Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA slowdown / sickout

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
A strike or organized walk out/sick out, would be against the forms we sign when we are first hired (it is an explicit explanation of the designation emergency/essential employee position). This explanation indicates that participating in a strike or any form of organized walk out, will result in punitive action up to and including dismissal. This is a consistent explanation throughout a persons tenure with TSA, we have consistent reaffirmations, and classes that re-emphasize this point. A strike would result in 2 things, people like myself facing the coworkers that strike on the way into work every day, and those coworkers most likely becoming former coworkers. The current administration does not strike me as a group that would take this kind of a walk-out and be willing to let it go very easily.

I think the most likely scenario if we continue to go without pay, is that you will see a gradual lessening of the reporting staff not due to any kind of organized strike, but due to simply not having any money. Most folks can absorb a couple of paychecks in a situation like this without major ramifications. There comes a point (and it is different for each person) where they are simply not going to be able to make it to work because they do not have gas/transit money, or they are going to have to do some other job in order to meet their basic bills. This first paycheck, a lot of lenders are being magnanimous and allowing a grace period of an extra month, following paychecks, most lenders and landlords are not going to be as forgiving or patient.

Also on a local level, I have been absolutely stunned by the response from the general public. We have 1-3 passengers thanking us for continuing to work during this time, and how nice we have been even in the face of a challenging situation. We have had anonymous folks drop off pizza, BBQ, and other prepared food for the entire workforce. Some of our Sr Leadership has gotten together to provide a potluck type of dinner for the workforce at their own cost. It has been very humbling.
I want to be sure I fully understand, there should be no surprise to TSA workers that TSA screeners are considered essential employees and sign documents to that effect acknowledging they cannot enter into any form of strike or walkout? Is that correct?

I'm happy the people in your community are supporting you guys.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:07 am

CLE PreCheck Experience

Sick out/Blue Flu was actually not bad...

7 min PreCheck wait
1 doc checker
1 lane open

6 TSA representatives

NO barker
No staff for BS secondary searches.

“Quite tranquil.”
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
An opinion piece in The New York Times:
It’s Time for T.S.A. Workers to Strike (Permalink - no pay wall)

A strike by T.S.A. agents, as federal workers, would be illegal, as was the wave of public-sector strikes in the 1960s and ’70s. But this time is different, said Michael M. Oswalt, an associate professor of law at Northern Illinois University College of Law, who studies federal labor relations. “A strike over involuntary work would raise not just novel legal issues but important and unprecedented questions about the value of public service and middle-class employment in our country,” he said.

The moral foundation for a strike is unquestionably firm. The federal government has broken its contract with its employees — locking some of them out of their workplaces and expecting others to work for the mere promise of eventual pay. An even more profound principle is also at stake, namely the ban on slavery and involuntary servitude embodied in the 13th Amendment to the Constitution.

So what holds federal workers and their unions back from taking more dramatic and collective action?

Partly, it is the ghost of Patco. In 1981, the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization struck over wages and working conditions, prompting President Ronald Reagan to fire 11,000 highly skilled workers, replacing them with military personnel. Patco was destroyed and unions in general retreated into a defensive crouch. Who wants to risk something like that again?

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
An opinion piece in The New York Times:
It’s Time for T.S.A. Workers to Strike (Permalink - no pay wall)

An interesting article but folks might want to review the backgrounds of the authors in an effort to better understand their point of view.
Ysitincoach and gsoltso like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:45 am

Tuesday callout rate was 6.1% vs 3.7% in 2018
Monday callout rate was 6.8% vs 2.5% in 2018
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:47 am

A strike or organized walk out/sick out, would be against the forms we sign when we are first hired (it is an explicit explanation of the designation emergency/essential employee position). This explanation indicates that participating in a strike or any form of organized walk out, will result in punitive action up to and including dismissal. This is a consistent explanation throughout a persons tenure with TSA, we have consistent reaffirmations, and classes that re-emphasize this point. A strike would result in 2 things, people like myself facing the coworkers that strike on the way into work every day, and those coworkers most likely becoming former coworkers. The current administration does not strike me as a group that would take this kind of a walk-out and be willing to let it go very easily.

