FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Man accused of smuggling cash into United States at border (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1310280-man-accused-smuggling-cash-into-united-states-border.html)

MaximumSisu Feb 6, 2012 7:32 pm

Because those points are inconvenient and not in keeping with his formed opinion.

Ari Feb 6, 2012 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu (Post 17965360)
Because those points are inconvenient and not in keeping with his formed opinion.

Maybe he missed them-- it was a long post.

We Will Never Forget Feb 6, 2012 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 17960096)
  • The County has settled numerous lawsuits and faces many others which are open. (Settlements are not admissions, but government settlements in constitutional rights cases are more signifigant indicators of wrongdoing than settlements in other cases because in these types of cases the loser often pays both sides' legal fees. So "saving the costs of litigation" is less of an excuse for settling than in suits against private actors, especially when the settlement is made early in the case before dispositive motions are filed and the court denys summary judgment).
  • Both Investigator Green and DA Russell took the 5th in response to all questions during lawsuit depositions other than their names. This is their right, but you can only take the 5th in a civil case deposition if what you are going to say could possibly incriminate you (in a criminal sense, of course). The Judge ruled that it is permissible to draw a negative inference from the taking of the 5th in this case.
  • The Texas Attorney General has been investigating for some time; he ruled that DA Lynda Russell can't use the forfeiture funds for her legal defense (she is personally liable for some of her conduct). It is really chutzpah for her to ask to use the forfeiture funds for this purpose.
  • The FBI opened a criminal investigation in November of last year (the DOJ's civil investigation has been going on for some time now).
  • Barry Cooper of Kopbusters (I don't condone their activities or vouch for him, but he did say this) worked with Barry Washington and claims that Washington is the one who taught him how to get a dog to give a false alert when Cooper was a cop and they worked together on the drug interdiction task force.
  • The 5th Circuit just rejected interlocutory appeal of a District Court's certification of a class for injunctive relief.
  • It is not lawful under the Texas forfeiture laws (read them) to threaten to take someone's children away in order to get forfeiture documents signed, but it is documented that Russell did just that.
  • More, but I don't want to dig it up now.

Any one of the above on its own would not mean much (or anything), but all of them put together paint a very different picture. We can agree or disagree on seizures nationwide (I will attempt to locate the policy paper I'm thinking about), but this is not one author spinning an article, but reporting the facts (do you still think it is?). These are only allegations, and they may or not be proven true, but please at least admit that this situation looks fishy and it isn't CNN's doing.

Feel free to google to check the facts I cited above (you will find much more); I didn't link to sources in this post due to feeling lazy. Sorry.

-----------------------------

I am the one in this thread who brought to light the meth conviction of the driver in the border case that started this thread. I even went so far as to say it was probably drug money given the previous conviction, so I don't think I can be dismissed as being criminal sympathizer.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to go back and read the full text of what you posted. If the D.O.J. is looking into it, that is a good thing. I have some questions about this, such as why the DA didn't have qualified immunity. While asserting the 5th Amendment protections isn't incriminating, it certainly raises questions of a person in authority. Theoretically, they have the ability to influence how a case is presented, therefore perceived. If there is corruption, I certainly hope it's rooted out and those responsible are punished to the maximum extent the law allows. Going back to my original statement, we can't hold that as an indictment of the entire system.

greentips Feb 6, 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 17965535)
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to go back and read the full text of what you posted. If the D.O.J. is looking into it, that is a good thing. I have some questions about this, such as why the DA didn't have qualified immunity. While asserting the 5th Amendment protections isn't incriminating, it certainly raises questions of a person in authority. Theoretically, they have the ability to influence how a case is presented, therefore perceived. If there is corruption, I certainly hope it's rooted out and those responsible are punished to the maximum extent the law allows. Going back to my original statement, we can't hold that as an indictment of the entire system.

Can't hold it against the entire system, but it does appear that substantial portions of the system are indeed corrupt. Lest there be any doubt about this, Ari has given ample data in this case. Even a brief perusal of the news in the past year demonstrate that public corruption is widespread and deep. Witness not one, but two Illinois governors in prison for lengthy stretches, the ex-mayor of Detroit completed one felony prison sentence and is presently under federal indictment for lying in court, graft, witness tampering, etc.

Add to that a number of other questionable federal, state and municipal activities, one of which got a federal agent killed in the line of duty, and yeah, I'd say that there are substantial portions of the "entire system" that we should have serious concerns about. Certainly enough doubt to suggest that relying heavily on our founding fathers' wisdom that the philosophy of innocent until proven guilty should continue to be the resounding law of the land, and that searches should remain illegal absent a warrant specifying what is to be searched and what may be seized has been issued for good reason only.

