket?
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, Lifetime UA Silver
Originally Posted by mcjava
You asked a question which had never ever crossed my mind. No immigration anywhere in the world cares which airline you flew in on or which one you have tickets to flight out on.

Check-in: if by chance (very slight chance), anyone asks you for proof of how to depart China, all you need is a ticket showing you will leave. I personally have never been asked for this in 30 years of flying to Taiwan and China.

And when you go through China Immigrations (not Customs -- that's for your bags), almost never do they ask for proof of a ticket to leave. Again, I have never once been asked this.

The last thing they would hassle you about is flying out on a different airline than you flew in on. That's not how things work.
For a country that requires you to register with the local PSB upon arrival, I find it hard to believe that they don’t care you have a return ticket.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:57 pm

This is how I always travel to/from China and I've never had an issue and have never even been asked to show proof of a flight taking me out of the country. Still, I always have a printed itinerary just in case.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC
If you have completed the APD data for the onward flight, which Chinese airlines typically collect upfront at booking, then the immigration officer can probably already see your intent to depart the motherland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.