I think the most likely scenario if we continue to go without pay, is that you will see a gradual lessening of the reporting staff not due to any kind of organized strike, but due to simply not having any money. Most folks can absorb a couple of paychecks in a situation like this without major ramifications. There comes a point (and it is different for each person) where they are simply not going to be able to make it to work because they do not have gas/transit money, or they are going to have to do some other job in order to meet their basic bills. This first paycheck, a lot of lenders are being magnanimous and allowing a grace period of an extra month, following paychecks, most lenders and landlords are not going to be as forgiving or patient.

Also on a local level, I have been absolutely stunned by the response from the general public. We have 1-3 passengers thanking us for continuing to work during this time, and how nice we have been even in the face of a challenging situation. We have had anonymous folks drop off pizza, BBQ, and other prepared food for the entire workforce. Some of our Sr Leadership has gotten together to provide a potluck type of dinner for the workforce at their own cost. It has been very humbling.
Trying to stay away from going OMNI, no one ever anticipated a government shutdown driven by an individual -------------------------------- (fill in the blanks). If all TSA/ATC/FAA inspectors walked off the job, there is no way they could all be fired and replaced.

That's very nice that the community has come together to support you - but what about the family at home? Feeding individual screeners doesn't do much to help feed their kids and spouses.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:40 am

Appreciate the good read of the NYT link, but the authors miss a critical point. It’s not that TSA isn’t being paid, it’s that their paychecks are being delayed.

Ask any freelancer what that’s like.

I think long term, if they had an organized movement similar to what the article suggests, you’ll just see airport directors and airport authorities move to more privatization efforts.

ATL was pushing privatization during the summer of TSA admins begging for more funding as they slowed lines nationwide. There’s a stronger argument for privatization now.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

Since you're describing the document, I think we can assume that it's not SSI, so could you answer me this - does the explanation of the designation emergency/essential employee position include an explicit statement that such personnel will be required to work with delayed pay during a partial government shutdown?

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Appreciate the good read of the NYT link, but the authors miss a critical point. It’s not that TSA isn’t being paid, it’s that their paychecks are being delayed.

Ask any freelancer what that’s like.

I think long term, if they had an organized movement similar to what the article suggests, you’ll just see airport directors and airport authorities move to more privatization efforts.

ATL was pushing privatization during the summer of TSA admins begging for more funding as they slowed lines nationwide. There’s a stronger argument for privatization now.
Keeping the screener force working at full strength during a shutdown is certainly a point in favor of privatization, since contractors typically invoice the government at 30 or 45 day intervals, rather than the 15-day intervals of the federal pay cycle. Contractors are set up to get their money from the gubment with longer lag times than individual federal employees.

Still, a long shutdown can still screw up the budget of a contractor if the shutdown happens to intersect with a scheduled invoice date and delays the invoice.

There are other factors to consider when discussing privatization, too. I'm on the fence about it myself.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Yep -- I also have zero sympathy for a federal employee, especially a TSA clerk, who is in an "essential" job and has to report to work without pay during a shutdown. Suck it up and do the job you swore an oath to perform with the best of your abilities. This phrase comes to mind:

If you can't do this...quit. The TSA clerkforce and leadership have amazingly short memories. They obviously have forgotten about the Great Shutdown of October 2013.
The longest government shutdown prior was 18 days, or one pay check delayed. If it drags on for much longer and several paychecks are delayed then you can't blame them for not being prepared for something that has never happened before. Eventually they will quit and do something else to feed their families.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m.y
The longest government shutdown prior was 18 days, or one pay check delayed. If it drags on for much longer and several paychecks are delayed then you can't blame them for not being prepared for something that has never happened before. Eventually they will quit and do something else to feed their families.
I encourage every TSA screener who cannot meet their commitments to resign right away.

edit to add:

Some Justice Department employees I know who are working without a paycheck are filing for Unemployment Benefits and getting approved. Might be an avenue that TSA screeners should investigate.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 16, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
I completed a contract gig but haven't started my new one yet, and was surprised that I am eligible for unemployment, so I filed last week. There were several paragraphs of instructions in the application specifically for federal workers who are not able to work currently due to the shutdown. They will get into "the system" in about 1 week and then begin receiving weekly unemployment checks. When/if they are paid for that time, they will have to reimburse the state. IIRC, the minimum weekly payment is just under $200 per week, and the max is about $750.

