FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA Changes Rules on Medical Cannabis (Quietly) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1971759-tsa-changes-rules-medical-cannabis-quietly.html)

Boggie Dog May 29, 2019 7:17 am

TSA Changes Rules on Medical Cannabis (Quietly)

Heard a snippet on my local news about changing rules on Medical Cannabis. Seems to find this announcement one has to go looking for it as TSA has kept very quiet about it.

Medical Marijuana

After reading the blurb from TSA I'm not so sure that this doesn't muddy the water even more.

......... and as always:

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the check point.

chollie May 29, 2019 11:31 am

This is no different than TSA's stance regarding prescription drugs. As someone pointed out to me recently, TSA's 'Can I take?' page says medical nitroglycerine is permitted - except when it isn't.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer.

A more truthful and accurate way of stating it would be: "Nothing is allowed unless a screener says it is".

Boggie Dog May 29, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31150106)
This is no different than TSA's stance regarding prescription drugs. As someone pointed out to me recently, TSA's 'Can I take?' page says medical nitroglycerine is permitted - except when it isn't.

A more truthful and accurate way of stating it would be: "Nothing is allowed unless a screener says it is".

Believe I was the one to point out the change regarding nitroglycerin. Before the noted change there was no specific mention at all.
And as I said in the original comment I think TSA muddied the water on medical cannabis and still leaves the provision that the rules are whatever a single screener says they are at any given time. No way to conduct screening in my opinion. No way to hold TSA accountable for whatever process is in play on any day or CYA to the MAX!

FliesWay2Much May 30, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 31149119)
Heard a snippet on my local news about changing rules on Medical Cannabis. Seems to find this announcement one has to go looking for it as TSA has kept very quiet about it.

Medical Marijuana

After reading the blurb from TSA I'm not so sure that this doesn't muddy the water even more.

......... and as always:

It's amazing to me that the agency who swears up one side and down the other that they don't search for drugs has now given the American people permission to fly with medical pot.

chollie May 30, 2019 11:48 am

Wait - what happened to the mandatory reporting requirement? I thought TSA claims that any alleged drugs encountered 'incidental' to a search MUST be reported to LE.

I'm surprised some enterprising TSO hasn't bypassed local LE and called the feds. Transporting illegal drugs across state lines is a federal crime, right? And marijuana is still illegal under federal law, no exceptions.

petaluma1 May 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31150106)

This is my standard response to both the TSA blurb on "what can I take" and when individuals ask if they can bring a particular item on board:

In actuality, TSA allows nothing. Using “screener discretion" TSA can confiscate ANYTHING no matter what’s on a list or what @AskTSA says is o.k.

yandosan May 30, 2019 5:57 pm

The Federal prohibition on marijuana seems like quite an albatross around their necks at this point.
Do you want the doctors or the Feds to tell you what's an effective or reasonable medicine?

chollie May 30, 2019 6:16 pm

I don't understand how screeners now have the individual discretion to violate a federal mandatory reporting law.

rickg523 May 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by yandosan (Post 31155182)
The Federal prohibition on marijuana seems like quite an albatross around their necks at this point.
Do you want the doctors or the Feds to tell you what's an effective or reasonable medicine?

Or even better an underpaid TSO.

Boggie Dog May 30, 2019 6:56 pm

A close reading of TSA's announcement reveals that very little has changed. There is only one drug approved by the FDA that is made from cannabis sativa, just one. The other part of the change is CBD oil made from hemp .

This article explains both components of the rule well

TSA updates 'medical marijuana' regulations to reflect FDA-approved drug containing cannabidiol

The "medical marijuana" section of the guidelines now says “products/medications that contain hemp-derived CBD or are approved by the FDA are legal as long as it is produced within the regulations defined by the law under the Agriculture Improvement Act 2018.” Medications fitting that description can be packed in both checked and carry-on luggage — albeit with special instructions.
So those living in states that are in violation of current federal law will see no change.

