Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Bringing prescriptions for family to China?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:43 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

My wife and I are going to China to visit her parents who moved there for a year to teach. Her father has had some prescriptions filled through a US mailorder pharmacy that were sent to us with the hope that we would bring them to China. None of the prescriptions are narcotic (blood pressure and diabetes medication (non-insulin)) and are in pharmacy containers. The mailorder pharmacy provides a 90-day supply of the medication so the quantity of pills may be seen as higher than normal. Are we going to have issues brining them into China? In my previous arrivals in China I don't recall the customs/declaration process.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: various
No problem bringing them in. Make sure they are in your carry-on luggage. If you have a copy of the original prescription, bring that too but don't sweat it if you don't have. At least when flying into China, you no longer have to fill out a Customs declaration form. Normally foreigners are not stopped at Customs unless you have big boxes with you. Don't offer information if none is requested.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only time Chinese customs has taken any interest in us is when I was wheeling out 4 suitcases while apparently alone and the fact that our date of entry was two days earlier drew more interest.

At that point my wife caught up (I had finally simply started walking to get her to quit spending all eternity talking to the baggage office) and explained the airline left our bags behind and we were just now picking them up. End of inspection.

They didn't even react the day she set off the nuke alarm at the exit gate.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I bring a year's supply of all my medications without any issue.

Never even been questioned once.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I have brought lots of medicine from YVR to both HK and the Mainland and have never had problems.
(It was on sale and better quality than HK medicine.)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:13 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you all. I was a little worried about the prescription not being in either of the travelers names but if they don't even look that doesn't seem like it would be a problem.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have brought lots of medicine from YVR to both HK and the Mainland and have never had problems.
(It was on sale and better quality than HK medicine.)
Also never a problem for OTC or RX into China for relatives. This way they have a better chance of getting the real thing.

Heading to Asia, time to go to Costco to stock up 手信
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I've never had a thing inspected in China. Keep in luggage and don't act suspicious. Just make sure it isn't illegal.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by mnredfox
...and don't act suspicious.
and that's always the hardest part... trying not to look suspicious makes you feel like you are looking suspicious!!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Smile

Originally Posted by TTT
My wife and I are going to China to visit her parents who moved there for a year to teach. Her father has had some prescriptions filled through a US mailorder pharmacy that were sent to us with the hope that we would bring them to China. None of the prescriptions are narcotic (blood pressure and diabetes medication (non-insulin)) and are in pharmacy containers. The mailorder pharmacy provides a 90-day supply of the medication so the quantity of pills may be seen as higher than normal. Are we going to have issues brining them into China? In my previous arrivals in China I don't recall the customs/declaration process.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
There's no custom declaration form in China (strange), and I did not see anyone stopping/inspecting anyone on their way out of the controlled area, there was a cute dog walking around smelling people's luggage, but as long as you don't have dog food/meat product in your suitcase, I guess you are fine.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
and that's always the hardest part... trying not to look suspicious makes you feel like you are looking suspicious!!
If the drug dealers can do it...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:15 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If the drug dealers can do it...
Don't kid yourself.

Where there's money, there's gonna be dope pushed.

They don't just have beagles looking for meat.

Narcotic detection K9s Beijing.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You don't have to be worry about looks when the customs folks are fast asleep.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
You don't have to be worry about looks when the customs folks are fast asleep.
For the most part nonexistent!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:14 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just to update - no problems with getting the medicine through customs. I think there were two guys there but they weren't stopping anyone as far as I could tell.

I appreciate all the reassurances from this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.