Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I had a physical altercation with DFW Customs agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I had a physical altercation with DFW Customs agents

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CUSO
It absolutely blows me away that people just comply. Even when you are not doing anything wrong, you still comply. For me, it would absolutely enrage me if somebody did that to my mother, my daughters, my wife. If they would do that to me why shouldn't they do that to anybody else? We pay these people not to be a** holes but to get us through customs. I'm not 2 years old, don't tell me to walk back through the direction I came in then walk back to your desk. Don't attempt to grab me and take my phone away. I'm not like all the other sheep in line. If I am not wrong I will deal with it in the way that I think it should be dealt with. And if they had a touch me again I would absolutely fought back. It was my line, it may not be your line but remember I paid just like you these people salaries to to a job. They are supposed to be DE escalators and these people escalated it it every single point. They are not safe to be around. I do not want them to do that to anybody's family into get power trips around anybody's family.
Well, in my case, its either comply or risk getting shot. I simply don't have the luxury of fighting back. At the very least, I'd be in prison. I don't want to go OMNI/PR on this, but obviously, not everyone has the luxury of fighting back and simply walking away in one piece.

I might not have survived your encounter, and everyone would have shaken their head and said 'he should have complied'. That's why I would have complied.

That being said, sorry that you experienced this. Luckily you came through it ok.
König likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I am still enraged. I cannot believe how horrible they are. Arrived from LIR 4/14/29 at 8pm. Went strait to a completely empty Global Entry line. Nobody was there. They had 8 of those switchbacks that i had to walk back and forth through. Again there WAS NOBODY IN THE LINE AT ALL. At about the 7th switchback, i just ducked under the last one. Immediately i was told agressively by the Customs agent that that was not legal, that I must walk through the 8 switchbacks and walk back through the switchbacks. I immediately demanded a supervisor. One was not available, so i stood there in the empty line continually demanding one. I pulled out my phone to tell my wife i would be late and was having problems with customs. The agent jumped from behind his desk and ran toward me grabbed my rm and tried to grab my phone telling me it was illegal to have a phone out while in a customs line. I pulled back and another agent grabbed me and i pushed him off hard. The supervisor showed up and in the loud authoratative voice they are trained to use stated, "I would have had you walk back through just like the agent said". He asked me for my Global Entry card, and told me I must have it on me, and he could pull my GE for not having it. Look, i am an easy guy to deal with, but i am a big guy an spent lots of time in military law enforcement, i was not intimidated, and i know when BS is happening, and at that moment i drew a line in the sand and i would have died before i walked back through the switchbacks. I had lots of aggressive words with these people. i was surrounded and nobody was coming to my defense, (all the sheeple just thinking i was causing the issue) . I told the supervisor I want to go home now, he said we want you to go home also, so with that I grabbed my passport from his hands grabbed my bag, pushed through 2 agents and walked right through customs and exited, the whole time I thought they would stop me. As luck would have it, the DFW watch commander Krutzle was by the baggage claim. I told him what happened, and he confirmed that everything the agents and supervisor told me were not accurate. You can go under the rope, you can have your phone out, and you do not need your GE card when traveling. He assured me that nothing at all will be happening to my GE status, and telling him was the same thing as filing a formal complaint. Anything else i should do?

Perhaps differing from the others on this forum if I were confident enough in myself I would do as you did. Far too often these 'public servants' use any pretense to try and exercise their petty authority. I would encourage you to peruse an apology from the agents in question. They were in the wrong. imitating a physical confrontation is extremely inappropriate for them in this situation. The fact that they (and many LEO"S) will lie to you in order to do as they wish is inappropriate at best. Good on you for standing up to their petty tyranny.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Legally I have every right to defend myself from illegal physical aggression, even from police.
As stated, this is not true. The right of self-defense against police action is limited and nuanced. Depending on the state, there may be such a right, but most likely only when the LEO uses excessive force, i.e., force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm. There are also caveats re good cause for the LEO's actions and other circumstances.

But if you want to test the limits, I guess you will.

cestmoi123, milski, HMPS and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLATINUM
so many sheep

Sheeple have made so many contributions to humanity and freedom.... SAID NODODY EVER
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:58 pm

Sheeple have made so many contributions to humanity and freedom.... SAID NODODY EVER
If you are a true lion, I'd take the advice from others, "Lions don't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep".
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLATINUM
Originally Posted by mendezka
If you are a true lion, I'd take the advice from others, "Lions don't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep".
Brother, I walk the walk with no regrets. I do it for me and my family, and actually you guys benefit as well. and I dont mind sheep, the world needs them, I am just surprised so many here. and to take it further, If I see in public any of your wives, kids or mothers being treated like trash by public servants or anyone for that matter, I will never hesitate to step in. I always have and always will. And I have come to the realization that while I will step in and defend anybody from some BS, I fully understand that most of you would never stand up for my family if they were in that situation. I'm OK with that but it's unfortunate
AceReport and mendezka like this.