WillCAD May 30, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31155242)
I don't understand how screeners now have the individual discretion to violate a federal mandatory reporting law.

Yes, but is mandatory reporting required by an actual law? We have yet to see any CFR reference to mandatory reporting of suspected illegal substances.

FliesWay2Much May 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 31155349)
A close reading of TSA's announcement reveals that very little has changed. There is only one drug approved by the FDA that is made from cannabis sativa, just one. The other part of the change is CBD oil made from hemp .

This article explains both components of the rule well

TSA updates 'medical marijuana' regulations to reflect FDA-approved drug containing cannabidiol

So those living in states that are in violation of current federal law will see no change.

TSA clerks wouldn't understand the differences if it hit them between the eyes. We are told that they aren't trained on drug interdiction at the academy (and, of course, we believe it), so they will have to rely on their own personal experience or what they see on HBO.

petaluma1 May 31, 2019 6:03 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD (Post 31155402)
Yes, but is mandatory reporting required by an actual law? We have yet to see any CFR reference to mandatory reporting of suspected illegal substances.

Yes, we are still waiting for that piece of information. I'm guessing it doesn't exist.

Boggie Dog May 31, 2019 7:26 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 31156595)
Yes, we are still waiting for that piece of information. I'm guessing it doesn't exist.

They sure don't seem to be able to point out the exact language that requires such reporting. Just more "Trust Us" which is the last thing I would do for TSA.

Randyk47 May 31, 2019 7:31 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD (Post 31155402)

TSA can, and probably does, have its own set of regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures that are not codified in any CFR. As it is CFRs are not laws in the sense we typically think of laws and really are more administrative laws that cut across the whole Federal government. For instance the US Army has hundreds of regulations, field manuals, training manuals, standard operating procedures, etc., from the very highest Army-wide level down to the lowest unit level and the majority of those are not based on a CFR. That said there are some instances where a CFR is based on law and the CFR lays out how the Federal government will comply with and enforce the law. Typically the CFR lays out general guidelines and charges Federal agencies with enforcing the law and requires they develop their own appropriate set of regulations, etc. It’s a bit of a gray area sometimes hard to understand even to those of us in the Federal government. Bottom line is there may be a CFR that requires Federal agencies to adhere to and enforce Federal controlled substance laws but most probably doesn’t get down to the detail that TSA personnel are required to report suspected substances. That more likely is a TSA level regulation, policy, or other appropriate guideline.

Boggie Dog May 31, 2019 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 31156860)

TSA can, and probably does, have its own set of regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures that are not codified in any CFR. As it is CFRs are not laws in the sense we typically think of laws and really are more administrative laws that cut across the whole Federal government. For instance the US Army has hundreds of regulations, field manuals, training manuals, standard operating procedures, etc., from the very highest Army-wide level down to the lowest unit level and the majority of those are not based on a CFR. That said there are some instances where a CFR is based on law and the CFR lays out how the Federal government will comply with and enforce the law. Typically the CFR lays out general guidelines and charges Federal agencies with enforcing the law and requires they develop their own appropriate set of regulations, etc. It’s a bit of a gray area sometimes hard to understand even to those of us in the Federal government. Bottom line is there may be a CFR that requires Federal agencies to adhere to and enforce Federal controlled substance laws but most probably doesn’t get down to the detail that TSA personnel are required to report suspected substances. That more likely is a TSA level regulation, policy, or other appropriate guideline.

An internal government agency policy should not impact the public. We see local and state governments that have decided to not cooperate with certain federal agencies.

edit to add: It should be no great task to recite the rule that requires such reporting if there is one.

Randyk47 May 31, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 31156875)
An internal government agency policy should not impact the public. We see local and state governments that have decided to not cooperate with certain federal agencies.

edit to add: It should be no great task to recite the rule that requires such reporting if there is one.

