Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2006: war on water. 2018: war on powder

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by txrus
Personally, I think this has less to do w/trying to do the DEA's job for them & everything to do w/trying to bring down their Red Team failure rate.
yes to the first and no to the second. The way the "red" team tests are done this may actually end up increasing failure rates....

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If TSA is looking for Fentanyl I doubt they will find it. Just tiny amounts of the drug are deadly.

FAQ’s-Fentanyl and Fentanyl-Related Substances]

I honestly don't think TSA screeners are qualified to conduct such searches and cannot be trained to conduct such searches if looking for drugs was part of their approved area of search.

There is something more going on here and TSA is once again leading the charge on Civil Liberty violations.
Not only are they not trained but they are not properly equipped to deal with fentanyl they might stumble across - a TSO that finds it will probably OD on it. Has happened too many times already that local cops have overdosed on it not realizing what it is they have come across during searches.

and yes, there is more going on here....

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 21, 2018 at 3:22 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSO to pax: What's the Cruex powder for

Pax <your answer here>
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
yes to the first and no to the second. The way the "red" team tests are done this may actually end up increasing failure rates....

Not only are they not trained but they are not properly equipped to deal with fentanyl they might stumble across - a TSO that finds it will probably OD on it. Has happened too many times already that local cops have overdosed on it not realizing what it is they have come across during searches.

and yes, there is more going on here....

Well some aspects of this don't sound so bad.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
In this article, it states that "The main security concern is from improvised explosives, but TSA is also concerned about fentanyl or pepper spray in the cabin." But, but but but, TSA is not supposed to be searching for drugs. And pepper spray is in aerosol form and aerosols are strictly forbidden in carry-on bags.
Yep -- this is the first time that the TSA has been able to contrive a connection between the War on Terror and the War on Drugs. I'll bet they throw out the thermonuclear bath powder in the same checkpoint container as the thermonuclear shampoo and thermonuclear dihydrogen monoxide.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
First they came for my Gold Bond powder, and I said nothing. Then they came for me.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Yep -- this is the first time that the TSA has been able to contrive a connection between the War on Terror and the War on Drugs. I'll bet they throw out the thermonuclear bath powder in the same checkpoint container as the thermonuclear shampoo and thermonuclear dihydrogen monoxide.
Well the threat of one of these should strike fear in the heart of a TSA screener.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jun 22, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to The New York Times, "this is not a ban, powders in amounts greater than 350 milliliters will be subject to extra scrutiny. If screeners can’t be sure they are safe, travelers will be told to discard or check them."
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TWA884
According to The New York Times, "this is not a ban, powders in amounts greater than 350 milliliters will be subject to extra scrutiny. If screeners can’t be sure they are safe, travelers will be told to discard or check them."
A discretionary war on powders, harmless or otherwise.

I wouldn’t bet against this TSA war on powders also being used to facilitate the war on drugs too.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by TWA884
Unless you're going to Australia, then it's a hard ban.

Curiously, Australian media are reporting that the driver for this was the failed attempt to bomb an EY plane from SYD-AUH. It failed because they couldn't get their improvised explosive past airline checkin.

So, I guess the key takeaway here is we should just fire all the security agents, and hand the baggage dragons responsibility for bag security?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:20 am

I carry a 6 ounce powder bottle all the time, and 95% of the time they pull it and do a chemical test on it, even though 6 oz is under the allowed limits. I just keep it out everytime now as I assume they're going to test. It seems like TSA has no idea about their actual powder policy and what to do with it.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by alchemista
I carry a 6 ounce powder bottle all the time, and 95% of the time they pull it and do a chemical test on it, even though 6 oz is under the allowed limits. I just keep it out everytime now as I assume they're going to test. It seems like TSA has no idea about their actual powder policy and what to do with it.
Do they open the power? What if that powder was fentanyl?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:26 pm

Reminds me of the Bryn Mawr student trying to board a plane who had flour packed inside a condom, used to squeeze during finals as a stress buster.
Tested positive for cocaine and heroin. She did about 20 days in jail. Everyone later wondered how flour tested positive for both substances, and why it didn't rouse suspicion when it did...drug dealers are generally not gonna mix drugs together like that.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
In this article, it states that "The main security concern is from improvised explosives, but TSA is also concerned about fentanyl or pepper spray in the cabin." But, but but but, TSA is not supposed to be searching for drugs. And pepper spray is in aerosol form and aerosols are strictly forbidden in carry-on bags.
Does TSA have any clue? Don't answer, that was sarcasm. They want to keep fentanyl off planes? If they open a container of real fentanyl to swab for explosives, good chance the TSO will poison himself.

Here is a picture of a lethal human dose of fentanyl. When every passenger and carry on is examined so this cannot get on a plane, how long will security lines be?

petaluma1, Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yandosan
Reminds me of the Bryn Mawr student trying to board a plane who had flour packed inside a condom, used to squeeze during finals as a stress buster.
Tested positive for cocaine and heroin. She did about 20 days in jail. Everyone later wondered how flour tested positive for both substances, and why it didn't rouse suspicion when it did...drug dealers are generally not gonna mix drugs together like that.
All's well that ends well. Her lawsuit paid for grad school. Of course, the city admitted no wrong-doing and the TSA never had to admit searching for drugs.
84fiero likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Are they allowed to bring large bottled water? Can they go through at security again? Did they relaxed with a restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.