Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Known Crewmember Program: No more AA crew cutting security lines

Old Nov 27, 12, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold

One thing that used to annoy me a lot before pre-check was uniformed crew members cutting the security line. I've witnessed some pretty heated confrontations between crew and pax on a few occasions. I overheard some FAs on a flight today bragging how nice it was that they finally implemented this program for AA FAs starting today. Some on the crew knew about it, some didn't.

The Known Crewmember Program now makes life a little easier for both crew and pax as the crew now have their own separate entrance and don't have to cut the line. I'm all for abolishing the TSA but this and pre-check are two programs they actually got right.
Old Nov 27, 12, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
So, what is this? Are they going through the pre-check line?
Old Nov 27, 12, 4:30 pm

So they use the precheck line? Makes sense, great for those airports that are using precheck.

I've never understood the annoyance for pilots/crew cutting the line for security, personally.
Old Nov 27, 12, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly makes it easier for pilots and flight attendants to carry prohibited items into the sterile area, if they choose to:

http://www.knowncrewmember.org/Pages/Crewmembers.aspx

No more x-ray of their bags unless selected for random screening. Had this been in place on Friday morning, the flight attendant arrested at ORD with a gun in her bag would likely have avoided detection.
Old Nov 27, 12, 7:05 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Not the pre-check line - a different area altogether. If they did this at all airports, then the only line crashers would be the fast food workers who are late for their shifts!
Old Nov 27, 12, 7:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by RxCapt View Post
The Known Crewmember Program now makes life a little easier for both crew and pax as the crew now have their own separate entrance and don't have to cut the line. I'm all for abolishing the TSA but this and pre-check are two programs they actually got right.
No they are not. Crewmembers should be subject to the exact same screening requirements as passengers. And passengers should not have to be collaborators to get efficient, non-radiation/non-grope security screening.

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Certainly makes it easier for pilots and flight attendants to carry prohibited items into the sterile area, if they choose to:

http://www.knowncrewmember.org/Pages/Crewmembers.aspx

No more x-ray of their bags unless selected for random screening. Had this been in place on Friday morning, the flight attendant arrested at ORD with a gun in her bag would likely have avoided detection.
Precisely. Crewmembers are no more trustworthy than frequent fliers.

Last edited by Herb687; Nov 27, 12 at 7:12 pm Reason: multi quote
Old Nov 27, 12, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
At JFK, crew members in the program go in through the out door. That is, the door to the left of the security area, guarded by the TSA, through which passengers can exit the sterile area on the departures level.
Old Nov 27, 12, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by RxCapt View Post

I disagree completely.

No one should be screened any differently than anyone else without clear, probable cause to do so. No one should ever have to show ID to travel, nor should showing ID bestow any special privileges.

And I'm all for abolishing the TSA and their stupidity.
Old Nov 27, 12, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post

And I'm all for abolishing the TSA and their stupidity.
^^
Old Nov 27, 12, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I disagree completely.

No one should be screened any differently than anyone else without clear, probable cause to do so.
Right. Because the pilot could have a boxcutter in his pocket, could hold it to the neck of a flight attendant, force his way into the cockpit, and fly the airplane into a building if he didn't have to go through the same security as everyone else.

If we know he doesn't have a boxcutter on him, we can all feel totally safe.
Old Nov 27, 12, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sellouts View Post
I've never understood the annoyance for pilots/crew cutting the line for security, personally.
Why should they get to cut?

Honestly, flight crews cutting security lines doesn't bother me all that much since there is often a necessity for them to get through quickly, but the fast-food and concession stand workers doing it really grinds my gears. These people have a job that starts at a specific time, and they really need to factor the security line into their commute. It pisses me off every time I see it.
Old Nov 27, 12, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
I really can't believe that crew don't even go through a minimal screening like Xray. This now has to be the weakest point in "security".
Old Nov 27, 12, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by sellouts View Post
I can't understand why pilots/crew always use priority security line for elites/premium passengers.

I think they should use normal line when they cut the line.
Old Nov 27, 12, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
No one should ever have to show ID to travel,...
Are you kidding? Everyone should have to show ID to board any airliner.
Old Nov 27, 12, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac View Post
Right. Because the pilot could have a boxcutter in his pocket, could hold it to the neck of a flight attendant, force his way into the cockpit, and fly the airplane into a building if he didn't have to go through the same security as everyone else.

If we know he doesn't have a boxcutter on him, we can all feel totally safe.
A pilot, like anyone of us, can be a willing or accidental mule that carries whatever your imagination can come up to give to someone else to use on another flight.

The object in question does not have to be used by him/her on his/her own flight!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: