Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why a 'No Fly List' Aimed At Terrorists Delays Others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2003, 7:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...051300,00.html
---
Excellent article.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"The result is that carriers are checking the No Fly List a multitude of ways and coming up with vexing numbers of "false positives" -- innocent passengers subjected again and again to law-enforcement reviews. The flagging of some fliers who were political activists has even led to suspicions the government was grilling them because of their views."

Too many false positives. Time to scrap the No Fly List. It's a waste of time.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But Spiff, everyone is a potential terrorist.

Terrorists are very numerous - they are everywhere.

Won't someone please think of the children?!?
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
This is just outrageous. It's not the country I grew up in.

Bruce
Old Apr 22, 2003, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
We had a guy pulled off a UA flight SFO-FRA POST boarding and push back... Poor guy looked like any old person.

I actually sat next to him on a flight again from SFO-FRA a few weeks ago, I mentioned that I recognized him - being as polite as possible to not poke to much.

Long story short, his name matched someone they were looking for. Upon closer inspections he wasn't the person. He still said that he sometimes gets grief flying US carriers and he's tried to move most of this flying to LH.

Shame.....
Old Apr 22, 2003, 6:32 pm

I will have to agree that this is a big problem. I could have sworn I saw the name SPIFF listed.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
I will have to agree that this is a big problem. I could have sworn I saw the name SPIFF listed. </font>
Exactly the reason you won't see anyone wearing the "HI, I'm FWAAA" polo shirt at any airport.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I too read the WSJ article and feel that the "No Fly List " is yet another exercise in futility and a further invasion of privacy. The true terrorists have hundreds of aliases to use and, in any case, the names of who is or is not traveling has ZERO to do with who is/isn't a terrorist.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 4:43 am

It really is a stupid idea. I have to agree on that one. Scrap it and do something that might acually work for a change.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 5:36 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...o-fly-list.htm
Old Apr 28, 2003, 6:02 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Are airlines nowadays hiding behind bankruptcy as an excuse to cut back on customer service?

Instead airline should be using imaginative ways to make up for TSA inconveniences.

For example, if an automated kiosk rejects you for security reasons, you get a slip directing you to the Front Of The Line (tm Universal Studios), or the premier/elite line if any, for ticketing.

For example, if you miss your flight for security reasons, you are confirmed on the next operating flight at no extra charge and it is treated as a schedule irregularity flight cancellation from the passenger's viewpoint.

Things like this will bring back many more travelers.

(Or will bringing back many more air travelers overwhelm the airports?)

Labor unions were invented long ago to give the average working spiff a voice against the big bad company. Lots of us loath the ACLU but maybe now some good will come of it.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 04-28-2003).]
Old Apr 28, 2003, 3:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
This is just outrageous. It's not the country I grew up in.

Bruce
</font>
True, but then again, it's not the country George Washington grew up in either, or the one Kunta Kinte grew up in either. Things change and you can bet tomorrow will be different too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.