Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New Screening Measures and "Interviews" for Passengers on US Bound Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Screening Measures and "Interviews" for Passengers on US Bound Flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Would you rather they did nothing, I agree as I fly weekly and internationally I see many incidents of idiotic security and for every new initiative for every new emerging threat find the loop holes worrisome as a flyer, but roll with it.

You see "The Foreigner" yet
You do realize that nothing DHS or TSA has ever done since their creation has done anything to improve air security in any way whatsoever don't you?
Spiff, iluv2fly and Xyzzy like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Well, I flew SIN-HKG that day on UA but there wasn't any additional questions/issues. Probably because it was inter-Asia. I would have thought that since it is a USA carrier that they would do something.

However, I then flew HKG-ORD. When I arrived at the gate for boarding, the UA agent asked me two questions while waiting in line:

Did you pack your bag?
Did anyone give you anything?

Having answered no, she then said that now a security agent needs to ask you some additional questions.

Security agent comes and asks:

Why are you going to ORD? (I live there)
How long were you in HKG? (Two hours)

No looking in bag or anything physical with me.

He then puts a purple security sticker on my passport and tells me not to remove it. Ironically, after he put it on, nobody asked to see it.

I felt so much safer!
doing a 3 hour air side turn in SIN. Status match run . Will report how it went in 2 days. (Have been to SIN before longer and shorter turns, but kind of nervous this time)
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I flew from Khabarovsk to Seoul to LAX on Asiana last week. Same ticket. 5 hour transit in Seoul. No questions.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Week ago in Hong Kong waiting for AA192 to lax. I'm at the gate about 45 minutes early. Agents are at their counters but not many passengers here yet. I'm just wandering around and stopped to look at the screen. Young guy in some kind of uniform strikes up a conversation. I'm thinking he wants to practice his English since it could use a little work. Don't make much of his questions, ususal sort of travel stuff but they start to get a little detailed, then out of the blue he says "Can I see your passport?". I give him a strong NO" and walk away. Thought it was pretty weird and noticed he continued to "patrol" the gate area, periodically going back and taliking with the gate agents. Eventually decided he was some kind of security but didnt make a connection until seeing some of the new posts here.
Gotta say it kind of creeped me out and looks like a fertile area for all sorts of problems. I'll transit HKG on CX again at Thanksgiving on the way to BKK. Should be interesting.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by IntlRabbit
Week ago in Hong Kong waiting for AA 192 to lax. I'm at the gate about 45 minutes early. Agents are at their counters but not many passengers here yet. I'm just wandering around and stopped to look at the screen.
But other than the bag search on the jet bridge, there were no additional questions upon check-in or before boarding, right?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:55 pm

Another datapoint: I just flew ARN -> HEL -> JFK with Finnair. There were no extra questions at check-in at ARN (or indeed any questions about my luggage) nor at the gate at HEL. At security screening at ARN I had to take my laptop and iPad out of my carry-on and into a single bin for them both. There was no extra screening at HEL as other EU airports are deemed secure.

I did see one person being selected for extra security at the gate at HEL by being directed to a screened-off area by the gate but that was it.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:25 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Flew BEG-JFK on 28 Oct, business class. The line for the gate was horrendous. Was told to go to the gate at 12:15 but actually showed up at 11:55 and the line was a half hour long and getting longer. Only 2 people manning the gate. There was a line dedicated for business class but not enforced. Because the line was so long I thought that this was due to new security and expected to be asked a lot of questions. Nope. No questions at all. Can't imagine why they took so long to look at passports and cross us off of a list. Got the usual SSSS though. Security was polite, unlike at JFK on the return.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:45 am

The procedure in HKG for US bound flights seem to include asking what are you doing in the US, and the agent also insists on seeing an itinerary for the return flight (who needs those these days...).

The annoying part is they then affix a poorly made sticker on the back of my passport (to be kept until after boarding). Now I'd imagine for people traveling often this would mean accumulating damage to your passport every time you fly.

Pure nonsense.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by GalaxyNexus
The procedure in HKG for US bound flights seem to include asking what are you doing in the US, and the agent also insists on seeing an itinerary for the return flight (who needs those these days...).

The annoying part is they then affix a poorly made sticker on the back of my passport (to be kept until after boarding). Now I'd imagine for people traveling often this would mean accumulating damage to your passport every time you fly.

Pure nonsense.
Are you US citizen flying to US from HKG on US passport?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: QFF

Pure nonsense.
That's one of the reasons (the stupid pointless stickers) why I stopped flying west bound across the Atlantic.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
No interview at NRT today on NH, though I did get SSSS.

If if you have to get SSSS, guess japan is the place to do it.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: RFC

Pure nonsense.
And, in the UK, illegal. You're not allowed to alter (or deface, for that matter) a passport in the UK unless you are a warranted border officer. ICTS are breaking the law every time they put a sticker on the passport.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:47 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
And, in the UK, illegal. You're not allowed to alter (or deface, for that matter) a passport in the UK unless you are a warranted border officer. ICTS are breaking the law every time they put a sticker on the passport.
Putting the sticker on pax forehead (instead of pp) should stay within the law.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Interesting. Can you reference the actual statute on this?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
You mean like this?

AMS Schiphol airport tags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.