Last edited by CUSO; Apr 15, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Sounds like both of you were the problem
Fraser, milski and König like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:18 pm

Brother, I walk the walk with no regrets. I do it for me and my family, and actually you guys benefit as well. and I dont mind sheep, the world needs them, I am just surprised so many here. and to take it further, If I see in public any of your wives, kids or mothers being treated like trash by public servants or anyone for that matter, I will never hesitate to step in. I always have and always will
And genuinely, I think all of us appreciate that more than you know. Unfortunately, for numerous reasons be it financial, lack of confidence, or racial. Many of us cannot stand up for ourselves or others in public settings. I don't think anyone here is necessarily telling you what you did was wrong. I think many find it admirable & slightly crazy to be fair! It is something not many of us could/would perform. We as a people have been conditioned into behaving a certain way with public figures, and for most of us it is necessary. Most can't afford to spend a night or 2 in jail, most can't afford the legal fees defending our position. Most are too fearful of the ramifications that would come to pass if we behaved this way. You aren't though, and we need more people like you. I'm sure we all wish we could stand up to the corruption we see on a day to day basis. But it rarely ends as well for the rest of us as it appears to have ended for you.
jfunk138, IndyHoosier and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I do give credit to the OP for standing up against an improper application of governmental authority. we’d be like North Korea if everyone just followed orders.

However, I’d still pushback about consequential things and wouldn’t bother about inconsequential things.
mendezka likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:02 pm

This thread reminds me of some stories where people going through internal Border Patrol checkpoints refused to answer agents' questions. A noble thing to do, no objections from me. However, few of them realized that their success stories were due to the fact that they were white and spoke accentless American English. I myself don't mind being privileged because of my race, but it's important to acknowledge it. Something that OP doesn't get. His "lion" status is not because of his brave attitude but due to some criteria outside of most people's control.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Kudos to OP for asserting his rights in Customs. All too many times do we see tales travelers being harassed because of some over zealous officers. Like OP says, he has law enforcement training, and his wife practices law. So aside from irreparable damage such as getting accidentally shot, i'm sure that he'd be made whole if the agents were to break the rules and cause harm. That being said, 99% of travelers probably don't know the rules and regulations very well, so the rule of avoiding confrontation is probably what everyone else should stick to.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I was OK getting arrested. I know the law well and my wife is an ATTY. He initiated illegal contact, if they arrested me, there was no doubt that there would be a settlement. I was OK with that. Just because they are law enforcement does not mean they can violate the law. Legally I have every right to defend myself from illegal physical aggression, even from police.
I know the law. As a criminal defense attorney, these were the famous last words of my clients before they get arrested. Generally when someone says they know they law they don't. Unfortunately I have to agree with most people, while yes it is stupid, what is the point with arguing with customs just walk back and walk through it was take you all of 2 minutes, and you would be on your way. Instead you admittedly escalated it, and made a 2 minute delay a significantly longer one, which really stupid ramifications.

Even if you are in the right, it is a 2 minute walk really worth getting arrested over.
milski, HMPS, König and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:29 pm

I ducked under the rope of an empty switchback at a different airport recently. The agent there shouted at me "Sir! Please don't do that. Go through properly." I looked around and calmly pointed out that there was nobody else around. She explained that it was set up like that so that the cameras in the ceiling got lots of clear shots of everyone that passed through. Seemed like an acceptable reason, so I apologized. She smiled and said it was no problem, but don't do it again.

I'm not saying the situation is the same at DFW, but sometimes there are reasons for those switchbacks, and being polite to people who are doing their job instead of immediately demanding a supervisor can help defuse a situation.
tfred, HMPS, Gino Troian and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If more people stood up, we would have a lot less problems in the world.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - both of you and the CBP agents were wrong.

Yes - the CBP Officer should not become the king of the world asking you to go back and forth. It is plainly stupid. But at the same time, you used a cellphone in a prohibited area, or otherwise allowed.

Bottom line - 2 guys (assuming all males) with strong ego made a power play at the wrong place and the wrong time.

The show is over. Now move on.
König and thebakaronis like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.