Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long TSA Lines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 11:32 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by amejr999
I know precheck barcodes are digitally signed. Not sure about non-PC barcodes.
And the scanners do pull up the passengers' names and flight information.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm sure that we all have been following the news stories, congressional hearings, and other bits of info coming out about long lines and delays caused by TSA. But what has been the overall impact? I think the numbers are surprising and this is for just one airline.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0YH1KV
The same article goes on to say
American...wants TSA to create a senior internal role focused on traveler concerns, said AA's SVP for Customer Experience Kerry Philipovitch.

Philipovitch also recommended that TSA consider reinstating a risk-based screening program that it canceled last year because of high-profile lapses.

In the program, officers trained to detect irregular behavior would pull unsuspicious travelers randomly into "PreCheck" lanes that can process people faster, as they do not remove their shoes and other belongings.
While I am all for faster security, I did not pay for GE and PC so that my experience can be slowed down by people who are not well-versed in clearing security in an expedited manner (not all fall into that bucket, but a lot do). Besides, PC on the free just rubs me the wrong way when I shelled out for it.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techie
The same article goes on to say

While I am all for faster security, I did not pay for GE and PC so that my experience can be slowed down by people who are not well-versed in clearing security in an expedited manner (not all fall into that bucket, but a lot do). Besides, PC on the free just rubs me the wrong way when I shelled out for it.

No one should have to pay for Pre Check level screening. That should be the default screening entry point for everyone. Work alarms as needed.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
No one should have to pay for Pre Check level screening. That should be the default screening entry point for everyone. Work alarms as needed.
A lot of people wish for that to be reality. However, it is not. In the meantime, I'm against increasing queues at PC lane(s) with people treat it as if it is another normal security lane, especially when I paid for expedited screening.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by TWA884
And the scanners do pull up the passengers' names and flight information.
That information is in the barcode. None of the information TSA sees from scanning the barcode is something that would come from anything other then said barcode.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
With long (sometimes SUPER long) lines requiring 3 hour waits to take a 1 hour flight, airlines fleecing pax on items which used to be free, coupled with significantly lower gas prices than a year ago, the flying public may (particularly for short flights) STOP flying. [The whole system may have killed the goose that layed the golden egg.]
Old May 26, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Precheck was closed tonight at Denver. What the heck????

I asked the guard at normal security and he said that they closed around 8pm. He said they had to move the staff to the normal lines to accommodate for the late night rush as "more and more flights are going out at night now"

...there was about 40 people
In line with 5 guards and about 5 standing around.

I can't even use the service I paid for now
Old May 27, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by BThumme
Precheck was closed tonight at Denver. What the heck????

I asked the guard at normal security and he said that they closed around 8pm. He said they had to move the staff to the normal lines to accommodate for the late night rush as "more and more flights are going out at night now"

...there was about 40 people
In line with 5 guards and about 5 standing around.

I can't even use the service I paid for now

Yes, this infuriates me as well. There should be a precheck line going at all times whenever the checkpoint is open. Just because I prefer to fly late at night doesn't mean that my convenience and efficiency (which are the stated goals of the precheck in the first place) are any less important than someone who flies at 1:00 in the afternoon.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:12 am

Wrong thread

Last edited by petaluma1; May 27, 2016 at 8:27 am
Old May 27, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
Yes, this infuriates me as well. There should be a precheck line going at all times whenever the checkpoint is open. Just because I prefer to fly late at night doesn't mean that my convenience and efficiency (which are the stated goals of the precheck in the first place) are any less important than someone who flies at 1:00 in the afternoon.
Precheck isn't about you. It's about TSA being able to be more efficient. And if hardly anyone uses Precheck at that time of night it would be wasteful to have a line open just for precheck. Maybe not what they advertised to you, but that's the way they're describing it to the press/congress/the rest of the world.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I'm starting to check the pre-check hours as part of my decision on what time to fly now.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by televisor
Precheck isn't about you. It's about TSA being able to be more efficient. And if hardly anyone uses Precheck at that time of night it would be wasteful to have a line open just for precheck. Maybe not what they advertised to you, but that's the way they're describing it to the press/congress/the rest of the world.
<redacted by moderator>

The default security for all travelers at all hours of the day should be precheck.

I am a citizen, not a subject, and I don't care to be hassled and presumed to be a criminal by agents of my own government because they want to earn a paycheck with government bennies. I don't give a flying rip about what's efficient for TSA. I care about what's right for the passengers and being unnecessarily held up and delayed by someone with less than a high school education and an inferiority complex and who can't be fired isn't what's right for the passengers.

Last edited by TWA884; May 27, 2016 at 8:42 pm Reason: Better left for OMNI/PR
Old May 27, 2016, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The full Pre experience should be available at all airports, all the time, just as GE is always available.

That includes either a dedicated lane or front-of-line privileges to any shared lane.

Here's a hint, TSA: you don't even have to look beyond US borders to see how to properly handle expedited trusted travelers. You just need to look at how CBP runs GE.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
So if the reason all the other lines are long is because not enough people signed up for Pre, then how does closing the Pre line and putting those people that did sign up for Pre in the regular lines as well make the regular lines any shorter?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
<redacted by moderator>

The default security for all travelers at all hours of the day should be precheck.

I am a citizen, not a subject, and I don't care to be hassled and presumed to be a criminal by agents of my own government because they want to earn a paycheck with government bennies. I don't give a flying rip about what's efficient for TSA. I care about what's right for the passengers and being unnecessarily held up and delayed by someone with less than a high school education and an inferiority complex and who can't be fired isn't what's right for the passengers.
Not to get too much into the politics of your post... Opening a pre line takes away screeners from normal lines. Within the current system they close the pre-check line so they have those screeners available for an additional normal line, thus making screening faster on average for everyone else. Ie exactly what you want. Keeping a pre line open with only one user per 10 minutes slows all the normal citizens down.

Now fixing the system overall is a separate issue. If you're a citizen you're in the right place to try and fix it.

Last edited by TWA884; May 27, 2016 at 8:43 pm Reason: Conform to edit of quoted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.