Really? I’d lay a bet that there are agencies/sub-agencies that by definition routinely interface with the public that have a whole set of “internal” regulations, policies, guidelines, etc., that lay out how they interface with the public. Off the top of my head there is the Social Security Administration, Internal Revenue Service, and Veterans Affairs Administration just to name a few. I’d throw Department of Homeland Security and its subagencies into those agencies that have direct and frequent contact with the public.

PS - To get what I think you’re looking probably would require a FOIA request. That potentially could show if there is a real or implied authority in the USC, CFR, or in internal guidance to report suspected controlled substances to local authorities.

Section 107 May 31, 2019 10:21 am

I dont understand the fixation that if it's not in a statute or published in the CFR a federal agency cannot place on its employees a requirement (in this case, to notify proper authority of a suspected violation of law) on how to act/what to do in certain situations and the implication that absent such statute or CFR the employer's requirements are invalid.

chollie May 31, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 31155404)
TSA clerks wouldn't understand the differences if it hit them between the eyes. We are told that they aren't trained on drug interdiction at the academy (and, of course, we believe it), so they will have to rely on their own personal experience or what they see on HBO.

Yeah, I was reading an earlier post and wondered if TSOs are going to start reading labels again. Last time they did, I got my nitro pills confiscated.

How much training will TSOs get to enable them to distinguish between hemp-based CBD products (legal) and marijuana-based CBD products (not legal)?

Or will they follow the usual TSA practice: when in doubt, confiscate, even if you are 100% sure it poses no threat to aviation security.

chollie May 31, 2019 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 31157386)
I dont understand the fixation that if it's not in a statute or published in the CFR a federal agency cannot place on its employees a requirement (in this case, to notify proper authority of a suspected violation of law) on how to act/what to do in certain situations and the implication that absent such statute or CFR the employer's requirements are invalid.

If it is mandatory, that means no TSO is allowed to ignore the law/rule/regulation at his/her discretion.

Now it sounds llke we have yet another TSA 'law' that really boils down to TSOs doing whatever they want.

The stupidest part? TSA routinely misses firearms which probably aren't enough to take down an airplane. They could certainly be used to cause bodily harm, but so could a laptop or martial arts skills.

So instead of paying more attention to screening instead of cellphones and personal chit-chat, TSA decides to make it clear that contrary to the evidence, TSA isn't specifically targeting drugs, although it will summon LE and make a report even if the TSO mistakenly identifies a baggie of oregano as marijuana. Additionally, the screeners who aren't looking for drugs and aren't trained to recognize drugs will now be tasked with reading labels to determine if CBD ointment is hemp or marijuana-derived.

All of this effort to tackle drugs that can't jeopardize aviation safety in any way. In the meantime, they continue to open containers of powders at checkpoints, knowing that the powders could be anthrax or fentanyl, genuine threats to public safety, on or off a plane.

rickg523 May 31, 2019 11:41 am

I'm assuming a 100% confiscation policy.
I ain't bringing my stash to the airport so some TSO has a better weekend.

Randyk47 May 31, 2019 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31157671)

From what I understand they don’t have that authority. Sounds like it’s a “see something, say something” policy and that gets dumped in the lap of the local police. Not sure what happens if the police say “no issue” when it’s legal in their state. I will say the quoted guidance in a posting above is clear as mud. I share Chollie’s concern that the new policy makes things worse instead of better.

chollie May 31, 2019 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31157671)

I'd like to know if weed confiscations are handled the same way firearm confiscations are handled, ie, LE takes charge of the confiscated material for proper disposal. I read that some airport has a bin for weed disposal next to the can for liquid disposal pre-checkpoint. I'd want to know who takes custody of that disposal bin and what audit trail there is.

Boggie Dog May 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31157707)
I'd like to know if weed confiscations are handled the same way firearm confiscations are handled, ie, LE takes charge of the confiscated material for proper disposal. I read that some airport has a bin for weed disposal next to the can for liquid disposal pre-checkpoint. I'd want to know who takes custody of that disposal bin and what audit trail there is.