And congratulations, GSOLTSO - your community appreciates you. I would bet that in a small airport like GSO many of the passengers are personally acquainted with the TSA staff and are showing you their support. If your families were hungry, they would probably bring extra for y'all to take home.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Since you're describing the document, I think we can assume that it's not SSI, so could you answer me this - does the explanation of the designation emergency/essential employee position include an explicit statement that such personnel will be required to work with delayed pay during a partial government shutdown?

Keeping the screener force working at full strength during a shutdown is certainly a point in favor of privatization, since contractors typically invoice the government at 30 or 45 day intervals, rather than the 15-day intervals of the federal pay cycle. Contractors are set up to get their money from the gubment with longer lag times than individual federal employees.

Still, a long shutdown can still screw up the budget of a contractor if the shutdown happens to intersect with a scheduled invoice date and delays the invoice.

There are other factors to consider when discussing privatization, too. I'm on the fence about it myself.
With full privatization of the airport screening, local airport owners/operators could way more easily pay for replacement screeners or pay already employeed screeners quickly and more directly for continuing the work than having to endure a substantial workforce reduction that they don’t find to be in their commercial or political economic interests.

The current POTUS has just indicated that he’s fine with the current state of affairs continuing for a long time. It seems like those still in support of federalized workforce for routine airport security screenings
at US airports are going to have a chance to realize what the economic risk was of federalizing the screener role.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m.y
Back in 2013, many of us of who were retirement-eligible found out that you can’t retire or quit during a shut down because the HR, OPM and other support staff are also furloughed.

I doubt anyone keeps theae kinds of records, but it would be very interesting to find out if there is a massive wave of retirements and resignations in the first few weeks after the government reopens. I won’t get into OMNI-land, but I will just post the speculation here.

I’m not sure we will see a mass exodus from the TSA because, as incredible as it sounds, they have been around long enough now that many of them are too close to federal retirement to simply quit and throw it all away. I will further speculate that those not showing up are the younger and less-tenured employees who don’t have much to lose.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Jan 17, 2019 at 6:50 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

Back in 2013, many of us of who were retirement-eligible found out that you can’t retire or quit during a shut down because the HR, OPM and other support staff are also furloughed.

I doubt anyone keeps theae kinds of records, but it would be very interesting to find out if there is a massive wave of retirements and resignations in the first few weeks after the government reopens. I won’t get into OMNI-land, but I will just post the speculation here.

I’m not sure we will see a mass exodus from the TSA because, as incredible as it sounds, they have been around long enough now that many of them are too close to federal retirement to simply quit and throw it all away. I will further speculate that those not showing up are the younger and less-tenured employees who don’t have much to lose.
I would further speculate that many of those calling out sick are not thinking about any bigger picture - they are almost certainly part of any organized sick-out - but they are preceding from a very simple logical thought process:
1) I ain't gettin' paid
2) I don't like my job
3) They don't appreciate me, anyway
4) Screw 'em, I'm stayin' home 'til they start payin' me

I doubt that many of those calling out sick actually took additional jobs in the first two or three weeks of the shutdown. As the deadline for missing a paycheck got closer and closer, more and more of them probably saw the writing on the wall and went looking for additional income, but I think that most of the out-sickers simply waited and held their breath, hoping that the 535 children in DC would settle their tiff and get the gubmint back to work. Once that first paycheck was missed, I imagine that many more of them started looking for side jobs or other sources of additional income.

We'll probably never know for sure, though. Those who called out sick during the shutdown when they weren't actually sick will never admit it, or they risk disciplinary action.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:26 am

“All our services are not running so some things are not being checked like they should be.”
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ment-shutdown/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.