FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Known Crewmember Program: No more AA crew cutting security lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1411621-known-crewmember-program-no-more-aa-crew-cutting-security-lines.html)

RxCapt Nov 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Known Crewmember Program: No more AA crew cutting security lines

One thing that used to annoy me a lot before pre-check was uniformed crew members cutting the security line. I've witnessed some pretty heated confrontations between crew and pax on a few occasions. I overheard some FAs on a flight today bragging how nice it was that they finally implemented this program for AA FAs starting today. Some on the crew knew about it, some didn't.

The Known Crewmember Program now makes life a little easier for both crew and pax as the crew now have their own separate entrance and don't have to cut the line. I'm all for abolishing the TSA but this and pre-check are two programs they actually got right.

gozetta Nov 27, 2012 3:28 pm

So, what is this? Are they going through the pre-check line?

sellouts Nov 27, 2012 3:30 pm

So they use the precheck line? Makes sense, great for those airports that are using precheck.

I've never understood the annoyance for pilots/crew cutting the line for security, personally.

FWAAA Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Certainly makes it easier for pilots and flight attendants to carry prohibited items into the sterile area, if they choose to:

http://www.knowncrewmember.org/Pages/Crewmembers.aspx

No more x-ray of their bags unless selected for random screening. Had this been in place on Friday morning, the flight attendant arrested at ORD with a gun in her bag would likely have avoided detection.

brobab Nov 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Not the pre-check line - a different area altogether. If they did this at all airports, then the only line crashers would be the fast food workers who are late for their shifts!

Herb687 Nov 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt (Post 19755714)
The Known Crewmember Program now makes life a little easier for both crew and pax as the crew now have their own separate entrance and don't have to cut the line. I'm all for abolishing the TSA but this and pre-check are two programs they actually got right.

No they are not. Crewmembers should be subject to the exact same screening requirements as passengers. And passengers should not have to be collaborators to get efficient, non-radiation/non-grope security screening.

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 19755803)
Certainly makes it easier for pilots and flight attendants to carry prohibited items into the sterile area, if they choose to:

http://www.knowncrewmember.org/Pages/Crewmembers.aspx

No more x-ray of their bags unless selected for random screening. Had this been in place on Friday morning, the flight attendant arrested at ORD with a gun in her bag would likely have avoided detection.

Precisely. Crewmembers are no more trustworthy than frequent fliers.

Blumie Nov 27, 2012 6:13 pm

At JFK, crew members in the program go in through the out door. That is, the door to the left of the security area, guarded by the TSA, through which passengers can exit the sterile area on the departures level.

Spiff Nov 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt (Post 19755714)

I disagree completely.

No one should be screened any differently than anyone else without clear, probable cause to do so. No one should ever have to show ID to travel, nor should showing ID bestow any special privileges.

And I'm all for abolishing the TSA and their stupidity.

aurigakb Nov 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 19756539)

And I'm all for abolishing the TSA and their stupidity.

^^

gemac Nov 27, 2012 9:04 pm

I disagree completely.

No one should be screened any differently than anyone else without clear, probable cause to do so.

Right. Because the pilot could have a boxcutter in his pocket, could hold it to the neck of a flight attendant, force his way into the cockpit, and fly the airplane into a building if he didn't have to go through the same security as everyone else. :rolleyes:

If we know he doesn't have a boxcutter on him, we can all feel totally safe.

jaimelannister Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by sellouts (Post 19755780)
I've never understood the annoyance for pilots/crew cutting the line for security, personally.

Why should they get to cut?

Honestly, flight crews cutting security lines doesn't bother me all that much since there is often a necessity for them to get through quickly, but the fast-food and concession stand workers doing it really grinds my gears. These people have a job that starts at a specific time, and they really need to factor the security line into their commute. It pisses me off every time I see it.

justforfun Nov 27, 2012 9:13 pm

I really can't believe that crew don't even go through a minimal screening like Xray. This now has to be the weakest point in "security".

supergrandslam Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by sellouts (Post 19755780)

I can't understand why pilots/crew always use priority security line for elites/premium passengers.

I think they should use normal line when they cut the line.

ByrdluvsAWACO Nov 27, 2012 9:29 pm

No one should ever have to show ID to travel,...

Are you kidding? :confused: Everyone should have to show ID to board any airliner.

hillrider Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 19757291)
Right. Because the pilot could have a boxcutter in his pocket, could hold it to the neck of a flight attendant, force his way into the cockpit, and fly the airplane into a building if he didn't have to go through the same security as everyone else. :rolleyes:

If we know he doesn't have a boxcutter on him, we can all feel totally safe.

A pilot, like anyone of us, can be a willing or accidental mule that carries whatever your imagination can come up to give to someone else to use on another flight.

The object in question does not have to be used by him/her on his/her own flight!