Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by asdf098
Has anyone had experience applying for 10 year visa based on a very short planned itinerary? I have plans to go to China for a weekend this month, with a total stay of just over 24 hours. I'm hoping to get the 10 year visa since I will be doing more travel to China in the future, but the immediate itinerary I can show is just a one night hotel stay and return entry/exit flights one day apart. Would that raise any questions or give the consulate any reason to give me a visa for any shorter term than 10 years? Should I provide confirmation of future travel plans (e.g. put a r/t award booking on hold, then cancel it after the application)? This wouldn't be my first visa - I have one that expired last year. This would be a tourist (L) visa.
I don't think your short itinerary will be grounds for rejection, but you might want to book a ~7 day itinerary on aa.com just to be safe. There is no requirement to actually fly this itinerary, and aa.com is great because, unlike other channels, your ticket will show up as HK1 just for putting it on hold.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:49 pm

Has anyone had experience applying for 10 year visa based on a very short planned itinerary? I have plans to go to China for a weekend this month, with a total stay of just over 24 hours.
Originally Posted by Majuki
Yes, I had a trip for a few days and was approved for a 10-year, multiple entry visa.
My wife and I just got 10 year L visas for a visit of about 4 days. However, we are flying into Beijing and home from Shanghai. Therefore, TWOV was not an option.

Originally Posted by 889
This is a very long thread, so I'll repeat here what I've said before: get your ten-year visa NOW. Who knows what direction the trade war between the US and China will take.
We got our visas a couple months before we would have had to for this very reason. I don't really expect anything to happen with the visas based on the current trade disputes, but I didn't want to take any chances.

But now we're good until 2028 (unless something earth shattering happens).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:11 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by 889
This is a very long thread, so I'll repeat here what I've said before: get your ten-year visa NOW. Who knows what direction the trade war between the US and China will take.
I wouldn"t mind if they went back to the old single window visa office in LA ... no line..no peope there $50 for single entry only.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone had experience applying for 10 year visa based on a very short planned itinerary? I have plans to go to China for a weekend this month, with a total stay of just over 24 hours. I'm hoping to get the 10 year visa since I will be doing more travel to China in the future, but the immediate itinerary I can show is just a one night hotel stay and return entry/exit flights one day apart. Would that raise any questions or give the consulate any reason to give me a visa for any shorter term than 10 years? Should I provide confirmation of future travel plans (e.g. put a r/t award booking on hold, then cancel it after the application)? This wouldn't be my first visa - I have one that expired last year. This would be a tourist (L) visa.
FYI I was successful getting the 10 year visa. My itinerary showed only a one night stay, arriving in Shanghai and departing from Guangzhou.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Just to be clear. Your 10 year China visa is still valid. There is no need to renew a China visa with 6 years of validity remaining. To use your existing visa, just present both passports (expired passport with valid visa, and new passport) for travel.
Is there a way to ask the Department of State NOT to punch holes in the old, expired passport? Or does China understand if a hole is punched through the Visa?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by sharktums
Is there a way to ask the Department of State NOT to punch holes in the old, expired passport? Or does China understand if a hole is punched through the Visa?
They only punch holes in the cover and bio page, not the visas.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM
^Awesome, thank you!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Some help with the Visa application, please...

I'm retired and will so mark 1.15 Current occupation(s). Do I then leave 1.17 Employer/School blank? Or note it with "Retired" again?
===
For 1.22 there is a choice of Married or Single. I'm divorced. Do I check Single, or specify "divorced" for Other(Please specify)?
===
For 1.23 Major Family Members - are they asking for somebody who lives with me, will be on the same visa with me and/or will be traveling with me, or just as general information. All I have is one adult son living elsewhere and not traveling with me.
===
2.7 asks "Who will pay for your travel and expenses during your stay in China?" That would be me,

But then on 2.8 it asks "Information of inviter in China"

Nobody has invited me. I just want to go, so essentially invited myself. What is recommended to fill in here?
===
For 2.2 Intended number of entries - is this where I write in 10 Year Visa down in Other?
===
I'm in MN but see I have to go to Chicago to physically submit and retrieve (or use some agency). Can I reasonably safely count on the 3 day expedited time frame for the added fee? Or alternatively, any recommendations for an agency?
===
Do I actually have to book a plane reservation, or will an American 5-day "hold" suffice?
===
And finally, any issues if I make a hotel reservation that is cancellable?
===

Sorry this is so long, but I thought it might actually simplify things ... as opposed to posting my questions piece-meal.

I'm looking at a trip to Shanghai and then a short Royal Caribbean cruise that will stop one day on Okinawa to visit a great-nephew in our Marines. He will be there for three years, so the process may be repeated. Maybe a trip up the Yangtze. I've been to China twice before, and found it amazing. But both trips were arranged by organizations.

