FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA "continues to operate in disarray" with unvetted workers and lost credentials (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1744145-tsa-continues-operate-disarray-unvetted-workers-lost-credentials.html)

Epod Feb 4, 2016 4:57 pm

TSA "continues to operate in disarray" with unvetted workers and lost credentials

"Government oversight officials informed Congress on Wednesday that the Transportation Security Administration continues to operate in disarray, failing to record basic security details for thousands of employees and not tracking official IDs and badges that allow access to the most sensitive areas of an airport.

Lawmakers described the security agency as operating “in chaos” and expressed frustration with Obama administration officials as they informed the House Oversight Committee about a range of security shortfalls that continue to endanger the nation’s 450 commercial airports."
Full story here...

http://freebeacon.com/national-secur...nal-histories/

mikeef Feb 5, 2016 11:57 am

I think it would just be easier to assume that the TSA is in a continuous state of disarray and post something when it gets fixed.

Of course, then we'd have a very empty forum.

Mike

chollie Feb 5, 2016 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 26138619)
I think it would just be easier to assume that the TSA is in a continuous state of disarray and post something when it gets fixed.

Of course, then we'd have a very empty forum.

Mike

I've learned to live with the disarray that the government seems to have just noticed.

I don't care about disarray. I just want to be able to transit a US checkpoint the same way I transit checkpoints everywhere else in the world: no barking, no hands inside my pants, no fingers in my butt crack, no groin chops, no rifling my bag when it is out of my sight, no BS 'screener discretion' used to steal my nitro pills.

What next? TSA requires you to squat and cough before your scan or grope?

Boggie Dog Feb 5, 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 26138666)
I've learned to live with the disarray that the government seems to have just noticed.

I don't care about disarray. I just want to be able to transit a US checkpoint the same way I transit checkpoints everywhere else in the world: no barking, no hands inside my pants, no fingers in my butt crack, no groin chops, no rifling my bag when it is out of my sight, no BS 'screener discretion' used to steal my nitro pills.

What next? TSA requires you to squat and cough before your scan or grope?

http://www.bodyorificescanner.com/us...b-o-s-s-press/

Boss III chair!

DeafBlonde Feb 7, 2016 9:01 pm

Next Layer?

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 26140679)

WOW, just, WOW! Is this the next "layer" of security for airline passengers? :confused::eek:

Boggie Dog Feb 7, 2016 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde (Post 26149675)
WOW, just, WOW! Is this the next "layer" of security for airline passengers? :confused::eek:

While the chair is real I doubt that TSA would be allowed to use such a device. Customs on the other hand might find it very useful.

gingersnaps Feb 8, 2016 12:19 am

For those interested in the testimony mention on the freebeacon article, see House Oversight committee "Securing Our Skies: Oversight of Aviation Credentials"

gingersnaps Feb 8, 2016 12:23 am

Testimony of DHS Inspector General John Roth:

TSA does not recurrently vet airport workers’ criminal histories after they are initially cleared to work, but rely on individuals to self-report disqualifying crimes.”

From the Feb 3, 2016, testimony of TSA Deputy Assistant Administrator Darby LaJoye:

TSA recognizes the value of conducting more frequent, or recurrent, criminal checks on workers to identify cases where there has been subsequent criminal activity since the original application. To date, TSA ... does not have access to recurrent criminal checks as are available to law enforcement agencies.

Feb 4, 2016 statement of TSA Administrator Peter to foxnews:

“Right now we have 900,000 or so people that are badged in some level of access to airports across the nation,” Neffenger told Fox. “They are recurrently vetted – I mean, on a daily basis – against terrorist databases for any information that may indicate that they are people that we need to be concerned about.”

petaluma1 Feb 8, 2016 5:31 am

Originally Posted by gingersnaps (Post 26150121)
Testimony of DHS Inspector General John Roth:

TSA does not recurrently vet airport workers’ criminal histories after they are initially cleared to work, but rely on individuals to self-report disqualifying crimes.”

From the Feb 3, 2016, testimony of TSA Deputy Assistant Administrator Darby LaJoye:

TSA recognizes the value of conducting more frequent, or recurrent, criminal checks on workers to identify cases where there has been subsequent criminal activity since the original application. To date, TSA ... does not have access to recurrent criminal checks as are available to law enforcement agencies.

Feb 4, 2016 statement of TSA Administrator Peter to foxnews:

“Right now we have 900,000 or so people that are badged in some level of access to airports across the nation,” Neffenger told Fox. “They are recurrently vetted – I mean, on a daily basis – against terrorist databases for any information that may indicate that they are people that we need to be concerned about.”

Somebody's not telling the truth. Can we guess which one?

Boggie Dog Feb 8, 2016 8:32 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 26150667)
Somebody's not telling the truth. Can we guess which one?

Just more evidence of the disarray that TSA operates in. Even the TSA leadership (I cringe when I write that) can't get their stories straight.

KDS Feb 10, 2016 10:55 am

Some additional national attention to the TSA's inability to do its job:
http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/mi...security-abyss

eyecue Feb 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Misleading

The article blurs the line between TSA and all employees. The issue is with all other employees. There is a lot of buck passing on this issue. TSA runs their employees every 24 hours.

Boggie Dog Feb 10, 2016 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue (Post 26165851)
The article blurs the line between TSA and all employees. The issue is with all other employees. There is a lot of buck passing on this issue. TSA runs their employees every 24 hours.

What do you mean by "TSA runs their employees every 24 hours"?

I assume TSA does the 5 year background check cycle common to some other agencies.

petaluma1 Feb 11, 2016 5:54 am

Sure they do. :rolleyes: I guess you believe it because Neffenger said it.

FliesWay2Much Feb 11, 2016 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 26166128)
What do you mean by "TSA runs their employees every 24 hours"?

I assume TSA does the 5 year background check cycle common to some other agencies.

If I take a huge leap of faith and define "Runs their employees" as the equivalent of a cop "running" a warrant check during a traffic stop, the TSA would be essentially doing ~60,000 traffic stops every day. This assumes that all of the TSA data bases upon which people are "run" are updated at least daily in order to be accurate. Doing this 60,000 times per day just isn't happening and 900,000 per day is somewhere between lying and delusional.