Wiki Posts
Search

PEK (Beijing) Stopover Permit Allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
PEK (Beijing) Stopover Permit Allowed?

Is the PEK Stopover Permit still allowed for stays less than 24 hours with evidence of onward travel within 24 hours? Technically can I leave the airport and go to the Hilton hotel for some sleep before my next flight?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: various
Yes you can go to hotel. The "stopover permit" is essentially a transit stamp put in your passport upon arrival. You get this at the Immigration Desk for International Transfer passengers. Look for it when you deplane and get to immigration. Have a printout of your full confirmed itinerary ready to show the officer along with your passport.

I assume you are arriving on PEK from an international flight and departing within 24 hours on another international flight.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yes you can go to hotel. The "stopover permit" is essentially a transit stamp put in your passport upon arrival. You get this at the Immigration Desk for International Transfer passengers. Look for it when you deplane and get to immigration. Have a printout of your full confirmed itinerary ready to show the officer along with your passport.

I assume you are arriving on PEK from an international flight and departing within 24 hours on another international flight.
Yes, I will be arriving on a flight from SIN (via BKK) and departing to FNJ within 24 hours. I might not end up leaving the airport after all, it seems.

On my return to SIN, I will again transit but might get out due to a longer, daytime layover.

The company in Beijing will have my Air Koryo ticket but will send everything to me via e-mail (including purchase price, etc) so I will have this to show the officer.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aragno
Is the PEK Stopover Permit still allowed for stays less than 24 hours with evidence of onward travel within 24 hours? Technically can I leave the airport and go to the Hilton hotel for some sleep before my next flight?
I think you mean the transit without visa program which is available to most (but not all) nationalities.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:38 am

Yes, I will be arriving on a flight from SIN (via BKK) and departing to FNJ within 24 hours. I might not end up leaving the airport after all, it seems.
Why not?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Why not?
I was looking to fly SIN-PEK direct during the morning and arrive around 330pm. A friend of mine just booked on TG via BKK so I think my wife and I will join him on that flight and just chill at the TG lounge, and then overnight from BKK to PEK. This way I don't use any points for my hotel stay (was going to use some HHonors points). Sure, I will be tired, but I will be super excited about this insane trip to DPRK!

I've not booked my return ticket yet as the business class seat just disappeared so I am waiting another day or maybe 2 to see if any more seats are released for my return flight on CA (Air China) and use some more UA miles. I will then have the choice of a) 4 hour layover and fly economy PEK-SIN, landing at 930pm or b) 12 hour layover and fly business PEK-SIN, landing at 545am and proceeding to work from there.

I've been to Beijing before. Anything worthwhile on a 12 hour, 11am-midnight layover, to see in Beijing that I may have previously missed?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: various
I've not booked my return ticket yet as the business class seat just disappeared so I am waiting another day or maybe 2 to see if any more seats are released for my return flight on CA (Air China) and use some more UA miles. I will then have the choice of a) 4 hour layover and fly economy PEK-SIN, landing at 930pm or b) 12 hour layover and fly business PEK-SIN, landing at 545am and proceeding to work from there.

I've been to Beijing before. Anything worthwhile on a 12 hour, 11am-midnight layover, to see in Beijing that I may have previously missed?
Option b is better, the 12-hour layover that has you flying business class. There's ALWAYS something more to see in Beijing that you've previously missed. The only issue is if you will need a good night's rest before going into work, which would favor the other option.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Option b is better, the 12-hour layover that has you flying business class. There's ALWAYS something more to see in Beijing that you've previously missed. The only issue is if you will need a good night's rest before going into work, which would favor the other option.
I have booked option B, the 12 hour layover in business. I have also booked 2 seats in economy on the earlier flight. I was informed I can cancel within 24 hours, so I will monitor. If 1 seat opens on the earlier flight, I will cancel my 2 in business. if 2 seats open, i can move to that flight at no cost or penalty. hopefully something opens... even if it opens later, I am willing to pay 75 per person to get in business on the earlier flight.

Otherwise, i'm off to find something to do in Beijing. We land at 11am from FNJ and depart for SIN at 1130pm. This must be enough time to see a couple things and eat a late lunch and nice dinner somewhere.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:01 pm

As much as I like Beijing, I really dislike those red eye flights to SIN when I'm expected to work immediately upon arrival. Furthermore, I have no problem at all with SQ in Y on this route... time just seems to fly.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
As much as I like Beijing, I really dislike those red eye flights to SIN when I'm expected to work immediately upon arrival. Furthermore, I have no problem at all with SQ in Y on this route... time just seems to fly.
Unfortunately (or maybe not), both flight options are with Air China..... I'm hoping at least 1 seat becomes available on the earlier flight but if not, I shall make the most of it all (or decide tonight to suck it up in economy and have a good rest at home).

I guess this is considered a "First World Problem."
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:34 am

Unfortunately (or maybe not), both flight options are with Air China..... I'm hoping at least 1 seat becomes available on the earlier flight but if not, I shall make the most of it all (or decide tonight to suck it up in economy and have a good rest at home).

I guess this is considered a "First World Problem."
I first started doing the PEK-SIN drill about 7 years ago. Back then, CA had a day time flight on a 737 (with a stop in XMN) and a red eye on a 767. I tried them only once (in F on the 737), and have stuck with SQ (day time flights in Y) ever since; my company would never pay for SQ C, and I felt strongly that SQ Y was better than anything on CA.

Since then, CA has improved quite a bit, and I'm guessing they're using better airplanes on the PEK-SIN route now, but I still remain loyal to SQ (on this route only; from Shanghai, I can tolerate MU).

In closing, if the red eye is still a 767, I advise you to do the day time flight in Y... or switch to SQ, if possible.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

What's the word on the street about the 100-day campaign to crackdown on foreigners in the country without proper documents? Given this lasts from 15-May to the end of August, and I intend to be in Beijing on 23-August, should I obtain a visa for my 12 hour layover, where I would like to go visit some of the hidden hutons mentioned in Timeout about a year ago?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:27 am

What's the word on the street about the 100-day campaign to crackdown on foreigners in the country without proper documents? Given this lasts from 15-May to the end of August, and I intend to be in Beijing on 23-August, should I obtain a visa for my 12 hour layover, where I would like to go visit some of the hidden hutons mentioned in Timeout about a year ago?
TWOV is proper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.