Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Didi payment methods

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Didi payment methods

Had a lot of problems with paying Didi with an International credit card. Wells Fargo Visa verified, but flags fraud with every transaction.
Chase won't even verify. Have a Visa and a credit balance in my WeChat, but haven't gotten Didi to use that successfully.

Notice new payment methods in the Didi app. Didi currency and Travel Cards look the most interesting.
Is there a way to get money into Didi currency?

There are three Travel Card types - Premier travel card, Express travel card and Luxe travel card for pre-paid rides. Are these physical cards you can purchase, or are they available online?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:29 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I can concur and simply now use cash. It is funny how difficult China makes it for foreigners to enjoy / embrace their advance payment system with AliPay and WeChat
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chipmaster
I can concur and simply now use cash. It is funny how difficult China makes it for foreigners to enjoy / embrace their advance payment system with AliPay and WeChat
Didi, tencent, and Alibaba are profit driven companies, and I'm guessing that they have found better ROI opportunities in other areas.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:48 pm

i been using my chase visa card with didi in the past month without any problem.
zach n likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:53 pm

Amex worked fine for me.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Amex worked fine for me.
Hmm - I'm getting a (very vague) error message when trying to add (a US) Amex as a "password-free payment method."

Have also been unable to add it to Alipay or WeChat Pay. This is very frustrating.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
AA Citi card works fine for me.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Just tried Amex again and it now works!

A Visa card that failed to work earlier also works now.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:13 am

Didi and UK credit card

I was surprised to be able to link a UK card to Didi, but I managed it and used the service a couple of times. My concern is that my bank is likely to add a charge for foreign transactions which could double the cost of the ride. After a deposit refund, I now have money in WeChat so would like to switch payment method.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why don't you get a bank account in China?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:41 am

Didi and UK credit card

I may try to get a bank account on my next visit. Strangely, I could go to WeChat via the Didi payment options and add UK cards to WeChat by that method. The cards are showing as linked in WeChat, but I still can't manage to either top up my WeChat wallet or pay Didi drivers from WeChat funds.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by David Powel
I may try to get a bank account on my next visit. Strangely, I could go to WeChat via the Didi payment options and add UK cards to WeChat by that method. The cards are showing as linked in WeChat, but I still can't manage to either top up my WeChat wallet or pay Didi drivers from WeChat funds.
i dont think you can top up wechat wallet with credit cards.

Is there anything in your wechat funds when you try to pay did driver?

If there isn't, and you only have credit card linked with wechat, i don't think it's going to work.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
If you are a fairly frequent traveler, you should get a credit card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees. I don't have any problems using the Didi app with any of my credit cards, except I think they don't take AMEX. What is a problem is linking a non-Union Pay credit card to WeChat. Also note that there are some non-Chinese banks that offer Union Pay cards, but from what I've read on this sub-forum is that not many have been too successful with these. Linking a VISA/MC credit card with WeChat will enable the wallet, but won't allow money to be transferred from the card to your wallet. For this it seems there are only 2 choices, open a Chinese bank account with debit card or give someone cash and have them transfer to your WeChat wallet.

I use the Didi app (not through WeChat) all the time and have it linked with a US bank issued VISA card.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by synthkeys
If you are a fairly frequent traveler, you should get a credit card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees. I don't have any problems using the Didi app with any of my credit cards, except I think they don't take AMEX. What is a problem is linking a non-Union Pay credit card to WeChat. Also note that there are some non-Chinese banks that offer Union Pay cards, but from what I've read on this sub-forum is that not many have been too successful with these. Linking a VISA/MC credit card with WeChat will enable the wallet, but won't allow money to be transferred from the card to your wallet. For this it seems there are only 2 choices, open a Chinese bank account with debit card or give someone cash and have them transfer to your WeChat wallet.

I use the Didi app (not through WeChat) all the time and have it linked with a US bank issued VISA card.
DiDi does take my US-issued Hilton Amex.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by Amelorn
DiDi does take my US-issued Hilton Amex.
Thanks, good to know. I'm heading back to the PRC this weekend for a month. I'll see if my business platinum works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.