Wouldn't the person holding the weed disposal bin be in violation of federal law for simple possession?​​​​​​

chollie May 31, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 31157779)
Wouldn't the person holding the weed disposal bin be in violation of federal law for simple possession?​​​​​​

Not if it's a TSO because the laws that apply to TSOs are SSI, so we have no way of knowing what is allowed and what isn't. They take possession of prescription meds that are not their own, so presumably illegal drugs would be handled the same way.

txpenny May 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31157657)
If it is mandatory, that means no TSO is allowed to ignore the law/rule/regulation at his/her discretion.

Now it sounds llke we have yet another TSA 'law' that really boils down to TSOs doing whatever they want.

The stupidest part? TSA routinely misses firearms which probably aren't enough to take down an airplane. They could certainly be used to cause bodily harm, but so could a laptop or martial arts skills.

So instead of paying more attention to screening instead of cellphones and personal chit-chat, TSA decides to make it clear that contrary to the evidence, TSA isn't specifically targeting drugs, although it will summon LE and make a report even if the TSO mistakenly identifies a baggie of oregano as marijuana. Additionally, the screeners who aren't looking for drugs and aren't trained to recognize drugs will now be tasked with reading labels to determine if CBD ointment is hemp or marijuana-derived.

All of this effort to tackle drugs that can't jeopardize aviation safety in any way. In the meantime, they continue to open containers of powders at checkpoints, knowing that the powders could be anthrax or fentanyl, genuine threats to public safety, on or off a plane.

Don't let Karate Man fly.....

WillCAD May 31, 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 31156860)

I'm sure that when the resident TSOs on this board say that TSOs are "required" to notify LEOs when they suspect an illegal substance, they mean solely that TSA internal regulations require such a report.

What we're asking is, under what authority did TSA enact such a requirement on their screening personnel, which not only has absolutely nothing to do with aviation security, but actually compromises security by wasting resources, disrupting/interrupting screening operations, and distracts other TSA personnel from their jobs. Not to mention the waste of time when local LEOs are summoned for something that may or may not be an illegal substance in their jurisdiction, and the black eye it gives TSA in general when they hold up travelers for false alarms, often scaring the bejeebus out of bystanders who don't know whether the cops are there for a bag of oregano twenty pounds of C4 shaped like a teddy bear.

Basically, if they're not required by some federal law to report suspected illegal substances, then they shouldn't be reporting them because such reporting presents a genuine security risk to the traveling public.

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 31157706)
From what I understand they don’t have that authority. Sounds like it’s a “see something, say something” policy and that gets dumped in the lap of the local police. Not sure what happens if the police say “no issue” when it’s legal in their state. I will say the quoted guidance in a posting above is clear as mud. I share Chollie’s concern that the new policy makes things worse instead of better.

If something is not a prohibited item, and it's not illegal in the jurisdiction where the report is made, if the substance confiscated? Is the traveler allowed to continue on their journey? I want to know the answers to these questions as well.

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 31157899)
Don't let Karate Man fly.....

Karate man bruises on the INSIDE.

<deleted by moderator>

petaluma1 Jun 1, 2019 6:17 am

I fail to see the same "fixation" as you apparently see. What I see is a failure of anyone from TSA being able to point to the federal law that requires TSA screeners to report suspected drugs.

But in the event a substance appears to be marijuana or a cannabis-infused product, we’re required by federal law to notify law enforcement. This includes items that are used for medicinal purposes.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne.../#1910a99831e6

Randyk47 Jun 1, 2019 6:56 am

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...ing-procedures This TSA blurb mentions the Controlled Substances Act (Title 21 United States Code) as the source of their requirement to report discovered controlled substances to local authorities. I don’t have the energy or time to read through the several hundred pages of Title 21 to see what authorities are set out.

chollie Jun 1, 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 31159896)
https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...ing-procedures This TSA blurb mentions the Controlled Substances Act (Title 21 United States Code) as the source of their requirement to report discovered controlled substances to local authorities. I don’t have the energy or time to read through the several hundred pages of Title 21 to see what authorities are set out.

