Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

News.Gather.Com: New TSA Rules - Passengers Must 'Freeze on Command'?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

A news outlet I don't normally pay attention to is reporting that the TSOWSFs [TSOs Who Yell Freeze] have returned:

News.gather.com:
New TSA Rules: Passengers Must 'Freeze on Command'?

July 07, 2012 07:50 AM EDT

A short quote:
According to possible new TSA rules, air travelers may be compelled to "freeze" when ordered to by screeners.

The federal safety agency has yet to comment on this policy, but an airline passenger claimed agents recently practiced a drill on his wife.

"We heard a "freeze, freeze" or something like this coming from the output side of security (where my wife was), followed by further barking of commands," the man said.
The article cites Infowars as their source; in turn, Infowars cites an anecdote posted on the Lew Rockwell blog.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
In your dreams, Cartman.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Sounds like a typical Bravo drill. What am I missing?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
More people are aware of it and talking about it. Which indicates, to me, that the public is not accepting TSA's ramp up of abuse.

To me, sudden awareness of something that we all know has been going on for some time says that the public is waking up.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
That's what I was thinking, too. I was once chewed out by a three-striper for loudly joking about how ridiculous the drill was when caught up in one. Apparently they don't appreciate it when you point at them and say, "He's still moving! Take him down!"
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by barbell
To me, sudden awareness of something that we all know has been going on for some time says that the public is waking up.
Yep. Go ahead and grope their wives, their children, and their geriatric parents in the name of the "security" lie, and they don't gripe. Mess with their Starbucks or delay them on their way to their flight, and they get a little annoyed.

Typical.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Sierra?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
They legally cant detain anyone, and this is a BS cowering conditioning drill. Just keep walking, and if they touch you file battery charges or defend yourself accordingly to prove a point.

I would be glad to post a account of BS drill that I encountered at LAX but a chewtoy might get bent out of shape.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Yep. Go ahead and grope their wives, their children, and their geriatric parents in the name of the "security" lie, and they don't gripe. Mess with their Starbucks or delay them on their way to their flight, and they get a little annoyed.

Typical.
No, apparently not. They don't allowed to groped the children & families at security checkpoint. It's against the laws. They can't be touching with the children at all. Never! It's very strict law.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, apparently not. They don't allowed to groped the children & families at security checkpoint. It's against the laws. They can't be touching with the children at all. Never! It's very strict law.
One would think so - and yet the TSA does it every day.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
They legally cant detain anyone, and this is a BS cowering conditioning drill. Just keep walking, and if they touch you file battery charges or defend yourself accordingly to prove a point.
Of course, if they stand blocking the exit from the sterile area, and you try to walk past them, you'll be subject to the same charges of battery.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Of course, if they stand blocking the exit from the sterile area, and you try to walk past them, you'll be subject to the same charges of battery.
Unlawful detainment / kidnapping would trump that if push came to shove. Im not gonna be delayed / suffer because TSA SNUFUBAR things. TSA likes to play tough but when I call there bluff they fold like a cheap lawn chair every time.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
FREEZE!
No, you freeze
No, YOU freeze
NO YOU freeze
I said it first-you freeze
So what, I said it second-you freeze

Mommy-the passenger isn't playing fair
Go talk to your father-I'm too tired for child's play
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I had something similar last month at SNA. I had just exited to the Nude-O-Scope (I chose not to opt out since I was traveling with my partner). As soon as I exited the machine, TSA were all screaming "Code 5", and everything shut down. They lowered the gates into the screening area, leaving everyone in line. I was told to stand where I was and not to move. My partner was on the other side of the NOS, waiting to walk in, and told to wait. Apparently, this "Code" shut down all security for the entire airport. Each gate had a TSA assigned. Incoming flights were not allowed to deplane, but held at the jetbridge, and anyone in security was told to stay in place. My bags were in the x-ray, so there was nowhere to go but wait. After about 15 minutes, the all-clear was given. My guardian TSA wanted to send me back for a second x-ray since the chap stick in my pocket showed up as an anomoly on the screen. At that point, I told him that one dose of radiation was enough, and that I wanted to opt out of the second dose. It took 3 more TSA agents to question my original guardian TSO, and once I pulled the chap stick out of my pocket, I was allowed to leave without a second dose of radiation.

Since my bags were literally inside the x-ray machine and in TSA custody, there was little point in arguing their "stay where you are" command.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Unlawful detainment / kidnapping would trump that if push came to shove. Im not gonna be delayed / suffer because TSA SNUFUBAR things. TSA likes to play tough but when I call there bluff they fold like a cheap lawn chair every time.
Perhaps ... but only after they unlawfully detained you long enough to make you miss your flight. We've seen it happen before. (It doesn't make it right, of course ...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.