FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Menstruation Arouses TSA Suspicion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1152887-menstruation-arouses-tsa-suspicion.html)

LuvAirFrance Dec 11, 2010 3:05 pm

without thinking of the unintended consequences.
The "intended consequences" were $$$$$. As GWB would say "Mission accomplished".

jiejie Dec 11, 2010 3:13 pm

We could take up a collection of (used) sanitary pads, and dump the truckload on Pistole's front lawn, along with a Joint Love Note from the Sisterhood. Couldn't we?

BubbaLoop Dec 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Mevlannen has now confirmed that:

The TSA will harass and embarrass women wearing menstrual pads.

The TSA does nothing to differentiate the detected pads from anything dangerous.

I suspected the whole thing was pointless and invasive. It is now confirmed.

littlesheep Dec 11, 2010 3:47 pm

deleted

exbayern Dec 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by littlesheep (Post 15429143)
FYI,

I've spent about 3 hours driving between 6 different stores today and yesterday, in heavy traffic, looking for OB tampons. Forget Ultra which disappeared about 2 months ago... :(

I couldn't find any at all, in any size!

This just adds to the crisis.

I once read an article in a German magazine about why OB is not popular in the US. Not that it helps, but Boots house brand is pretty similar.

Along with TSA approved 75ml and 100ml labelled full size toothpaste I suppose add TSA approved sanitary products to the list of things easily found outside the US but not in the US. :(

AUS2008 Dec 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Funny...I have quite a few tampons tucked away in various pockets of my carryon and checked bags. I don't know if it is really working, but I feel like they are a little bit of a deterrent to people digging through my belongings. :p

On a related note (sort of), it is sad the thoughts that a similar discussion like this elicited on another board. One woman was worried about wearing a tampon instead of a pad, in case the TSA saw the string on the WBI and thought it was a fuse!! Really? :rolleyes:

divemistressofthedark Dec 11, 2010 11:50 pm

For the love of God. I cannot believe we're seriously having this discussion. (Well, I actually *can* believe it, which is why I'm going to drive 12 hours w/spouse to the inlaw's for Xmas.)

How can we get some press on this? Any ideas?

BubbaLoop Dec 12, 2010 1:20 am

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 15429214)
Along with TSA approved 75ml and 100ml labelled full size toothpaste I suppose add TSA approved sanitary products to the list of things easily found outside the US but not in the US. :(

Don't forget the one quart zip top baggie. Try finding that around here! I have reused mine for years, and actually got a few ugly looks because it is very old and torn.

LuvAirFrance Dec 12, 2010 5:57 am

In the US, zip top baggies are available everywhere. Not sure where people traveling from outside get them. But I suppose they are available for order on the web. In fact, now that they are flier gear, don't websites catering to travelers sell them?

BubbaLoop Dec 12, 2010 6:30 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 15431914)
In the US, zip top baggies are available everywhere. Not sure where people traveling from outside get them. But I suppose they are available for order on the web. In fact, now that they are flier gear, don't websites catering to travelers sell them?

I got mine with my suitcase. Only form I know to find the same size as US standard ones. Can find all sorts of other sizes at my local supermarket, but I doubt they would pass TSA muster (most are rectangular, not square, except the real big ones). Another stupid TSA rule that makes us loose time...

Few travelers here need them, since liquids are not a threat to aviation in the Southern Hemisphere.

exbayern Dec 12, 2010 10:16 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 15431914)

You do realise don't you that the vast majority of the world uses the metric system??

And while that means that we use litre sized bags if indeed we need them, due to what BubbaLoop posted about dimensions they sometimes get comments or worse from US-centric TSOs who cannot understand that there is more to the world than the US.

TheGolfWidow Dec 12, 2010 10:49 am

I remember several years ago, my husband asked me to add some quart-sized baggies to the grocery list. I rarely buy disposable stuff but I had a few gallon size on hand. Since I hadn't yet heard that 3-1-1 was the next great thing to keep our nation safe, I said "Oh, just take one of the gallon-sized baggies from the drawer..." And, then we proceeded to have the most illogical conversation ever about why his travel toiletries had to be in that.size.bag.and.only.that.size.bag now.

Whenever I am faced with something completely illogical (like how a quart baggie is safer than a liter baggie and why a menstrual pad poses great potential risk to safety, but nobody wants to actually examine the thing) I start to wonder if I went insane and forgot to notice.

exbayern Dec 12, 2010 10:57 am

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow (Post 15433273)
And, then we proceeded to have the most illogical conversation ever about why his travel toiletries had to be in that.size.bag.and.only.that.size.bag now.

Wish me luck! My new baggies are from the drugstore chain that ate Germany (ie my favourite chain is disappearing) and has white writing all over it - the name of the chain, the type of bag, etc in furrin writing. Not to mention that it is the very dangerous litre size bag. :eek:

youreadyfreddie Dec 12, 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mevlannen (Post 15426561)
Well, as it turned out, they **did** get squirrely about my pad. I kept my voice calm and offered to pull it out and show it to them, at which point I ended up surrounded by four screeners who had a protracted argument amongst themselves about whether they needed for me to turn it over to them.

Fortunately, their lead officer concluded that was not necessary and sent me on my way.

My only real concern whilst in the 'bad bear box' was that if I did have my pad confiscated, how in the heck was I going to manage to walk out of there without making a mess of my underwear, seeing as how I was separated from my purse (and, therefore, my supplies) by 40 feet of crowded pax and pooper-troopers.

Grf. Maybe we can rename to 'bad bear box' the 'menstrual hut' and at least be honest about it.

Am safely home now, thankfully, and done with this madness for at least the next while.

While I'm laughing at your reference to the 'menstrual hut' tm, I am disgusted that it has come to this.

*tm props to mevlannen for coining the term 'menstrual hut' for the holding pen

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop (Post 15431378)
Don't forget the one quart zip top baggie. Try finding that around here! I have reused mine for years, and actually got a few ugly looks because it is very old and torn.

Over the years the bags expand so you can cram in more components, I mean toiletries.

BubbaLoop Dec 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie (Post 15433463)
Over the years the bags expand so you can cram in more components, I mean toiletries.

You are so right! My baggie has stretched diagonally because I tend to pack my (long) toothbrush with my toothpaste (probably the reason why I ended up on the watch list...).