That never really made sense to me. If you are a federal worker who knows the law being broken is a federal law, why are the local authorities summoned? They have no jurisdiction and less knowledge of federal laws than federal LEs. Unless local muscle is needed to physically secure the accused pax until the federal authorities arrive, I can't see why they would or should be involved.

Randyk47 Jun 1, 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31160569)
That never really made sense to me. If you are a federal worker who knows the law being broken is a federal law, why are the local authorities summoned? They have no jurisdiction and less knowledge of federal laws than federal LEs. Unless local muscle is needed to physically secure the accused pax until the federal authorities arrive, I can't see why they would or should be involved.

Unfortunately it is not true that state and local law enforcement does not enforce Federal law. In fact many Federal laws require the state and local authorities to enforce Federal laws. See this paper for a discussion of that: https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi...ty_scholarship

Of course the other gray area is most, if not all, states that passed more permissive marijuana laws also made it illegal to transport marijuana out of the state. Don’t know for sure but I’m guessing they didn’t want to run afoul of the Federal laws that prohibit interstate transportation of controlled substances. So is TSA also aware of and alerting local law enforcement of state law violations?

chollie Jun 1, 2019 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 31160641)

Unfortunately it is not true that state and local law enforcement does not enforce Federal law. In fact many Federal laws require the state and local authorities to enforce Federal laws. See this paper for a discussion of that: https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi...ty_scholarship

Of course the other gray area is most, if not all, states that passed more permissive marijuana laws also made it illegal to transport marijuana out of the state. Don’t know for sure but I’m guessing they didn’t want to run afoul of the Federal laws that prohibit interstate transportation of controlled substances. So is TSA also aware of and alerting local law enforcement of state law violations?

I think it would be interesting to know how many times TSOs summoned LEs for pax with medical marijuana flying entirely within the state where it is legal. IIRC, there was a sheriff in Oakland (?) who refused to stand down on the issue. Seems to me someone (county?) had to pass a law specifically targeting his office and addressing his refusal to follow local law over federal law.

I think the real issue there was that his political grandstanding was a waste of resources much better applied elsewhere.

FliesWay2Much Jun 1, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 31159805)
I fail to see the same "fixation" as you apparently see. What I see is a failure of anyone from TSA being able to point to the federal law that requires TSA screeners to report suspected drugs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne.../#1910a99831e6

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31160569)

In my 42 years in the federal government, I have NEVER received a briefing or read a directive that REQUIRED me to reports illegal substances or anything else. Remember that the TSA also applied this "federal law" to large amounts of cash and asserted that EVERY federal employee had the same reporting requirements as clerks.

Back in the early days (1980s) I was told, as an Air Force officer, to look for dilated pupils (no joke!) in the enlisted troops as a sign of drug use. Also, anyone who missed a lot of Mondays by being sick "probably" had a substance abuse problem.

Boggie Dog Jun 1, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31160700)
I think it would be interesting to know how many times TSOs summoned LEs for pax with medical marijuana flying entirely within the state where it is legal. IIRC, there was a sheriff in Oakland (?) who refused to stand down on the issue. Seems to me someone (county?) had to pass a law specifically targeting his office and addressing his refusal to follow local law over federal law.

I think the real issue there was that his political grandstanding was a waste of resources much better applied elsewhere.

How long and how many screeners are taken from their screening job to report finding a persons stash? I'm not a consumer of cannabis, don't even know how to find any, but for personal use amounts I feel TSA can better spend their time elsewhere.

Randyk47 Jun 2, 2019 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 31161027)
How long and how many screeners are taken from their screening job to report finding a persons stash? I'm not a consumer of cannabis, don't even know how to find any, but for personal use amounts I feel TSA can better spend their time elsewhere.

I’d imagine the actual occurrence is quite low. Certainly TSA does not pull every carry on bag for inspection and then how many of those bags have a stash? Probably a pretty low number statistically.

