Search

Plush Toy Snake Confiscated

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Plush Toy Snake Confiscated

<redacted by moderator>.

Child left 'heartbroken' after stuffed animal snake confiscated at Johannesburg airport

A five-year-old boy's stuffed animal snake was allegedly confiscated at the airport, leaving him "heartbroken," according to Fox News and South African newspaper The Times.

The plush snake, which was a recent birthday from his grandmother, was taken at Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport Friday.
I can't fathom any reason why a plush toy would be a security concern. Has airport security gone too far? I think it has and reform is needed.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 15, 2018 at 4:36 pm Reason: Disparaging gross generalization
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
<redacted by moderator>.

Child left 'heartbroken' after stuffed animal snake confiscated at Johannesburg airport

I can't fathom any reason why a plush toy would be a security concern. Has airport security gone too far? I think it has and reform is needed.
I guess they are implementing TSA zero tolerance, zero common sense standards. The python was a 'lifelike replica', just as scary as the 'lifelike replica' two-inch gun that TSA confiscated from a sock monkey.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 15, 2018 at 4:37 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I guess they are implementing TSA zero tolerance, zero common sense standards. The python was a 'lifelike replica', just as scary as the 'lifelike replica' two-inch gun that TSA confiscated from a sock monkey.
You mean like the report this morning that a TSA screener took a binky out of a baby's mouth?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
You mean like the report this morning that a TSA screener took a binky out of a baby's mouth?
Haven't seen that report. Have a source?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
That was a TDC making a perfectly reasonable request: the baby needed to remove the binky so it could clearly articulate its name for the TDC.

Because child-trafficking, you know.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:07 pm

Haven't seen that report. Have a source?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Maybe our TSA trained their TSA.

More than one complaint to @ASKTSA about genital grabbing and hands in pants by TSA screeners.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta, United
That does assume some training took place originally ...

As for the stuffed toy, ZA TSA needed something to stuff up their ...
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:38 am

Sounds like screeners in South Africa have the same cognitive burdens that Nico Melendez claimed TSA screeners have.

Melendez called it a streamlined procedure that reduces confusion and “lessens the cognitive burden for our officers.”
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The plush toy snake was not U.S. TSA. That's an important point. The little 2 inch toy gun attached to a toy figure was our TSA as well as the confiscation of a leather purse with an embossed leather work image of a pistol. There have been other cases of similar events.

And of course while anyone with a lick of common sense knows TSA confiscates things.TSA will claim they do not.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation

Folks,

This thread is about plush toys!

It is not about genitals, butt cracks, medications, disabled passengers, food items or drugs.

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 5, Stay on Topic, when posting in this thread and the Policy Debate forum in general.

Also be mindful of this forum's guidelines against derisive gross generalizations of others, including TSA employees as a group.

Posts have been deleted.

Future posts in violation of the FlyerTalk Rules and/or the TSS Policy Debate forum guidelines will be summarily deleted. Repeat offenders will be subject to discipline pursuant to FlyerTalk Rule 23.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning!

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
gsoltso likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:02 pm

The plush toy snake was not U.S. TSA. That's an important point.
I think it's pretty clear that many overseas airports follow standards laid out by the TSA so that flights originating there are allowed into the US.

So, this could be TSA policy, it could be an overzealous attempt to mimic TSA behavior, or it could be unrelated. But, it would be consistent with TSA decisions that Arabic and mathematics writings are somehow more dangerous than other paper to decide that plush representations of venomous animals are banned from the secure area.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mauve
I think it's pretty clear that many overseas airports follow standards laid out by the TSA so that flights originating there are allowed into the US.

So, this could be TSA policy, it could be an overzealous attempt to mimic TSA behavior, or it could be unrelated. But, it would be consistent with TSA decisions that Arabic and mathematics writings are somehow more dangerous than other paper to decide that plush representations of venomous animals are banned from the secure area.
The airport where this happened is in South Africa. The flight originated and terminated wholly within South Africa. Any policies or procedures followed by screeners would be purely domestic.

I really don’t get how this incident has anything to do with TSA.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Folks,

This thread is about plush toys!

It is not about genitals, butt cracks, medications, disabled passengers, food items or drugs.

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 5, Stay on Topic, when posting in this thread and the Policy Debate forum in general.

Also be mindful of this forum's guidelines against derisive gross generalizations of others, including TSA employees as a group.

Posts have been deleted.

Future posts in violation of the FlyerTalk Rules and/or the TSS Policy Debate forum guidelines will be summarily deleted. Repeat offenders will be subject to discipline pursuant to FlyerTalk Rule 23.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning!

TWA884
I'll add firearms replicas to the above list.

Posts focused on replica weapons have been moved to a new thread.

TWA884

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 25, 2018 at 3:49 pm Reason: Add link to new thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.