Thank you for any and all assistance.

Romelle
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I'm retired and will so mark 1.15 Current occupation(s). Do I then leave 1.17 Employer/School blank? Or note it with "Retired" again?
N/A in the four sections

For 1.22 there is a choice of Married or Single. I'm divorced. Do I check Single, or specify "divorced" for Other(Please specify)?
Your preference

For 1.23 Major Family Members - are they asking for somebody who lives with me, will be on the same visa with me and/or will be traveling with me, or just as general information. All I have is one adult son living elsewhere and not traveling with me.
General information, and I would just list you and your son

2.7 asks "Who will pay for your travel and expenses during your stay in China?"
Write "SELF"

But then on 2.8 it asks "Information of inviter in China"
N/A for an L visa

For 2.2 Intended number of entries - is this where I write in 10 Year Visa down in Other?
Check Other and write "MULTIPLE ENTRIES VALID FOR 10 YEARS"

I'm in MN but see I have to go to Chicago to physically submit and retrieve (or use some agency). Can I reasonably safely count on the 3 day expedited time frame for the added fee? Or alternatively, any recommendations for an agency?
I have no experience with the consulate in Chicago, so someone else would have to chime in.

Do I actually have to book a plane reservation, or will an American 5-day "hold" suffice?
I don't have experience with this, but they will review all of the documents before accepting the visa application.

No issues. Future travel plans may change.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle
I'm in MN but see I have to go to Chicago to physically submit and retrieve (or use some agency). Can I reasonably safely count on the 3 day expedited time frame for the added fee?
===
3 days should be no problem at all. Next day is almost always possible, and same day is sometimes.

===
AA holds show up as confirmed reservations, and you don't need to put up any cash, which is why I recommend them. Just be sure to print during the 24 hour period.

===
Just book a hotel that has a "pay at hotel" option. This is pretty common on ctrip, and I assume other OTAs as well.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:08 am

Thank you moondog and Majuki!!

I really appreciate your careful answers.

Romelle
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:33 am

Starting process with China Visa Solutions

I researched first a trip to Chicago - drive/fly. About a 7-hour drive each way. Flying would be tricky with the unsure amount of time for the process. Same for hotels no matter how I traveled.

Then researched the visa service places there. Opted to start with one service place that seemed to have a very solid reputation. Emailed an info request yesterday morning.

I just got my email of info and instructions from China Visa Solutions. Would have had it yesterday, but missed it sitting in my spam box.

I'll carefully follow their instructions plus your very helpful advice, and report the next development.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by moondog

AA holds show up as confirmed reservations, and you don't need to put up any cash, which is why I recommend them. Just be sure to print during the 24 hour period.

Just book a hotel that has a "pay at hotel" option. This is pretty common on ctrip, and I assume other OTAs as well.
For airline tickets you can also book a fully refundable fare (assuming you have the balance available on your your card and you aren't near the end of a billing period) and cancel once you have your visa.
Ditto for the hotel, just book a room through the hotel's website and be sure it can be canceled.

Once the visa is issued there is no check that you kept your original arrangements.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by milepig
For airline tickets you can also book a fully refundable fare (assuming you have the balance available on your your card and you aren't near the end of a billing period) and cancel once you have your visa.
Ditto for the hotel, just book a room through the hotel's website and be sure it can be canceled.

Once the visa is issued there is no check that you kept your original arrangements.
Sure you can book a fully refundable airfare and/or hotel, but I prefer approaches that put no money at risk. I once forgot to cancel a hotel reservation that I held with my credit card, and this is a lesson I don't wish to repeat. When I book hotels on Ctrip, I make sure not to let them add a credit card to the reservation unless I do a prepaid rate (very rare for me).
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

moondog and milepig,

I hadn't thought of fully refundable air tickets. Interesting. The tickets I tend to buy are at the other end of the spectrum from those. My card balance would is fine, but there is something to be said for not actually having any money at risk. Humm.

I did the hotel reservation - booking.com cancellable and pay at hotel. Set my electronic calendar for two different day warnings to cancel. But didn't have to put down anything for air on this first go-around with the agency (proofreading by them), so have yet to do that.

I'll post what I end up both trying and ultimately having to do.

My sympathies to moondog on forgetting to cancel. I once booked what I thought was minutes-after-noon air ticket. Oops - a minutes-after-midnight. Had to drag into work in slept-in clothes. My colleagues had great fun with that one. And then there was the good old one-day-off hotel reservation. And ... and ... These lessons to tend to stick. The only benefit I've ever figured out I can get from them is to share the story and try to warn others. Some listen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.