Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA slowdown / sickout

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The TSA worker quoted in this article doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed:

As for the president’s concern over a border wall, Harris believes it is misguided.

“Yes, we need border security, but you’re missing out on the security of other things,” Harris said. “All our services are not running so some things are not being checked like they should be.”

On Monday, a weapon somehow got through airport security in Atlanta onto a Delta flight. Harris said he is not surprised and is worried that could happen here.

“So far, God bless, nothing has happened,” Harris said. “but there’s no telling when somebody with ill intentions may try something or sneak something on board and we don’t have the personnel to catch it. At least, not right now.”
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Iberia Plus, Flying Blue, Delta Skymiles, Priority Club
I think this is great news. Great news TSA employees will be paid ASAP and that they'll get a bonus for their efforts now.
On the other hand, from my experience as a private businessperson, not getting paid on time, patiently waiting for months to collect payment, is part and parcel of contracting for government agencies. Dear TSA workers, welcome to the real world.
Besides, this is a fantastic opportunity for the Federal Government to audit and metric the efficiency of TSA in preventing terror attacks in airplanes and airports and then down-size accordingly.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:27 am

I read today that many never got the $500 bonus or just got a small portion.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I read today that many never got the $500 bonus or just got a small portion.
Taxes.

edit to add: I wonder who was pull off furlough to come in and cut payments? Seems odd that the Administrator has the authority change workers status.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I want to be sure I fully understand, there should be no surprise to TSA workers that TSA screeners are considered essential employees and sign documents to that effect acknowledging they cannot enter into any form of strike or walkout? Is that correct?

I'm happy the people in your community are supporting you guys.
If I am not mistaken, any sworn federal position that is deemed essential/emergency personnel have to acknowledge the strike walk-out clause - I know that it has been explained to me many times as part of official communications/training. This has been the case (admittedly with a much lower profile) since Taft-Hartley. It is a part of your intake as an employee, the explanation of what it means to be designated essential employees.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Trying to stay away from going OMNI, no one ever anticipated a government shutdown driven by an individual -------------------------------- (fill in the blanks). If all TSA/ATC/FAA inspectors walked off the job, there is no way they could all be fired and replaced.

That's very nice that the community has come together to support you - but what about the family at home? Feeding individual screeners doesn't do much to help feed their kids and spouses.
Sure there is, the President can institute a National Security Emergency, roust the National Guard and Military services and place them into the situations to augment any that didn't walk out, some of the military members are already certified on the same equipment we use. The same thing that Reagan did with the Air Traffic Controllers. It would be a short term answer to the immediate problem, and then the path they walk afterwards becomes a bit more difficult, but the immediate solution is an easy one.

There are also food banks in the area that have opened their doors to furloughed employees (not just TSA), and that helps some families with no strings attached, and without violating any applicable regulations pertaining to gifts. I anticipate that if we go past another pay period without pay, that the level of support from those organizations will increase. Many local Churches have been helping out families as well, and not just their congregation, any of the people that are in need have been helped.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Since you're describing the document, I think we can assume that it's not SSI, so could you answer me this - does the explanation of the designation emergency/essential employee position include an explicit statement that such personnel will be required to work with delayed pay during a partial government shutdown?

Keeping the screener force working at full strength during a shutdown is certainly a point in favor of privatization, since contractors typically invoice the government at 30 or 45 day intervals, rather than the 15-day intervals of the federal pay cycle. Contractors are set up to get their money from the gubment with longer lag times than individual federal employees.

Still, a long shutdown can still screw up the budget of a contractor if the shutdown happens to intersect with a scheduled invoice date and delays the invoice.

There are other factors to consider when discussing privatization, too. I'm on the fence about it myself.
I can not recall the exact wording, but that point was explained a few times too, first at my intake to the organization, intermittently since then, and consistently as shutdowns happened in the past.

*Disclaimer - the last time I signed an official form on this was probably over 10 years ago, as part of a yearly form festival we used to have to do. I have heard this consistently from my management, and it is my understanding that the explanation is still a part of the intake process. There has also been tons of direct communication from HQ with the prohibitions on strikes, and I have even heard local AFGE shop stewards warning their members against strike talk/actions.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 17, 2019 at 6:07 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I can not recall the exact wording, but that point was explained a few times too, first at my intake to the organization, intermittently since then, and consistently as shutdowns happened in the past.

