FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   New technology will enhance privacy on body scanners, TSA says (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1239005-new-technology-will-enhance-privacy-body-scanners-tsa-says.html)

doober Jul 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jdp23 (Post 16771112)
the TSA is allowing a small increase in risk in exchange for large gains in privacy and cost savings. The reason it took years of complaints, litigation, legislation, and other conflict is because the TSA did not analyze the risks and its responses before going forward with strip-search machines as it did...

None of this means the TSA has now gotten the balance right. The airport security gauntlet will still be an overwrought mess and an affront to constitutional liberty. We will have to remain insistent on principle, on dignity and privacy, and on sound risk management while TSA gets a public relations bump from being less awful than it was before.
The full post is at http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/tsas-...ll-body-scans/

Does anybody else recall Chertoff saying, when WBI was first being introduced, that he didn't want to hear any complaints about privacy, basically, it is what it is and don't bother complaining?

I'd venture that someone at TSA did realize the risks and responses, but Chertoff didn't want to listen.

average_passenger Jul 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by doober (Post 16771198)
Does anybody else recall Chertoff saying, when WBI was first being introduced, that he didn't want to hear any complaints about privacy, basically, it is what it is and don't bother complaining?

I'd venture that someone at TSA did realize the risks and responses, but Chertoff didn't want to listen.

Chertoff doesn't sound like a very nice guy. What is it about bullying people associated with the TSA? Why does the TSA not like the American people? We aren't the enemy!!!

Boggie Dog Jul 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by average_passenger (Post 16771266)
Chertoff doesn't sound like a very nice guy. What is it about bullying people associated with the TSA? Why does the TSA not like the American people? We aren't the enemy!!!

In TSAs eyes you are the enemy!

celticwhisper Jul 21, 2011 1:09 pm

I always wondered, how is Michael Chertoff's name pronounced? Is it a hard "ch" as in "channel" or a soft one as in "champagne?"

I ask because the latter would render it homophonic with "shirt off," which would be hilarious if it weren't so f*cking twisted in light of what TSA is doing.

nachtnebel Jul 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by celticwhisper (Post 16771426)
I always wondered, how is Michael Chertoff's name pronounced? Is it a hard "ch" as in "channel" or a soft one as in "champagne?"

I ask because the latter would render it homophonic with "shirt off," which would be hilarious if it weren't so f*cking twisted in light of what TSA is doing.

its pronounced @ssh@le

I'd Rather Walk Jul 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Anybody else think this and the other changes coming later this year might have something to do with the election next year. Of course they wouldn't be doing this for political reasons. And Chertoff was only concerned with the American publics safety, that he was paid by the company that sold the machines I'm sure had nothing to do with his recommendation.

4nsicdoc Jul 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde (Post 16769922)
bolding mine: ^^^^^^^ 100% agreement! Noone (n.b. NOONE) who works for the government deserves to see how pretty my titties really are!!! :D

So the issue isn't that you have boobs but, rather, that TSOs are boobs. I see.

mules Jul 21, 2011 5:16 pm

I don't think this is going to help anyone with "anomalies" like ostomy bags, prosthetics, surgical dressings... People in wheelchairs are still going to be violated.

chollie Jul 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by mules (Post 16772872)
I don't think this is going to help anyone with "anomalies" like ostomy bags, prosthetics, surgical dressings... People in wheelchairs are still going to be violated.

It isn't.

But according to SATTSO, there are very few opt-outs. I guess involuntary medical opt-outs or those who will always require a grope because of permanent medical 'anomalies' don't count.

gojirasan Jul 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by average_passenger (Post 16771266)

From their perspective we are indistinguishable from the enemy. To them it is a distinction without a difference.

4nsicdoc Jul 25, 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 16773070)
It isn't.

But according to SATTSO, there are very few opt-outs. I guess involuntary medical opt-outs or those who will always require a grope because of permanent medical 'anomalies' don't count.

There is a substantial cohort of travellers, 2.9 million disabled veterans who are always treated by the gropers as if we "don't count." The common attitude is that we lost the use of our limbs just to inconvenience them.

CavePearl Jul 25, 2011 12:18 pm

I have a question.

At airports with WBI, the screeners bark at people to remove all jewelry. I NEVER take off certain items, so I just ignore them because I know I am opting out anyway. But, I am wondering... Does this new software mean other passengers will be able to leave on their jewelry? Or will it still trigger an automatic patdown when it detects a necklace, navel ring, or other body adornment?

As for me, though... I will never go through an airport body imaging device, not now - nor after several generations of cartoon software.

Global_Hi_Flyer Jul 25, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm betting that the raw images are either stored or sent across the network somewhere....

swag Sep 3, 2011 11:21 am

Here's an article about the updated scanners getting installed at DFW. It includes a video showing the images.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/national/TS...129113398.html

Now, I've been going out of my way for a year now at DFW, heading to alternate checkpoints and/or alternate terminals to ensure I only encountered WTMD. I think I may now stop doing that, or at least not the alternate terminals (which could mean needing to allow an extra 15 minutes, if departing from scanner-only terminals C or D).

I still have doubts about the scanner effectiveness, but that isn't a concern for me personally when I choose a checkpoint.

I still don't think Backscatter is safe, but DFW is all MMW (or WTMD),

But the images shown on the videos seem inoffensive. I like that the private TSA viewing rooms are eliminated, and I like that I get to see the same image of myself that the TSA does.

ScatterX Sep 3, 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 17048526)
But the images shown on the videos seem inoffensive. I like that the private TSA viewing rooms are eliminated, and I like that I get to see the same image of myself that the TSA does.

This quote is BS...
However, the agency believes it will save money by eliminating the need for private screening rooms and extra personnel, who had to watch the monitors before the software upgrade.
The new system still creates and stores the same high-quality image that the current system does. The image is processed to create a SEPARATE image (the user-friendly cartoon). The more truthful answer is the routine screening of every passenger is going to be done by a person looking at the cartoon at the checkpoint. HOWEVER, the system is 100% reliant on accurately processing the original image and presenting the cartoon properly. The TSA will still have a room and a person that makes sure this is done properly.

So... the TSA will still have a nude image, still have a person looking at it, still have it saved on a PC for processing, and still have the ability the transmit it for quality/training (yeah, right) purposes. The real truth is TSA will have to store all of these images (the original nude ones and the cartoons) to complete a comparative study whether the damn thing works or not. Or, they could just assume they work and proceed with the empire building.

I fail to see what has changed other than the smoke screen and cute diversion presented to appease the public.