Wiki Posts
Search

Xian advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Smile

Google maps issues -
Random examples: My hotel was at "X" address. Google maps, while on the correct street, showed the hotel down the block albeit still listing the same address. Restaurants/shops/etc listed on Google maps but either no longer in existence or somewhere else that I could not find. Grand mosque nowhere near where is appears on Google maps. etc... Many places were simply not where they were shown on Google maps.

Coffee shop in photo. Near the end of Zhubashi street on the right hand side. There were also a bunch of coffee shops on the road to the left of the South gate inside of the wall (looking from inside to outside of the gate - so I guess to the east). I don't know when these coffee shops opened, only saw them returning from my wall/outside the wall adventure.

I had some dessert type things - round, fried (?), rose water and walnut flavored. Unbelievable how good they were - YUMMY. Does anyone know what they're called? (see photo) Also, I had the bread pieces in soup, another wonderful dish - what is that called? (and that type of bread was great too - name?)

There is also a wall transport cart too but don't recall the cost.

West Beijing Train Station: Great info about the shuttle. I didn't know that it existed -- Thanks. Hopefully it helps the next person looking for a ride to PEK.

Coffee

Dessert

Originally Posted by fumje
Thanks for sharing....

Do you remember any particular inaccuracies you observed in the google maps?...

Do you remember a name at all for the coffee? Just curious.

Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Google maps issues -
Random examples: My hotel was at "X" address. Google maps, while on the correct street, showed the hotel down the block albeit still listing the same address. Restaurants/shops/etc listed on Google maps but either no longer in existence or somewhere else that I could not find. Grand mosque nowhere near where is appears on Google maps. etc... Many places were simply not where they were shown on Google maps.

Coffee shop in photo. Near the end of Zhubashi street on the right hand side. There were also a bunch of coffee shops on the road to the left of the South gate inside of the wall (looking from inside to outside of the gate - so I guess to the east). I don't know when these coffee shops opened, only saw them returning from my wall/outside the wall adventure.

I had some dessert type things - round, fried (?), rose water and walnut flavored. Unbelievable how good they were - YUMMY. Does anyone know what they're called? (see photo) Also, I had the bread pieces in soup, another wonderful dish - what is that called? (and that type of bread was great too - name?)

There is also a wall transport cart too but don't recall the cost.

West Beijing Train Station: Great info about the shuttle. I didn't know that it existed -- Thanks. Hopefully it helps the next person looking for a ride to PEK.

Coffee

Dessert
You found​​​​​​ the fried persimmon cakes! The soup w bread is the called 'pao mo'.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Here's a quick trip report and a recommendation for a private car and guide. I originally posted this on Tripadvisor, but thought the folks here on FT would appreciate too.

First, I would recommend Stefanie and her company to anyone -- friends, family, strangers -- who are booking a trip to Xi'an. Absolutely top notch.

We engaged the company over 4 days:
Day 1: Car transfer from airport and short local guide services for dinner
Day 2: Car only to Huanyangling, Terracotta Warriors, and Big Goose Pagoda
Day 3: Car and guide to visit some places from when I lived there 22 years ago (one of which was Stefanie's restaurant / backpacker hangout)
Day 4: On our own, no car or guide
Day 5: Car transfer to airport

Throughout the booking process she was flexible with the unique itinerary that I wanted to include and with the routing to main tourist sites. The prices we negotiated in advance were very competitive (considerably less than the main western or non-Xian based companies), but her very positive attitude came through in her emails, which is why we picked her company.

For the days we did not have a guide, especially for the main tourist sites, I wish we would have booked one. Having a guide made our time in Xi'an more 'productive' than if we had done it all on our own.

The Buick minivan provided was new, immaculate, and in perfect condition. The driver, Ma Feng, always made sure we had bottled water, was very patient with some changes, and would always be nearby waiting.

Stefanie as a guide was easygoing and knew the information that we wanted -- about the sites, the city, and the things that have changes in the 2 decades since I was there. And, just as important, knew when to hang back and let us take it all in. Although the company website says she's been guiding for 8 years, she's been working with foreign travellers for 20+ years -- she can definitely answer any question you could think of!

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserR..._Shaanxi.html#
pbartp likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Great thread. I am coming to Xi'an in a few weeks and currently have a reservation at the Westin (Plat). During my two days I'll either be working and then be out all day touring the sites. So mostly around in the evenings for dinner & walks. So I'm thinking perhaps it's better to stay in a hotel inside the wall? Grand Mercure or Sofitel (no status)... or perhaps Hilton (Diamond)? Any thoughts about that... or should I just stay put. My tour driver can pick me up at either spot - but I'd prefer to walk around once back.

Any thoughts as to best locale for me?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Do the main attractions that charge entrance fees accept CCs or ca$h only? also are major ATMs (not private atms) readily available?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by craz
Do the main attractions that charge entrance fees accept CCs or ca$h only? also are major ATMs (not private atms) readily available?
You need to pay cash for most attractions. ATMs are widely available.

