Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: "CIA 'foils new underwear bomb'"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard

On BBC News now:

US intelligence officials say they have disrupted a plot by al-Qaeda in Yemen to detonate an upgraded version of the failed 2009 "underwear bomb", according to US media reports.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17985709
Old May 7, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
first shoes, now underwear?

Hopefully there won't be a new underwear security check...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17985709
Old May 7, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
So that's the reason why I was lovingly fondled by TSA SFO, and here I thought he liked me
Old May 7, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
CNN: Attempt to blow up US-bound airliner w/ "non-metallic" IED thwarted

CNN: Attempt to blow up US-bound airliner w/ "non-metallic" IED thwarted

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/07...lane-thwarted/

Brace yourself for more justifications for body scanners!

Apparently this plot was known about last month, but is news today, just when criticism of TSA has been growing in many sectors. Hmmm....

Last edited by Maxwell Smart; May 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm
Old May 7, 2012, 3:39 pm

The constant updates in the piece make it a little hard to follow. It seems it was more of a plan than an attempt. It looks to me that the intelligence services did their job. the president was informed of it in April. I don't like how the news report title infers that something happened today and on a plane.

DHS statement: "We have no specific, credible information regarding an active terrorist plot against the U.S. at this time, although we continue to monitor efforts by al-Qaeda and its affiliates to carry out terrorist attacks, both in the Homeland and abroad. Since this IED demonstrates our adversaries’ interest in targeting the aviation sector, DHS continues, at the direction of the President, to employ a risk-based, layered approach to ensure the security of the traveling public.

"These layers include threat and vulnerability analysis, prescreening and screening of passengers, using the best available technology, random searches at airports, federal air marshal coverage and additional security measures both seen and unseen. DHS will continue to work with our federal, state, local, international and private sector partners to identify potential threats and take appropriate protective measures. As always, we encourage law enforcement and security officials, as well as the general public, to maintain vigilance and report suspicious activity to the appropriate authorities.”
Old May 7, 2012, 3:41 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ear-bomb-plot/

CBS says it was a new and improved underwear bomb.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I don't buy it. Then again, I don't believe much of what the press/government says about terrorist threats these days either.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:00 pm

How long until Bob pats TSA on the back for helping out?
Old May 7, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Oh great!

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The full body Xray dance should take care of that if folks would not be upset about images being checked.
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The BBC report did contain this line though:

"There is no indication on the status of the would-be bomber."

Perhaps someone recently downgraded to silver?

Originally Posted by peterrabbit
Hopefully there won't be a new underwear security check...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17985709

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
It's the Mighty Wurlitzer at work again
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Wurlitzer_(media)
Old May 7, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
Has the TSA claimed their faux share of credit in uncovering the device yet?
Old May 7, 2012, 4:11 pm

It is convenient that this story comes out just after the recent negative incidents. Of course this has nothing to do with the TSA. One of the articles mentioned this was going to be used on a US bound flight, so the TSA would have been of no help there, just like the previous underwear bomber and the shoe bomber.

One of the articles also mentioned that it was uncertain if the body scanners would have detected the new bomb. That leads to another issue. If a bomb was detected, won't the terrorist simply detonate it at the checkpoint?

The TSA will probably overreact to this situation, but what can they really do? Is there going to be mandatory crotch patdowns on everybody? I don't think that will go over well.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And from this article with the bolding mine......

The device did not contain metal, making it likely that it could have eluded detection by traditional airport security. But it was unclear whether controversial new full-body scanners would have located it.
Originally Posted by CO777ER
Has the TSA claimed their faux share of credit in uncovering the device yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.