Randyk47 Jun 2, 2019 7:31 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 31161022)
In my 42 years in the federal government, I have NEVER received a briefing or read a directive that REQUIRED me to reports illegal substances or anything else. Remember that the TSA also applied this "federal law" to large amounts of cash and asserted that EVERY federal employee had the same reporting requirements as clerks.

Back in the early days (1980s) I was told, as an Air Force officer, to look for dilated pupils (no joke!) in the enlisted troops as a sign of drug use. Also, anyone who missed a lot of Mondays by being sick "probably" had a substance abuse problem.

I also did 42 years with the US Army retiring 10 years ago. My wife still works for the Army and is the civilian chief of staff for her command. You would not believe the amount of mandatory training they now get. Covers drug abuse, alcohol abuse, suicide prevention, the whole bag of potential acts of discrimination, sexual harassment, PTSD, workplace violence, and on and on. Some training is just awareness but some requires reporting.

petaluma1 Jun 2, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 31159896)

I've gone through Title 21 rather closely and the particular authorities TSA claims do not seem to be included. If somebody can prove me wrong, I'd appreciate being enlightened.

As an aside, the list of "controlled substances" is so long that I am certain that illegal drugs are carried onto flights every single day and TSA is not aware of it.

Boggie Dog Jun 2, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 31162409)

I’d imagine the actual occurrence is quite low. Certainly TSA does not pull every carry on bag for inspection and then how many of those bags have a stash? Probably a pretty low number statistically.

I'm speaking more to the manpower impact on an individual checkpoint. I suspect that stashes are first identified as an unknown organic by the x-ray operator, then resolved by a hand search. At that point the screener is suppose to call for a supervisor who decides to involve police. As seen in numerous videos screeners tend to mass around any checkpoint incident which further reduces focus on the real task of finding WEI. I believe That TSA is actively looking for non-WEI items, seeing as how TSA sees itself as a quasi Law Enforcement agency, which reduces the effectiveness of TSA's true mission.

saizai Jun 2, 2019 1:38 pm

1. Thanks for posting this, OP. It'll make for yet another nice exhibit in my 1st Cir. case to show how TSA blatantly violates the APA.
  2. Here are the pre & post versions:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190511075729/https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/medical-marijuana
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190526160254/https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/medical-marijuana
  3. Commenter contrasting CFR with regulations doesn't seem to know what the R stands for.
  4. It's currently illegal for the federal government to prosecute someone for pot if they comply with state law. Rohrbacher-Farr amendment. (Though that applies only to DoJ, it's hard to see how calling cops on someone who might be complying with state law would further the security of aviation.)
  5. TSA has no lawful authority to detain anyone, or their stuff, while waiting for cops. Nor do local cops have authority to enforce most federal laws. TSA does have its own federal cops (TSIs & FAMs) but I've never heard of one being summoned to a checkpoint, nor of them being trained in drug interdiction. The en banc oral argument in Pellegrino (3rd Cir.) is fairly interesting on this point.

Boggie Dog Jun 2, 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by saizai (Post 31163442)
  1. Thanks for posting this, OP. It'll make for yet another nice exhibit in my 1st Cir. case to show how TSA blatantly violates the APA.
  2. Here are the pre & post versions:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190511...ical-marijuana
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190526...ical-marijuana
  3. Commenter contrasting CFR with regulations doesn't seem to know what the R stands for.
  4. It's currently illegal for the federal government to prosecute someone for pot if they comply with state law. Rohrbacher-Farr amendment. (Though that applies only to DoJ, it's hard to see how calling cops on someone who might be complying with state law would further the security of aviation.)
  5. TSA has no lawful authority to detain anyone, or their stuff, while waiting for cops. Nor do local cops have authority to enforce most federal laws. TSA does have its own federal cops (TSIs & FAMs) but I've never heard of one being summoned to a checkpoint, nor of them being trained in drug interdiction. The en banc oral argument in Pellegrino (3rd Cir.) is fairly interesting on this point.

Be sure to read comment #10 in this thread.