Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight at ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Overnight at ORD?

Is it possible to camp out at the airport terminal. I'm trying to redeem miles to fly TPAC and the best thing I can find on a saver award requires an overnight in ORD. I'd arrive around 9 pm and will fly out the following day. Alternatively, I can book a hotel but don't want to at present as it's possible seats will open up for a same day connection in ORD. This overnight, is plan B n case hotel rates are sky high and flights don't open up.

Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/us...m#.Tra_DEMg_lY
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
at the beginning of the G terminal is a circular rotunda of sorts.....head up there and put two of the comfy chairs together and voila, theres your bed for the night!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:07 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TSA Checkpoints do close at night, but the terminals do remain open. in T3 the McDonald's is open 24 hours. There are a few other 24 hour establishments in other terminals too. It is possible to walk between Terminal 1, 2, and 3 without having to clear security.

Here is a list of food venues and hours of operation.
http://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollec...dine_hours.pdf

You can make a hotel reservation and cancel it prior to travel. Most hotels have 24 to 48 hour cancellation policies.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:59 pm

My son spent the night in the ORD terminal thanks to missing a connection on UA several years ago. Said that mice came out to eat the crumbs left on the floor.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:52 pm

I have paid as little as $35 a night in Hyatts around ORD on Priceline...
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
I'd book a hotel where you can cancel the room up to 6pm that day vs. sleeping in the airport and then as idainc mentions when you get closer if things aren't going to open up switch to a non refundable rate for possibly a lot less $.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was stuck at ORD during a groundstop last month catching one of the last domestic flights out and on my way to my gate in T3 between sections H/K and L, the airport or AA had set out several cots with blankets and dimmed/turned off the lights. I'd never seen this before at ORD. I don't know if you can ask for a cot, but assuming the hotels fall through and you are dying to sleep in a public place, it is also an option.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by tt1122
Is it possible to camp out at the airport terminal. I'm trying to redeem miles to fly TPAC and the best thing I can find on a saver award requires an overnight in ORD. I'd arrive around 9 pm and will fly out the following day. Alternatively, I can book a hotel but don't want to at present as it's possible seats will open up for a same day connection in ORD. This overnight, is plan B n case hotel rates are sky high and flights don't open up.
As this question doesn't specifically relate to American Airlines or AAdvantage, I'll go ahead and move it over to the Chicago forum for further input from the experts there.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Milz02315
I was stuck at ORD during a groundstop last month catching one of the last domestic flights out and on my way to my gate in T3 between sections H/K and L, the airport or AA had set out several cots with blankets and dimmed/turned off the lights. I'd never seen this before at ORD. I don't know if you can ask for a cot, but assuming the hotels fall through and you are dying to sleep in a public place, it is also an option.
I'm fairly certain they only bring out the cots for large weather events or similar stoppages that close airport operations or significantly effect the volume of flight cancellations (such as when the Aurora radar facility was sabotaged a little while back).

It's worth checking out, but the OP should be ready to find some comfy chairs as others suggest!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
FWIW, United Club in T1/C18 opens at 4:30am and offers showers and somewhat edible (for a domestic lounge) breakfast food, should you decide to overnight at the airport.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm fairly certain they only bring out the cots for large weather events or similar stoppages that close airport operations or significantly effect the volume of flight cancellations (such as when the Aurora radar facility was sabotaged a little while back).

It's worth checking out, but the OP should be ready to find some comfy chairs as others suggest!
Thanks for this clarification as the ground stop was due to a pretty nifty storm. It would explain why I haven't seen it in my many journeys through ORD.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Before sleeping on the floor at ORD, I would look at Hotwire/Priceline. A zillion hotels within 10 miles.

But I am no longer young and flexible.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by legalalien
FWIW, United Club in T1/C18 opens at 4:30am and offers showers and somewhat edible (for a domestic lounge) breakfast food, should you decide to overnight at the airport.
When did the United Club add showers? The first class int'l club has them, but AFAIK the regular UC doesn't have them.

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
When did the United Club add showers? The first class int'l club has them, but AFAIK the regular UC doesn't have them.
They've been allowing regular UC visitors to use GFL showers for a while now. It's officially listed as an amenity on united.com: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.