*Disclaimer - the last time I signed an official form on this was probably over 10 years ago, as part of a yearly form festival we used to have to do. I have heard this consistently from my management, and it is my understanding that the explanation is still a part of the intake process. There has also been tons of direct communication from HQ with the prohibitions on strikes, and I have even heard local AFGE shop stewards warning their members against strike talk/actions.
Just curious, but is a LTSO rank and file or considered management? I don't know where the dividing point is in the TSA hierarchy but I'm guessing at TSM.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:45 am

Taxes.

edit to add: I wonder who was pull off furlough to come in and cut payments? Seems odd that the Administrator has the authority change workers status.
Here's one article on the subject: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...nment-shutdown
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absenteeism is still running high at the nations airports.

Absences Still High as TSA Predicts Airport Holiday Travel Crush

But I have seen statements from TSA several times now saying something along the lines of "While 99.7 percent of travelers waited less than 30 minutes in screening lines, three airports recorded maximum waits exceeding that time on Thursday. In Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson, passengers waited as long as 47 minutes, the TSA said. "

When did a wait of 30 minutes become the acceptable? I would consider 30 minutes about 28 minutes too long.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Airport list of delays

Is there a single post or thread that simply has a list of airports where slowdowns have been noticed? If not, please use this one to post just the information without discussion -

Airport - date - time of day - wait time (regular or precheck)

I will monitor and try to keep in alphabetical and time/date order post at the top of the thread.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Is there a single post or thread that simply has a list of airports where slowdowns have been noticed? If not, please use this one to post just the information without discussion -

Airport - date - time of day - wait time (regular or precheck)

I will monitor and try to keep in alphabetical and time/date order post at the top of the thread.
We have an informational thread in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum:
Please feel free to start a wikipost there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/...sive-callouts/

BWI closed Checkpoint A a couple of hours early last night due to excessive TSA call-outs. No word on whether this was a one-off or is anticipated to be a regular thing, but it seems to me that the problem can only get worse as the shutdown continues.

Things are looking pretty bad all over the US for the next few days, as a large snowstorm is moving through the country and has already caused several thousand flight cancellations. Once things get moving again, I would think the backlog of stranded travelers will cause a spike in the number of people presenting themselves for screening, and with TSA short-handed due to these call-outs, that will probably cause longer lines at the remaining checkpoints.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass

TSA calls in backup officers as absences of unpaid airport screeners rise

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/20/tsa-...kers-rise.html
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the various news reports one could think the funding lapse only affects TSA screeners. Very little heard from the other 750,000 federal workers who are in the same boat as TSA employees.

I'm not unsympathetic to all federal employees caught up in this political spat and think they could find a court wiling to rule that they do not have to report for work if unpaid. That would at least relieve the legal jeopardy of calling out sick.

I wonder how much longer this can go on before some truly critical groups, like federal prison guards or other federal LEO's, decide they can no longer tolerate having their lives in constant turmoil and call it quits?

I think another week or so and things are going to deteriorate badly at TSA and other agencies. That's when the public will really feel the impact!
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:14 pm

I wonder how much longer this can go on before some truly critical groups, like federal prison guards or other federal LEO's, decide they can no longer tolerate having their lives in constant turmoil and call it quits?
Do we know that other agencies aren't seeing the same increasing absenteeism and employee loss as TSA?

Aside from the Post Office, the only Federal employees I interact with frequently are TSOs. I wouldn't notice quickly if Correctional Officers or ATF Special Agents started calling in sick.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
From the various news reports one could think the funding lapse only affects TSA screeners. Very little heard from the other 750,000 federal workers who are in the same boat as TSA employees.

I'm not unsympathetic to all federal employees caught up in this political spat and think they could find a court wiling to rule that they do not have to report for work if unpaid. That would at least relieve the legal jeopardy of calling out sick.

I think another week or so and things are going to deteriorate badly at TSA and other agencies. That's when the public will really feel the impact!
There are also lots of news stories about the Secret Service and FBI being hit by the shutdown. But their absentee rates aren’t at 8%. But they also get paid more than the average TSA employee and are more likely to have deeper family financial means to tap than lower wage and lower net worth TSA employees.

There are even some news stories about federal government contractors being hit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.