Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓ for UA elites: exactly what info are you consenting to disclose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1P

Any UA elite can sign up for Pre-check. The sign-up page has a bunch of text about the program, a "I would like to participate" check box, and a submit button. The only information about what you are disclosing to TSA is:

By checking the box below, you grant United permission to identify you to the TSA as a passenger who is interested in participating in the pre-screening program and grant United permission to disclose to the TSA that you are a MileagePlus member who may be eligible for the program, USCBP Trusted Traveler program information (if applicable), and passenger reservation information. In addition, by choosing to participate in the TSA pre-screening program, you are also granting United permission to share the information described above with Star AllianceTM member airlines and other codeshare partners that are participating in this program.
1) Is this the entire Pre-check application process or are there subsequent questions on another page? No fingerprints, SSN, claim or proof of citizenship, whatever? I don't even let UA store my DOB and gender on their website; I enter it with every reservation (though I believe they are storing it anyway).

2) Exactly what information are you consenting for UA to disclose beyond what TSA already gets through SecureFlight? Membership in Mileage Plus? PNR information? Does that mean your lifetime travel history or information for a specific flight, which is the same as SecureFlight?

I'm loathe to consent to giving anything to TSA, but I believe they are already getting and storing this information without my consent. I'm also loathe to do anything in support of their permission-based papers-please travel programs, but that's separate from this question.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:03 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) That is the only step you need to complete to be eligible for PreCheck consideration based on UA activity qualification.

2) Most likely, PNR data and frequent flyer history, but the truth is we just don't know.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I posted this in another thread just a few hours ago:

Here's a question - I signed up for pre-check as a United 1K, but never heard anything back. On the app screen from UA, this actually appears:

"Your application to participate in the TSA pre-screening program has been submitted and will be processed within the next 24 hours.

Again, once you apply, you will receive no further communication from the TSA or United about your status in this program.

The TSA manages and operates this pre-screening program. Please contact the TSA for information and answers to questions.

The TSA will determine your expedited screening eligibility on a per-flight basis every time you fly."

Uh, how am I supposed to know if I'm approved or not? Since each flight is a coin toss as to whether you can use the fast lane or not - people I know who have used it say it's 50/50 for the most part - do I need to try a couple of times and see if I'm "allowed"?

What kind of FUBAR program doesn't tell you if you're in or not?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by catocony
What kind of FUBAR program doesn't tell you if you're in or not?
Answer, a program run by DHS/TSA.

They do the same no-reply no-acknowledgement thing if you apply for "redress" via DHS TRIP after being delayed, harassed, or denied travel for matching a watch list (blacklist). They will not confirm that you were on a list or that they fixed your problem. Everything is a secret with them.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To participate on AA, DL and AS, you needed an invitation-- the invitation was based on status or travel pattern, or whatever, but the invitation was addressed to those fliers most likely to be eligible. I think United's "let anyone and everyone opt in" policy combined with TSA's "don't call us, we'll call you" policy will do more harm than good as they are probably setting a lot of people up for disappointment relative to the number of people who might have been eligible but were not invited to apply on the other carriers.

Or perhaps UA and the TSA have worked out a diffrent system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.