FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Man accused of smuggling cash into United States at border (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1310280-man-accused-smuggling-cash-into-united-states-border.html)

VelvetJones Feb 3, 2012 6:40 pm

Man accused of smuggling cash into United States at border

Yes, more deadly cash being smuggled in to the US. The Feds are just great at inventing crimes, especially ones that allow them to confiscate peoples valuable property. Given the nearly daily incidents of federal, state, and local LEOs outright stealing money from people I would hide anything I was carrying as well. There wasn't much detail in this story but I wonder how this will turn out given the recent SCOTUS case dealing with cash seizures for non-declaration only did not go so well for the DOJ.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/stat...tml?mode=story

todd-r Feb 3, 2012 6:57 pm

The article is quite weak. I've taken more than 10 large across the border and declared it. The paperwork was more trouble than it was worth. All I had to of was count out the cashing front of someone and they signed a form. No questions about the source it destination were asked.

cordelli Feb 3, 2012 7:20 pm

This happened two years and five months ago.

Why on earth is it news now?

We Will Never Forget Feb 3, 2012 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetJones (Post 17948317)
Yes, more deadly cash being smuggled in to the US. The Feds are just great at inventing crimes, especially ones that allow them to confiscate peoples valuable property. Given the nearly daily incidents of federal, state, and local LEOs outright stealing money from people I would hide anything I was carrying as well. There wasn't much detail in this story but I wonder how this will turn out given the recent SCOTUS case dealing with cash seizures for non-declaration only did not go so well for the DOJ.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/stat...tml?mode=story

How do you think money from illicit activity gets back into the U.S.? Don't confuse "seizure" with the outright loss of the currency. If the owner can show legitimacy, most likely he'll pay a penalty, get it back and wont be charged with a crime.

Loren Pechtel Feb 3, 2012 8:27 pm

Over $10k in unreported cash is almost always criminal in some fashion (although perhaps simply under the table work.)

VelvetJones Feb 3, 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 17948711)
Over $10k in unreported cash is almost always criminal in some fashion (although perhaps simply under the table work.)

Then prove it. I also think your statement is way off the mark. People of certain cultures carry and use cash far more often then westerners. My guess, based on his name, was the guy was from SE Asia(Cambodian?).

VelvetJones Feb 3, 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 17948529)
How do you think money from illicit activity gets back into the U.S.? Don't confuse "seizure" with the outright loss of the currency. If the owner can show legitimacy, most likely he'll pay a penalty, get it back and wont be charged with a crime.

I suggest you research asset forfeitures in the US. You do not need to be charged with a crime to have cash seized and forfeited. The government only needs to claim that it is illicit, it is then up to you to sue to get it back.

bluenotesro Feb 3, 2012 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetJones (Post 17948866)
Then prove it. I also think your statement is way off the mark. People of certain cultures carry and use cash far more often then westerners. My guess, based on his name, was the guy was from SE Asia(Cambodian?).

Vietnamese. I know many Cambodians and Vietnamese who keep all their gold and cash in home safes...not uncommon to have half a million in gold, Euros, and dollars stashed away. Not much trust of banks here.

We all know that cash in Amerika is dirty but in SE Asia....it's preferable. Not uncommon at all. Poor guy got caught up in many of the stupidity games played in NA on a daily basis.

Ari Feb 3, 2012 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 17948469)
This happened two years and five months ago.

Why on earth is it news now?

The indictment was probably just handed down; the government decides to wait sometimes, when it meets their investigative needs. This guy has a conviction for conspiracy to distribute ecstasy from 2003, so I imagine this was drug money.

We Will Never Forget Feb 3, 2012 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetJones (Post 17948875)
I suggest you research asset forfeitures in the US. You do not need to be charged with a crime to have cash seized and forfeited. The government only needs to claim that it is illicit, it is then up to you to sue to get it back.

I'm somewhat familiar with asset forfeiture. If you can show legitimacy, normally the charges are dropped against the defendant and the currency.

Caradoc Feb 4, 2012 7:14 am

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 17949218)
I'm somewhat familiar with asset forfeiture. If you can show legitimacy, normally the charges are dropped against the defendant and the currency.

Getting the charges dropped isn't even half the battle.

Getting the "forfeited" assets returned is often a painful process, somewhat like trying to get your confiscated, uh, I mean "voluntarily surrendered" aloe vera gel back from the TSA clerk who just tossed it into the trash without so much as blinking.

Darkumbra Feb 4, 2012 11:31 am

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 17949218)

Yep. Until you prove you're innocent of anything, you're pretty much guilty.
simple really

We Will Never Forget Feb 4, 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra (Post 17951503)
Yep. Until you prove you're innocent of anything, you're pretty much guilty.
simple really

If they seized the cash, you had it and it wasn't delcared.

What other proof of guilt would you like?

As for the currency, that may be an uphill battle if you can't prove it was lawfully obtained.

We Will Never Forget Feb 4, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 17950225)
Getting the charges dropped isn't even half the battle.

Getting the "forfeited" assets returned is often a painful process, somewhat like trying to get your confiscated, uh, I mean "voluntarily surrendered" aloe vera gel back from the TSA clerk who just tossed it into the trash without so much as blinking.

Depends on whether you're talking about "seized" or "forfeited" assets. "Seized" is simply the withholding, "forfeited" is the adjudicated dispostion. Assuming you are referring to forfeiture, yes it's an uphill battle. Unfortunately, some people caught up in these seizures are honest, law abiding people who distrust governments because of their personal history. They seen corruption all their lives and expect the same thing when they come to the U.S.

catocony Feb 4, 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 17951646)
If they seized the cash, you had it and it wasn't delcared.

What other proof of guilt would you like?

As for the currency, that may be an uphill battle if you can't prove it was lawfully obtained.

Why should someone need to prove something is lawful? It's up the government to prove something is unlawful. You know, that old "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" nugget.