Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement for speaking your name?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
If that's the case, maybe they should require you to fart in their general direction as well.

You might get busted for trying to get 'artfully concealed' hazardous gas into the sterile area.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by chollie

You might get busted for trying to get 'artfully concealed' hazardous gas into the sterile area.
No way! The rules state that passengers are to relinquish all liquids, gels, and AEROSOLS...unless they are in a 1 quart Ziploc baggie!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:45 am

[Ebay] is now being overrun by sellers offering up plastic bags full of air allegedly captured at [Kanye] West's concerts.

The gag started Friday when one ambitious seller attempted to sell a Zipperseal bag with "Air From Kanye Show," with 90 bidders driving the price tag to over $60,000

So what do you think happens if I try to take three puffed-up air-filled resealable 'threat-neutralization baggies' labelled "Kanye West Concert Air"?

Do you think TSA will confiscate two of them because the rules say I'm only allowed one? Will I be guilty of 'artful concealment'? Will they be pictured on the next installment of 'look what we got'?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:07 pm

So what do you think happens if I try to take three puffed-up air-filled resealable 'threat-neutralization baggies' labelled "Kanye West Concert Air"?

Do you think TSA will confiscate two of them because the rules say I'm only allowed one? Will I be guilty of 'artful concealment'? Will they be pictured on the next installment of 'look what we got'?
LOL! IMHO, yes, yes, and yes!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mikeef
A) Hot Shots! Part Deux was an awesome movie.

B) Got the name game at pre-check at JFK today, terminal D. Seriously? I thought we were done with this crap.

Added bonus: pre-check line had 15-20 people in it but they were still sending non-pre-check customers through. Then, the TSO by the WTMD started complaining that customers didn't know the procedures and were holding up the lines.

Mike
Just an update: Tweeted on 3/12 and Ross said he would check. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Mike
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just an update: Tweeted on 3/12 and Ross said he would check. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Mike
Did you ask why he bailed on FT?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:47 pm

He directs most folks to file an online complaint, aka, 'digital trash can'.

He is not always accurate: he says TSA will always put a notification form in a searched bag - even one that they have stolen from or damaged contents in?

Besides, TSOs have widely posted over the years (in the internet generally) that when the forms run out or if they get busy, they keep on screening and do not put forms in the bags. Just like they cut locks if they don't want to be bothered with the keys.

But occasionally he seems to actually address an issue - like the pax who had a problem getting Pre because she had inadvertently put her husband's KTN in her reservation. That issue was handled the way they all should be handled.

One lucky pax asked about taking old arrowheads and sent a picture. She was told she could check them.

His answers really reveal the limitations of Pre: airports that don't have room for it, airports that shut it down randomly if it isn't 'busy' enough, airports that only staff it during certain hours or at certain (not necessarily convenient) checkpoints. If I were considering paying for Pre, based on my random travel patterns, I wouldn't based on his replies.

However...I haven't seen a tweet yet where he's been unprofessional, when he's wrong (love notes in baggage), I think he's repeating untruths that he actually believes, he doesn't insult people like Bob and others, and occasionally he actually addresses and resolves a specific problem.

We'll see what comes of his reponse to the name game. He specifically addressed this and asked to be notified, so I hope he does more than just re-direct the poster to the TSA trash can.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:48 pm

Mike
Did he actually say he'd check or did he direct you to the website no-response feedback form? He does, unfortunately, do that a lot.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Did you ask why he bailed on FT?
No, but I think we know the answer. He's clearly no dummy and realized quickly that there is only so much he can do or answer.

Did he actually say he'd check or did he direct you to the website no-response feedback form? He does, unfortunately, do that a lot.
The exact words were "I will check." I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean, but I haven't heard anything since.

I did link to the FT post where he discussed the issue, so hopefully, at least one or two more people see it.

Mike
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:45 pm

No, but I think we know the answer. He's clearly no dummy and realized quickly that there is only so much he can do or answer.

The exact words were "I will check." I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean, but I haven't heard anything since.

I did link to the FT post where he discussed the issue, so hopefully, at least one or two more people see it.

Mike
Well, IIRC, he did specifically ask us to let him know if this came up again. I am not aware of him making a similar request about anything else.

A lot (but not all) of the tweets are directed to a link. That link is just the feedback link that we all know never gets addressed. I know, because I've brought up medical nitro and aluminum tent poles many times without response.

So in this case, I think he really should respond, although I'll bet you $5 the response will be that any airport or checkpoint can, at any time, increase security measures. Nothing he can do about that, those are the rules.

Besides, Kippie couldn't get the screeners to stop barking and yelling, and he was the boss. He couldn't even do away with the LGA ban that he said was already unnecessary while he was still in charge.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mike
I think he got spanked by someone higher up the food chain for communicating with mere travelers.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
The return of 'say your name'

Just came thru FSD, PC lane, & ID checker making pax say their name because he 'has to make sure you match the ID'.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Will this work?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...s/n12816?snl=1
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txrus
Just came thru FSD, PC lane, & ID checker making pax say their name because he 'has to make sure you match the ID'.
Sounds like just another rogue clerk doing his job to protect America. This is troubling on two accounts:

1. There is nobody else at this airport with the leadership ability to tell this clerk to stop the silly name game; and,

2. This reasoning-challenged (PC for "idiot") clerk can actually keep you off your flight.

This conjures up all of our previous discussions about the name game. You have a right to pronounce your name as "John Smith", "Donald Trump", Hillary Clinton" or "Osama bin-Laden" and change the pronunciation as often as you like. This kind of thinking would make the Sioux Falls ID checker's head explode.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:43 am

All screeners have the 'final say' on what the rules are.

Seriously - for all we know, the TSO is actually doing exactly what his FSD or STSO told him to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.