Ari Feb 7, 2012 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Why do you [WWNF] keep talking just about the article when I introduced numerous other facts from other sources?

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu (Post 17965360)

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 17965377)
Maybe he missed them-- it was a long post.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to go back and read the full text of what you posted.

See, MaximumSisu, it looks like WWNF hadn't read the whole thing. I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt rather than assume nefarious intent.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If the D.O.J. is looking into it, that is a good thing. I have some questions about this, such as why the DA didn't have qualified immunity.

That defense hasn't been raised yet (there are almost 300 docket entries already!), so it will have to be evaluated if and when it is raised. This is a very complicated area of law-- when DAs can be held liable for misconduct-- but the issue is generally whether the DA was acting as an advocate (a lawyer, appearing in court and filing papers), versus acting as an investigator (interviewing suspects), in which case the protections are less.

While asserting the 5th Amendment protections isn't incriminating, it certainly raises questions of a person in authority.

The problem with taking the 5th in a civil case is that it is lawful for juries and judges to make negative inferences based on taking the 5th (unlike in criminal cases). The Judge made that negative inference in his initial order, explicitly saying he was doing so (he took a page to explain why).

Theoretically, they have the ability to influence how a case is presented, therefore perceived. If there is corruption, I certainly hope it's rooted out and those responsible are punished to the maximum extent the law allows.

It'll take another 2-5 years to shake out-- it is moving at the speed of federal court.

Going back to my original statement, we can't hold that as an indictment of the entire system.

Fair enough. But this is an example of a system that is setup in a way that allows gross abuse. (Texas is looking at changing their laws after all this came to light).

We Will Never Forget Feb 7, 2012 6:37 am

Originally Posted by greentips (Post 17965949)
Can't hold it against the entire system, but it does appear that substantial portions of the system are indeed corrupt. Lest there be any doubt about this, Ari has given ample data in this case. Even a brief perusal of the news in the past year demonstrate that public corruption is widespread and deep. Witness not one, but two Illinois governors in prison for lengthy stretches, the ex-mayor of Detroit completed one felony prison sentence and is presently under federal indictment for lying in court, graft, witness tampering, etc.

Add to that a number of other questionable federal, state and municipal activities, one of which got a federal agent killed in the line of duty, and yeah, I'd say that there are substantial portions of the "entire system" that we should have serious concerns about. Certainly enough doubt to suggest that relying heavily on our founding fathers' wisdom that the philosophy of innocent until proven guilty should continue to be the resounding law of the land, and that searches should remain illegal absent a warrant specifying what is to be searched and what may be seized has been issued for good reason only.

I'd assume that many of these searches were done by consent. Aside from that, The Carroll Doctrine allows for a warrantless search of a mobile conveyence because the Supreme Court deemed it impractical to obtain a warrant.

We Will Never Forget Feb 7, 2012 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 17966520)
See, MaximumSisu, it looks like WWNF hadn't read the whole thing. I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt rather than assume nefarious intent.

^ That was a lot to read and it was a very busy day.

That defense hasn't been raised yet (there are almost 300 docket entries already!), so it will have to be evaluated if and when it is raised. This is a very complicated area of law-- when DAs can be held liable for misconduct-- but the issue is generally whether the DA was acting as an advocate (a lawyer, appearing in court and filing papers), versus acting as an investigator (interviewing suspects), in which case the protections are less.

This will be interesting. If they can show a pattern of seizures outside the law, the DA will have a ton of liability.

The problem with taking the 5th in a civil case is that it is lawful for juries and judges to make negative inferences based on taking the 5th (unlike in criminal cases). The Judge made that negative inference in his initial order, explicitly saying he was doing so (he took a page to explain why)

I would certainly doubt the credibility of officials doing so in a civil trial. Going back to the DA, if I was a juror I'd be influenced to believe that there was a cover up when she exercised this right.

We Will Never Forget Feb 7, 2012 7:04 am

Fair enough. But this is an example of a system that is setup in a way that allows gross abuse. (Texas is looking at changing their laws after all this came to light).

This reminds me of the little speedtrap towns we have in Florida.

Mientree Feb 7, 2012 7:39 am

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 17967399)
I'd assume that many of these searches were done by consent. Aside from that, The Carroll Doctrine allows for a warrantless search of a mobile conveyence because the Supreme Court deemed it impractical to obtain a warrant.

[First - as usual, IANAL, and my comments are based on my limited information and understanding - which may or may not be correct.]