@TravlinSperry: I usually find hotels on Ctrip near the drum tower. They are cheap, and the location is good.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:11 pm

Ding yi

Originally Posted by moondog
+2 on Citadines Central

@JPDM: You might want to consider replacing "@" with "at" from your driver's email address in your post above.
Do you have wechat of ding yi, email is not working????
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:35 pm
Suspended

the Citadines Central is N/A for the dates I will be there, is the Howard Johnson walkable to the Bell tower? Can anyone recommend a hotel on par with CC that is in the CC area? tia
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:52 am
Suspended

the Citadines Central is N/A for the dates I will be there, is the Howard Johnson walkable to the Bell tower? Can anyone recommend a hotel on par with CC that is in the CC area? tia
Has anyone stayed at The Ramada Xian Bell Tower they say the address is 79 North St, I assume thats up the block from the Tower. Cant tell if the HJ is even with the citys walls or just South of it. But the Ramada is 1/2 the price and I dont need a resort or huge hotel anyways for the 3 nights
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Has anyone stayed at The Ramada Xian Bell Tower they say the address is 79 North St, I assume thats up the block from the Tower. Cant tell if the HJ is even with the citys walls or just South of it. But the Ramada is 1/2 the price and I dont need a resort or huge hotel anyways for the 3 nights
Based on your posts, it sounds like you’re there for work and have limited free time.

Based on a Google Maps search (not always the most accurate for China), the Ramada appears to be at the next main intersection north of the Bell Tower. This is as good a location as you could have to explore the central part of the city by foot. It’s about a 5-7 minute walk to the Bell Tower (directly south) or a 4 minute walk to the start of the Muslim Quarter (directly west). The Drum Tower is also nearby, located between the Bell Tower and start of the Muslim Quarter. Further south (7 minute walk) of the Bell Tower is the start of the Shuyuanmen Art Market, just before the South Gate. At the South Gate itself is where you can get on to the wall and, if you like, rent a bike to get some views of the city.

If you walk down East Street (east of the Bell Tower), you can explore some of Xi’Ans traditional shopping street, with streetfront shops, mega-department stores, and malls/arcades. (Note: traditional shopping street does not equate to traditional items to purchase...)

if you want to go further afield, there’s a subway station at the Bell Tower that can take you to a number of other pints in the city, either directly or by changing lines.

I’d recommend accommodations inside the city wall. Although I’ve not been in the Ramada, it looks like a great location!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:41 am

The Citadines Central is no longer a Citadines. Not sure what the new name is.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Csillave

Do you have wechat of ding yi, email is not working????
Try finding him on Wechat with his phone number. Message me if you need it.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YEGcg

Based on your posts, it sounds like you’re there for work and have limited free time.

Based on a Google Maps search (not always the most accurate for China), the Ramada appears to be at the next main intersection north of the Bell Tower. This is as good a location as you could have to explore the central part of the city by foot. It’s about a 5-7 minute walk to the Bell Tower (directly south) or a 4 minute walk to the start of the Muslim Quarter (directly west). The Drum Tower is also nearby, located between the Bell Tower and start of the Muslim Quarter. Further south (7 minute walk) of the Bell Tower is the start of the Shuyuanmen Art Market, just before the South Gate. At the South Gate itself is where you can get on to the wall and, if you like, rent a bike to get some views of the city.

If you walk down East Street (east of the Bell Tower), you can explore some of Xi’Ans traditional shopping street, with streetfront shops, mega-department stores, and malls/arcades. (Note: traditional shopping street does not equate to traditional items to purchase...)

if you want to go further afield, there’s a subway station at the Bell Tower that can take you to a number of other pints in the city, either directly or by changing lines.

I’d recommend accommodations inside the city wall. Although I’ve not been in the Ramada, it looks like a great location!
No biz whatsoever. Pure tourist. From alot I read and heard the main Hotels where I have top status are a good few miles from the Bell Tower and with rates so low it doesnt make sens eto use any points, yet paying and having to use taxis to get around isnt what Im looking to do either.

In the end I was able to make a res at the CC but it seems the type of room you get smoking or non-smoking will be decided when you arrive. So I CXed that res and Im holding a non-smoking at The Ramada, the location you described is exactly what I was looking for THX. also JPDMs post after yours says the CC isnt a C any longer, so taht kills that.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No biz whatsoever. Pure tourist. From alot I read and heard the main Hotels where I have top status are a good few miles from the Bell Tower and with rates so low it doesnt make sens eto use any points, yet paying and having to use taxis to get around isnt what Im looking to do either.

In the end I was able to make a res at the CC but it seems the type of room you get smoking or non-smoking will be decided when you arrive. So I CXed that res and Im holding a non-smoking at The Ramada, the location you described is exactly what I was looking for THX. also JPDMs post after yours says the CC isnt a C any longer, so taht kills that.
Hi Craz. I received your PM, but I'm replying to you here instead because others might be able to benefit from the conversation. Personally, I always try to stay as close as possible to the drum tower in Chinese hotels. The area is really cool at night, and I definitely can't say the same for the Hyatt or the Westin. I'm not familiar with the Ramada.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
Hi Craz. I received your PM, but I'm replying to you here instead because others might be able to benefit from the conversation. Personally, I always try to stay as close as possible to the drum tower in Chinese hotels. The area is really cool at night, and I definitely can't say the same for the Hyatt or the Westin. I'm not familiar with the Ramada.
Thx, I think I will roll the dice on the Ramada

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.