Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA dispenses inaccurate and misleading information on the @AskTSA twitter feed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA dispenses inaccurate and misleading information on the @AskTSA twitter feed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I can't castigate TSA for their choice of the term "our team", since technically contract employees are still part of the overall team.

Off course, if Covenant does something wrong and TSA throws them under the bus, I can certainly castigate them for that - they're part of your team, TSA, and you're responsible for their oversight.

But this tweet? Meh.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I can't castigate TSA for their choice of the term "our team", since technically contract employees are still part of the overall team.

Off course, if Covenant does something wrong and TSA throws them under the bus, I can certainly castigate them for that - they're part of your team, TSA, and you're responsible for their oversight.

But this tweet? Meh.
Sorry. I totally disagree. TSA should have given Covenant praise by name rather than to mislead the OP.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Sorry. I totally disagree. TSA should have given Covenant praise by name rather than to mislead the OP.
I don’t know DHS internal policies but I was a senior program manager for a Federal agency with a number of companies working for me and my junior program managers. Policy was to consider contractors as team members and to not call out their company especially outside of the office. They worked for us and what company they were employed by was not relevant. We considered that approach part of our “One Team” concept made up of uniformed service members, Federal civil servants, and contractor support. We also felt that naming the companies outside of situations where it was necessary and called for would look like we were publicly endorsing a company which is a prohibited practice for most Federal agencies.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47

I don’t know DHS internal policies but I was a senior program manager for a Federal agency with a number of companies working for me and my junior program managers. Policy was to consider contractors as team members and to not call out their company especially outside of the office. They worked for us and what company they were employed by was not relevant. We considered that approach part of our “One Team” concept made up of uniformed service members, Federal civil servants, and contractor support. We also felt that naming the companies outside of situations where it was necessary and called for would look like we were publicly endorsing a company which is a prohibited practice for most Federal agencies.
How much input does TSA have in determining which private company is hired to take over screening at an airport? I am sure they have some input but it is basically the airport that hires the company to replace TSA screeners. (IIRC, TSA tried to deny airports the right to hire a private screening company until there was so much pressure TSA had to rescind.)

Private screening companies are not contractors in the sense you describe and as such, TSA should not be taking credit when the work of a private screening company is praised by a traveler.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
How much input does TSA have in determining which private company is hired to take over screening at an airport? I am sure they have some input but it is basically the airport that hires the company to replace TSA screeners. (IIRC, TSA tried to deny airports the right to hire a private screening company until there was so much pressure TSA had to rescind.)

Private screening companies are not contractors in the sense you describe and as such, TSA should not be taking credit when the work of a private screening company is praised by a traveler.
It is a government contract so components within DHS makes the final selection decision. That could be TSA itself but I am not familiar with all of the various offices within the DHS. After a contract is let there would be government employees present in the airport who are responsible for monitoring the company for contract compliance.

Bottom line to me is if the contracting company walks like a TSA duck, Quacks like a TSA duck, its probably safe to call them part of the TSA team, or in my opinion I would say part of the TSA problem.
Randyk47 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.