Define consent and you will likely have your answer. Is it truly consent if the person is threatened with arrest (or worse)? Not to mention that too many people don't understand that they have the right to tell the officer no if he asks or starts to search. [That and the (IMO) backwards consent the courts have given by noting that unless the person objects to the search before / as an officer starts, it is deemed to be a consensual search.] And, if I understand correctly, unlike what the TSA will tell you, your voluntary consent for the search of your property can be withdrawn stopping any further consensual search.

The Carroll Doctrine does not give carte blanche to the officer to search your vehicle, the officer is required to stipulate probable cause for the search to be legal. And, when practical, they are still obligated to obtain a search warrant.

I've always heard that if an officer requests to search your vehicle, you politely tell them that you do not consent to a voluntary search of the vehicle, but you will not interfere with any search they undertake. (again - IANAL - YMMV)

Ari Feb 7, 2012 10:35 am

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 17967526)
This reminds me of the little speedtrap towns we have in Florida.

Those exist all over the country. Here in Illinois, the state legislature solved that problem-- and it was a huge problem until they stepped in. State law capped the fines for speeding violations statewide at $75 (1-20 over) and $95 (21-30 over); the 'arresting' agency is entitled only to 50% of the fine is collected.

I doubt the law reduced the number of drivers speeding, but when it was passed (a long time ago), it did reduce the number of speeding tickets issued statewide, most markedly in a few downstate counties. Property taxes went up the next year in more than one downstate county that hadn't raised property taxes in a long time.

^ to the Illinois legislature. Now tickets are given for traffic safety purposes, not to generate revenue. Get pulled over in Wisconsin, however, and you could end up forking over $250++. Guess where the speed traps are now . . .

Loren Pechtel Feb 7, 2012 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 17962798)
There is probably more to that story; generally transportation for hire is not subject to forfeiture unless the operator knew it was in furtherance of a crime. CBP would have a fleet of buses otherwise. One of the reasons smugglers use rentals is to avoid any personal forfeiture losses and plausible deniability for anything discovered within the vehicle.

They claimed the pilot knew they were bad guys. Remember, this was a jet charter, not public transit.

We Will Never Forget Feb 7, 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mientree (Post 17967704)
[First - as usual, IANAL, and my comments are based on my limited information and understanding - which may or may not be correct.]

Define consent and you will likely have your answer. Is it truly consent if the person is threatened with arrest (or worse)?

You can't truly give consent under duress.

Not to mention that too many people don't understand that they have the right to tell the officer no if he asks or starts to search.

Very true.

That and the (IMO) backwards consent the courts have given by noting that unless the person objects to the search before / as an officer starts, it is deemed to be a consensual search.

Absence of protest does not generally constitute consent. Normally there has to be some type of overt affirmation.

And, if I understand correctly, unlike what the TSA will tell you, your voluntary consent for the search of your property can be withdrawn stopping any further consensual search.

Both are true. In a criminal matter, consent can be withdrawn up until the point the officer has established probable cause. TSA searches are administrative and do not follow the same guidelines. Basically, what the courts decided was that once a person presents themself or their baggage for screening, it is implied consent throughout the process. There was nothing to prevent passengers from probing the screening procedures by revoking consent if they believed a prohibited item was about to be discovered. Police are much better trained to develop and articulate probable cause and always have the option to seek a warrant. Screeners cannot.

The Carroll Doctrine does not give carte blanche to the officer to search your vehicle, the officer is required to stipulate probable cause for the search to be legal. And, when practical, they are still obligated to obtain a search warrant.

Yes and no. The Carroll Doctrine basically says that a mobile conyance can be searched with probable cause, which is what would be required to seek a warrant. There are some exceptions, such as the actually ability for the conveyance to be mobile, but that is splitting hairs for this conversation.

I've always heard that if an officer requests to search your vehicle, you politely tell them that you do not consent to a voluntary search of the vehicle, but you will not interfere with any search they undertake. (again - IANAL - YMMV)

For your legal protection, that would be the best route to take.

Loren Pechtel Feb 7, 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 17964526)
Wow! That's quite a shakedown.

Actually, that one sounds legit. They seized the airplane because the airline wasn't paying a fine they were supposed to pay.

Loren Pechtel Feb 7, 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by greentips (Post 17965949)

I think we are seeing the same thing we saw with alcohol prohibition: The majority of cops involved in prohibition enforcement became corrupt.

We Will Never Forget Feb 7, 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 17972496)
They claimed the pilot knew they were bad guys. Remember, this was a jet charter, not public transit.

Legally, any transportation for hire is usually considered similar to rental car. I think the pilot being aware of criminal activity would make it forfeitable though, as he was acting as both a co-conspirator and agent of the company.