Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I witnessed a security breach at FLL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

I witnessed a security breach at FLL

Saturday at T1 A/B exit a man came out of the exit doors on his phone. I watched him walk to the side. He didn’t interact with anyone. Maybe 3 mins later a wheelchair came out of one of the doors and he walked back in, somehow making it through all 3 sets of doors before they closed. The worker with the wheelchair yelled at him and he said something (probably about leaving an item) as he ran through. There was no police or TSA in site and in fact a minute later a TSO (probably on break) casually walked out the exit doors. I had someone to pick up so I got him and got the hell out of there so I don’t know if there was a resolution. I’d have thought think that this happens more often than we think with these automated doors and no physical security personnel anymore, plus the language barrier of many passengers (not in this case it appears) and the entitlement of people that if they were already through they shouldn’t have to be rescreened (probably this story)

just thought id share.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm glad no one died.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
I'm glad no one died.
me too but I am more in shock at the lack of interest by everyone except myself and the wheelchair guy. There were literally hundreds of people standing there and nobody batted an eye. And how did nobody see this on a camera or something?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Did you call 911 or the police working nearby and notify them of imminent danger?

Originally Posted by catocony
I'm glad no one died.
I think the sarcasm wasn’t recognized by all.
STBCypriot likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

yup. I knew it. That’s why I tried to get back on topic with the above post
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did you call 911 or the police working nearby and notify them of imminent danger?

Luckily I'm self-entertaining.

That said, why did no one else get alarmed? Because the guy walked out a door and walked right back in, and there's no danger in that. When it comes to security theater, sometimes it's more local summer stock than a Broadway production. You have to let things slide sometimes because it just isn't truly important. It's certainly not worth a terminal dump, especially in South Florida where not everyone is walking around with a fully functional brain.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP saw a person walk out of the exit then a few minutes later reentered. States the person did not interact with anyone.

Other than being against TSA's "rules" please state the threat.
milski and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't feel like a threat to me, but like the OP, if I was leaving anyway, I'd get the hell out of there. Not because of a bomb or anything.
But because if someone does report it... Well, you know what's likely to happen
muji and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jco613

yup. I knew it. That’s why I tried to get back on topic with the above post
I guess I'll try to say it more clearly.

Before 9-11 millions were dying, every single day, due to security breaches at the airports. In fact, the planes crashing into the WTC killed less people than just every day life at the airport. Airports were massively underserved by security personnel. Most entrances were unmonitored, meaning people snuck in guns and shot people and then snuck out. People carried on bombs like nobody's business, and 1 out of 4 planes would arrive late because a bomb exploded and with half the plane destroyed it was much harder for the pilot to make that on-time arrival.
When you exited the airport it would feel like you were in the a warzone, what with all these machine-gun armed vehicles being allowed to just loiter at the curb, shooting at every other person who walked out of the airport.

We are very grateful you are reporting the security breach here. Because of people like you planes don't crash anymore, people don't get shot anymore, and America is, in general and in every specific detail as well, safer.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Meh, it is more fun to be the "security" breach. Been there done that and no PAX were harmed in the operation of the airport or flight. Most of all TSA was none the wiser (as if they would be).

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 4, 2019 at 8:00 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:24 pm

Over the last 20 years I have a few times managed to stumble past Customs by accidentally taking a wrong (or right) turn somewhere along the way.
Been a while though. I'm sure it's happened to others.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Please! Don't talking about security breach. There's no threats. If you see someone who left behinds in the entire concourse. You can't ask TSA or anyone else. They have to leave from the entire concourse. If you forget something. You must go back to TSA checkpoints on third level near ticket counter. They will taken care of it. So please don't bother with the passengers or anyone else. Minds your own business.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Let me be 100% clear in my post...

FLL T-1 has the new unmanned exit doors that are designed to prevent this.

The man man was outside of security for 2-3 minutes. If I forget something behind security I go tell someone and get assistance. At FLL T-1 with no TSA and with the secure area being in between ticketing and baggage claim, this was not possible. However, the persons attitude was very rude and entitled, so I’m not sure if he even would have attempted.

Regardless of security theater, a lot could happen in 2 minutes outside of a secure area. If someone from the airport or TSA was right there I would have alerted them immediately. But the biggest issue I see here goes back to the automated exits. Maybe they weren’t such a bright idea after all?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jco613
Let me be 100% clear in my post...

FLL T-1 has the new unmanned exit doors that are designed to prevent this.

The man man was outside of security for 2-3 minutes. If I forget something behind security I go tell someone and get assistance. At FLL T-1 with no TSA and with the secure area being in between ticketing and baggage claim, this was not possible. However, the persons attitude was very rude and entitled, so I’m not sure if he even would have attempted.

Regardless of security theater, a lot could happen in 2 minutes outside of a secure area. If someone from the airport or TSA was right there I would have alerted them immediately. But the biggest issue I see here goes back to the automated exits. Maybe they weren’t such a bright idea after all?
Highlighting above nine.

Neither was inventing TSA but that's just my opinion.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:34 am

I think the OP was more concerned that ANYONE could have done what this individual did. I agree that since the individual left the secure area and darted back there was no threat but obviously not according to procedure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.