Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Ignored Threat Vector: Drag stars pass TSA checkpoints wearing fake butts & breasts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ignored Threat Vector: Drag stars pass TSA checkpoints wearing fake butts & breasts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Some news out of Las Vegas (LAS):

Las Vegas Review Journal -
Britney copycat: TSA was a drag

Posted: Apr. 15, 2012 | 2:06 a.m.

There are two interesting things about this article.
  1. Cultural Insensitivity: We can add drag stars to the list of groups that TSA has discriminated against because the agency completely lacks cultural sensitivity.

A short quote of the article:
    A Britney Spears drag star contends the Transportation Security Administration is guilty of a double standard: Why were his silicone chicken cutlet breast enhancers a screening issue when women routinely "roll through airports with them?"

Derrick Barry said he was turned away at McCarran International Airport on Friday because the cutlets exceeded TSA's liquid limit of 3.4 ounces for most carry-on items.

"I'm not a terrorist threat by having silicone cutlets in my carry-on baggage," he said. "If a woman walks through if they are on her carry-on or bra, she goes right through."
  2. Ignored Threat Vector: The article implies that TSA will let men through checkpoints wearing anything on their body as long as those men are outwardly dressed in drag.

From the article:
    "I've gone through [TSA Checkpoints] with my fake butt and my fake boobs and never had a problem," said Barry's boss Marino, a Las Vegas drag icon for almost 30 years in "La Cage" and "Divas Las Vegas."
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Drag Performer's silicone prosthetics caused delay at Las Vegas Aiport

I'm on my way to Vegas right now for NAB so I saw this while catching up on my Vegas news:

A Britney Spears drag star contends the Transportation Security Administration is guilty of a double standard: Why were his silicone chicken cutlet breast enhancers a screening issue when women routinely "roll through airports with them?"

Derrick Barry said he was turned away at McCarran International Airport on Friday because the cutlets exceeded TSA's liquid limit of 3.4 ounces for most carry-on items.

[...]

Barry said he was bounced back and forth and held up for an hour over the issue and nearly missed his flight to Tampa, Fla., where he had a gig Friday night.
The whole article is here.

Mr. Barry makes the point that many women are allowed to pass through security while they're wearing these "cutlets" in their bras. (Though we've all read the stories of cancer survivors being harassed.) I certainly accept his claim that he was subject to extra harassment because he was a man.

(And why bother imitating Britney Spears!? Why not someone with talent?)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
I hope that Mr. Barry has the time, resources, and inclination to employ an attorney to sue the TSA. My understanding is that the government and its employees are not permitted to discriminate against people on the basis of ethnicity, gender, etc. Wouldn't this qualify as a situation in which someone was discriminated against due to their gender?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
How does the TSA braintrust know the exact amount of liquid?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
How does the TSA braintrust know the exact amount of liquid?
Their "Brain"trust doesn't handle these things. They leave that up to the boobtrust!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.